Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

mickEblu

Well the neon marque should be part of this version too. The concept for DLs was suppose to be going into TTs El Capitoon Theater with a different queue experience unique to DL. How the experience translates to us jumping into the screen, dunno at this point.

Maybe, it'll be interesting to see what they do.

That’s true there is no reason to believe we won’t get the neon marquee other than I haven’t seen it in the concept art and think it would kind of clash in Toontown aesthetically. Thematically I guess it still works.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s true there is no reason to believe we won’t get the neon marquee other than I haven’t seen it in the concept art and think it would kind of clash in Toontown aesthetically. Thematically I guess it still works.

Here was the concept art they presented at D23:

Runaway-Railway-1-700x394.jpg

While it doesn't have the neon Mickey and Minnie waving; but the letters both on the El Capitoon sign and on the attraction name both look raised like they are neon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree. This is the one current project that doesn't bother me, although I do wish they'd use older character designs for the ride.

I'm glad the project wasn't cancelled.
Well the good thing about the 2.5D projection mapping technology they are using is they can quickly make changes. So in the future if they decided to have a revival of the older designs they can quickly update the attraction. The only physical thing they would need to change is the AA heads to align them more with the mold of the more classic features. Point is its easy to update this attraction in the future, including to have new "adventures" with Mickey and Minnie.

Californian Elitist

Well the good thing about the 2.5D projection mapping technology they are using is they can quickly make changes. So in the future if they decided to have a revival of the older designs they can quickly update the attraction. The only physical thing they would need to change is the AA heads to align them more with the mold of the more classic features. Point is its easy to update this attraction in the future, including to have new "adventures" with Mickey and Minnie.

Yeah, but what are the odds of them doing that?

Nland316

I’m curious if the Toontown revamp is still in the cards to coincide with this attraction. I know it initially was planned.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m curious if the Toontown revamp is still in the cards to coincide with this attraction. I know it initially was planned.
Guessing here, but that is probably a longer term project now with recent economic events the company is going through, if not outright cancelled. So I personally am not expecting much in the next 3 years other than normal sprucing up of the land.

Franklin47disneyguy

Well we already know the entry way is going to be so much better, at least from the concept art. So I would expect them to tweak more stuff and not be an exact clone. The benefit of DL getting the second iteration is they can apply the things they learned from building the DHS version and improve upon it in the DL version.

I hope they improve the tornado scene.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I would have posted these photos in the Disney Land Reopening thread, but my "privilege" to post in there has been revoked. These moderators should be grateful for any activity in this forum.
You‘re forbidden from posting in that thread?
Wow. Ridiculous.

I feel like the DL board is being more heavily moderated than usual.
It's censorship by biased moderators. Shameful, but you see it everywhere these days.
I think you've been pretty much able to say whatever you want on these boards. I can't recall everything you posted but that particular thread became a bit of a mess so I'm not surprised that they blocked a few folks that engaged in some of that conversation.
Huh? How's that? They've been locking and removing threads for months. My posts have also been edited by biased moderators.
I was talking about you specifically. I haven't noticed you getting stuff pulled but I also don't see everything. I've had stuff deleted as well, nothing that's really bothered me though. I guess it's up to them to decide when content crosses the line.
It makes me not want to contribute here. :(

Apologies to those who are expecting Runaway Railway content in this thread, but just wanted to briefly address the above.

Despite numerous requests to stop political, aggressive, insulting, rude, off topic posts, some members continued to do so. Having spent months trying to keep the thread civil and within the rules of the forum, I finally resorted to the last available action, banning @George Lucas on a Bench from that particular thread. That account is so far the only account to have been banned, but others will find themselves in the same position if it continues. I would also make it clear that I do not edit any posts - the only action I take is outright deletion if a post breaches rules.

It is easy to complain at moderation, but some need to realize that an unmoderated forum is not a good place to be. This site would not be 25 years old if it wasn't moderated. And I would also remind you that I'm English, so even though you think I have some special US political agenda, I don't. I moderate on common sense and being kind and respectful to others. Frankly, some of the posts in this section deserve the user to be outright banned from the entire site.

As a reminder, there is a dedicated political section at Politics and Social Issues.

And rules for posting can be seen at https://forums.wdwmagic.com/help/terms/

Back to the original subject of this thread.

In particular:

3. Be courteous and respect your fellow members. To be clear, personal attacks, aggressive messages, and passive-aggressive behavior is unacceptable. If you take particular issue with another user and are unable to reply in a civilised and constructive way to their posts, you should ignore the user.

14. Politcal and social issues discussion should take place only in the Politics and Social Issues forum. Any political posts outside of that board are likely to be deleted without warning.

Stevek

I doubt it. There will probably just be two dead ends terminating at the connector between the entrance building and show building. There’s no reason why it needs to be a thoroughfare.
That's what I was assuming as well. They can just use the service road that is still north of the attraction site.

Disney Analyst

Apologies to those who are expecting Runaway Railway content in this thread, but just wanted to briefly address the above.

Despite numerous requests to stop political, aggressive, insulting, rude, off topic posts, some members continued to do so. Having spent months trying to keep the thread civil and within the rules of the forum, I finally resorted to the last available action, banning @George Lucas on a Bench from that particular thread. That account is so far the only account to have been banned, but others will find themselves in the same position if it continues. I would also make it clear that I do not edit any posts - the only action I take is outright deletion if a post breaches rules.

It is easy to complain at moderation, but some need to realize that an unmoderated forum is not a good place to be. This site would not be 25 years old if it wasn't moderated. And I would also remind you that I'm English, so even though you think I have some special US political agenda, I don't. I moderate on common sense and being kind and respectful to others. Frankly, some of the posts in this section deserve the user to be outright banned from the entire site.

As a reminder, there is a dedicated political section at Politics and Social Issues.

And rules for posting can be seen at https://forums.wdwmagic.com/help/terms/

Back to the original subject of this thread.

In particular:

3. Be courteous and respect your fellow members. To be clear, personal attacks, aggressive messages, and passive-aggressive behavior is unacceptable. If you take particular issue with another user and are unable to reply in a civilised and constructive way to their posts, you should ignore the user.

14. Politcal and social issues discussion should take place only in the Politics and Social Issues forum. Any political posts outside of that board are likely to be deleted without warning.

Thank you: I certainly appreciate you and your team trying to make these forums more civil and a better place to communicate.

On topic:

I’m assuming we were originally looking at a summer 2022 opening, so the 5 month delay makes sense to push this into 2023 instead. I’d also assume materials that they use may be delayed from outside contractors.

So... spring 2023? Or summer is the question.

mharrington

Actually, if they were to change it to the older designs, they would also have to change out the physical set pieces as well, which would be a lot more difficult than just projection mapping.

Also, even though I don't personally care for the 2010s cartoons (or rather, that I can take them or leave them), I will grant that their style does fit the Toontown vibe. I am reminded of an article in the blog "Passport 2 Dreams". Back in 2012, there was an article there about how great Storybook Circus was and how it compared to the likes of Toontown, which apparently was only ever created to cash in on "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and nothing else (where, apparently, the aesthetics of the cartoon city is more akin to Max Fleischer than Disney or Warner Bros. or Lantz, all of which have their own styles that don't seem to fit, according to the author):

The film is wonderful, and it's grown into a real classic. But replicating the style of the "Toontown" sequence into an entire area which only the Disney characters inhabit was a real mistake. That style was only ever devised to make a universe where Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny - two characters who starred in very different films from very different studios - live in the same place and seem credible. The style of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is not that of Disney animation. It wasn't even released as a Disney film, but under the "Touchstone" banner invented by Ron Miller in the early '80s.

There is also something to be said about the wisdom of attempting to recreate this particular visual style at all: buildings designed to move and sway and sing are one thing, but building the style necessarily involves freezing it into plaster and lathe and in that process something is lost.

Yet by 1993, the "Toontown" concept had already spread like crab grass. Some of you may remember the "Bonkers" cartoon of the early 90s, with Bonkers being a Toontown cop, an unacknowledged riff of the Roger Rabbit franchise. What Disneyland built in 1993 is what people of that era would have expected to see, and there is of course a Roger Rabbit ride nearby to motivate the style. But doing so means that the "Toontown" concept was replacing over sixty years of visual continuity of films and in cartoons and even theme parks. Despite the name, this was in no way "Mickey's" Toontown.

Mind you, that article was posted several months before the 2010s Mickey cartoons came out. In fairness, as much as I don't care for the 2010s Mickey cartoons (actually, they are kind of a guilty pleasure with me), they do fit the Toontown vibe pretty well, and it would be difficult (not impossible, just difficult) to change it, not just because the physical set pieces, but also without drawing attention from critics like the Passport 2 Dreams host.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Actually, if they were to change it to the older designs, they would also have to change out the physical set pieces as well, which would be a lot more difficult than just projection mapping.
Incorrect. The whole point of the 2.5d technology is that it maps around physical set pieces and can be changed quickly. So as long as the mappings can fit around the existing pieces those physical pieces can be reused. What is displayed on those physical pieces is actually not really relevant.

Here is a video of a snippet they showed back at D23 in 2017 of the potential of the technology.

Notice how the mapping changes quickly to display another location all without changing the physical set.

mharrington

Incorrect. The whole point of the 2.5d technology is that it maps around physical set pieces and can be changed quickly. So as long as the mappings can fit around the existing pieces those physical pieces can be reused. What is displayed on those physical pieces is actually not really relevant.

Here is a video of a snippet they showed back at D23 in 2017 of the potential of the technology.

Notice how the mapping changes quickly to display another location all without changing the physical set.

Yes, but in the actual ride, the actual transformation from one location to the next happens only once. Let's also not forget about Mickey and Minnie's car or Goofy's train, both of which are physical.

Anyway, if they did change the ride to be more like the 1930s cartoons, which would great, how can they do it? First of all, they would have to change the car and the train. I've seen the old cartoons countless times, and the only train in an old cartoon that I can remember was the 1929 short: "Mickey's Choo-Choo". It does show the engine being uncoupled from the rest of the train, but obviously Goofy wasn't around in those days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom