Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

mickEblu

I want all big rides to keep going to Disneyland. DCA sucks and needs to be dropped. We had 20 years of almost nothing at Disneyland so the inferior park would get new rides.

I dunno. Not sure how you feel about Galaxies Edge but if that’s what we ve been missing out on for 20 years I’m cool. I’m also cool without a gigantic show building going inside the berm next to the Matterhorn. So when considering the possibility of expansion options at DL what’s left? Fantasyland theatre and Toontown that’s now getting the Mickey ride. I guess you could say that if there is no DCA then maybe we would have got Oz or Discovery Bay that would have undoubtedly have been more charming than GE. Not to say either of which wouldn’t be demo’d eventually for Star Wars.

Disneylover152

DCA really needs Runaway Railway. The park is like a 3/4-day park plus it still doesn't have enough family rides that everyone can do. I call it a 3/4 day park because it's more than a half-day, and if you actually do everything it is a full day park, but most people are done around 5 and either park hop to Disneyland or waste time til World of Color. Runaway Railway would have just been a really charming addition to the park, and it would have completed a nice roster of must-dos for the park.

Disneyland doesn't need Runaway Railway like DCA does. I would have much rather seen DCA get it and Toontown get saved for Fantasyland expansion.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

DCA really needs Runaway Railway. The park is like a 3/4-day park plus it still doesn't have enough family rides that everyone can do. I call it a 3/4 day park because it's more than a half-day, and if you actually do everything it is a full day park, but most people are done around 5 and either park hop to Disneyland or waste time til World of Color. Runaway Railway would have just been a really charming addition to the park, and it would have completed a nice roster of must-dos for the park.

Disneyland doesn't need Runaway Railway like DCA does. I would have much rather seen DCA get it and Toontown get saved for Fantasyland expansion.
No DCA needs to be turned into a parking lot again or torn down used as an expansion for Disneyland proper.

mickEblu

I also would have preferred MMRR in DCA. Especially not that I’ve seen it. I feel like it would be 10x more charming if it was located in the backlot because what it would do to elevate that area. Not to mention this would probably mean they would plus the whole backlot and hopefully the entire land. It would also possibly spare the land from being Marvel-ized or whatever other single IP land they want to shove in there.

And yeah DCA could really use a family friendly dark ride. I really think it would have gone in DCA if that Eastern Gateway expansion didn’t fall through.

Disneylover152

I also would have preferred MMRR in DCA. Especially not that I’ve seen it. I feel like it would be 10x more charming if it was located in the backlot because what it would do to elevate that area. Not to mention this would probably mean they would plus the whole backlot and hopefully the entire land. It would also possibly spare the land from being Marvel-ized or whatever other single IP land they want to shove in there.

And yeah DCA could really use a family friendly dark ride. I really think it would have gone in DCA if that Eastern Gateway expansion didn’t fall through.

I am just dreaming right now about if DCA got Runaway Railway and they rethemed BVS and Hollywoodland to be a progression of Walt Disney's journey through Hollywood.

You enter BVS in 1923 like it is right now. Once you reach Carthay Circle, you are located in 1938 the day of the premiere of Snow White (they can add stuff like a red carpet and Hollywood premiere lights to the area). Then when you enter Hollywoodland you are in Hollywood after Walt Disney's successes in the 1950/60s, the Silver Age of Walt Disney Animation. They could have rethemed the Animation Building to an old Disney Studio aesthetic, brought a Jungle Book musical in the Hyperion, and Runaway Railway (among other additions).

Ok I got myself excited for something that has no chance of coming😂😂. It could have turned out so cool though.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I am just dreaming right now about if DCA got Runaway Railway and they rethemed BVS and Hollywoodland to be a progression of Walt Disney's journey through Hollywood.

You enter BVS in 1923 like it is right now. Once you reach Carthay Circle, you are located in 1938 the day of the premiere of Snow White (they can add stuff like a red carpet and Hollywood premiere lights to the area). Then when you enter Hollywoodland you are in Hollywood after Walt Disney's successes in the 1950/60s, the Silver Age of Walt Disney Animation. They could have rethemed the Animation Building to an old Disney Studio aesthetic, brought a Jungle Book musical in the Hyperion, and Runaway Railway (among other additions).

Ok I got myself excited for something that has no chance of coming😂😂. It could have turned out so cool though.
Let it go my guy.

SplashGhost

Runaway Railway is exactly the kind of thing that DCA needed, since it doesn't have any good all ages dark rides. Midway Mania, Monsters Inc. and Little Mermaid are all various levels of bad with Monsters Inc. being perhaps the worst C Ticket or Higher ride in the entire resort.

DCA offers little else other than Mission: Breakout, Radiator Springs Racers, Incredicoaster (crap theming, but still a fun coaster), Grizzly River Run, and Soarin' (which I only like when they bring Over California back). Most everything else is a flat ride or an overall lackluster experience.

SuddenStorm

Disneyland would have been just fine continuing to enhance existing attractions- bringing an aging park up to date with modern effects and technology without losing the history and nostalgia guests love. Moves like Galaxy's Edge weren't needed for the park's popularity.

DCA needs all the creative inflow in the world to get it up to where it needs to be.

J4546

its gonna be just fine. and when /if they ever build that eastern parking structure with the sky bridge, then they will add a bunch of stuff to that weak area of the park. And I think that will be coming in a couple years

Disneylover152

It’s kind of like if I went to my next door neighbors house and he had MMRR in his backyard it would be a hell of a lot cooler then it really is. It would be the same way at DCA. At Disneyland it’ll get lost in the shuffle.

Exactly! Disneyland has so much to do that I'm worried Runaway Railway, being tucked into a forgotten corner of the park, will just feel forgotten. Disneyland arguably has too much in it already, meanwhile, DCA struggles to get people to stay for an entire day, and relies on a bunch of flat rides to get people to stay until World of Color.

Depending on who you ask, Disneyland has 9 must-dos (Indy, Pirates, BTM, HM, Splash, RotR, IASW, Matterhorn, Space Mountain), plus so many smaller rides like the FL dark rides and RoA attractions, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, etc. DCA has 6 must-dos (Guardians, RSR, Incredicoaster, TSMM, GRR, and Soarin'), and only one of those is an attraction that the entire family can do (although let's be real, what 3-year-old is able to play Midway Mania). Monster's Inc and Little Mermaid are really the only true family rides that anyone can ride. DCA just needs a big dark ride like Runaway Railway.

George Lucas on a Bench

It's not too late to cancel the ride. After all, the DLR is a complete disaster at this point and not much progress has been made on the building. Enclose it and use it as storage space or something, if anything. There's simply no good reason to proceed with any new construction when there isn't even any guarantee of the park being able to reopen next year. It's a catastrophe and that Cheapek even allowed this project to continue is more baffling than the state I'm in every morning at 5am when I roll over still drunk and coming out of a bizarre dream, or nightmare.

Brer Oswald

It's not too late to cancel the ride. After all, the DLR is a complete disaster at this point and not much progress has been made on the building. Enclose it and use it as storage space or something, if anything. There's simply no good reason to proceed with any new construction when there isn't even any guarantee of the park being able to reopen next year. It's a catastrophe and that Cheapek even allowed this project to continue is more baffling than the state I'm in every morning at 5am when I roll over still drunk and coming out of a bizarre dream, or nightmare.
Keep in mind it’s a clone of an already developed attraction. I don’t see why it would be shelved.

Figments Friend

This was like a decade ago, when people still went to Best Buy. He was in the DVD section looking at TV boxed sets.

In the 2000's, I used to see his Range Rover driving around this neck of the woods with his very distinctive Indy themed custom license plate. If I'd thought about it, I would have stalked him into the parking lot at Bristol Farms last year to see what he's driving now. But I bet he still has the same custom license plate.

He has TWO really cool custom license plates.
I ain'nt saying what they are...but think of two of Tony's very favorite characters of all time that are closely associated with him and you might be able to guess.

P.S. - I had the pleasure once of riding in one of said vehicles.

;)

-

mickEblu

He has TWO really cool custom license plates.
I ain'nt saying what they are...but think of two of Tony's very favorite characters of all time that are closely associated with him and you might be able to guess.

P.S. - I had the pleasure once of riding in one of said vehicles.

;)

-

Brer Rabbit and Figment or Figment and Dreamfinder?

Figments Friend

I met Tony Baxter in Soarin' Around the World.

Fun Fact -

Tony came up with the idea for the 'flying rig' used in the 'Soarin' Attraction.
True story.
I have seen his original drawings.

The drawings he did inspired a fellow Imagineer to build the 'Tinker Toy' model of the rig that proved the concept could work, and the rest is history.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom