Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

mharrington

Wanted to copy something I shared in the Permits thread...

I’ve been becoming more and more convinced that the entrance to M&MRR will be taking over Mickey and Minnie’s House. The foundation for the ride is going up, and it doesn’t touch the backside of the City Hall or Gag Factory, where it is rumored to go. Instead, the under-construction show building abuts the backside of Mickey’s House.

Here’s a visual of the construction area:

View attachment 455132

If the entrance was going to be located at City Hall, you would expect the construction zone to cut off the backstage road there, instead of behind Mickey’s House.

Like the HS version, the queue could remain relatively unchanged, up until the theater room, which could be remade identical to the HS version to take you into the new show building instead of Meeting Mickey.

Of course, we have already seen concept art of a new theater facade... and such a facade wouldn’t make sense if the queue starts of inside Mickey’s House. But plans do change...

And is it strange to build your new attraction behind a facade that has existed for 30 odd years? Would some guests assume it’s the same old meet and greet? Well, the HS did just that, with only new signage to tell you something different is there, and it works just fine.

I hope not, and it really doesn't make sense, as @Old Mouseketeer said:

They're in the middle of refurbishing the support area under Mickey's house including projects that specifically support character meet and greets. If your hypothesis were correct, they would be repurposing that area as a subterranean access to the new show building.

In any case, I really hope that this rumor is not true, and it is still taking over the City Hall or something.

Ismael Flores

Wanted to copy something I shared in the Permits thread...

I’ve been becoming more and more convinced that the entrance to M&MRR will be taking over Mickey and Minnie’s House. The foundation for the ride is going up, and it doesn’t touch the backside of the City Hall or Gag Factory, where it is rumored to go. Instead, the under-construction show building abuts the backside of Mickey’s House.

Here’s a visual of the construction area:

View attachment 455132

If the entrance was going to be located at City Hall, you would expect the construction zone to cut off the backstage road there, instead of behind Mickey’s House.

Like the HS version, the queue could remain relatively unchanged, up until the theater room, which could be remade identical to the HS version to take you into the new show building instead of Meeting Mickey.

Of course, we have already seen concept art of a new theater facade... and such a facade wouldn’t make sense if the queue starts of inside Mickey’s House. But plans do change...

And is it strange to build your new attraction behind a facade that has existed for 30 odd years? Would some guests assume it’s the same old meet and greet? Well, the HS did just that, with only new signage to tell you something different is there, and it works just fine.

it could also be that they will wait to add the extention to the building since they need to demo the facade for the city hall. At that point the structure connecting the show building would then go up. There really isn't a need to add the extention right now and have to block of that part of toontown until they are done with the majority of the attraction

Mickeyboof

Just got off the ride. Flew down to experience it, very last minute decision.

Ride broke down, waited for two hours... I had a mango margarita and decided to stick it out.

Review in short- amazing moments. So colorful. I don’t even know what happened, it was so quick and fast.

I’d say too fast. Maybe it was the two hour wait or the margarita, but this ride is W A Y too short. Why are these new rides so short?!

Toontown is gonna be lit with this crazy thing, but it is not a headliner like Rise or Pirates. Does it need to be? Not at Disneyland! It’ll fit smoothly in quaint Disneyland. At Hollywood Studios, it seems a little weak to be the staple center of the park. But we’ve all agreed on that point, so no need to labor over it.

Can’t wait to see this in Toontown in ten years!!

socalifornian

5F7CB68A-ABF5-4A3D-BA65-074A9E39ADC3.jpeg
36D8FEEF-C6F2-4F24-AFA7-66531DE844F9.jpeg

Cranes were just brought to the construction site for the Mickey Mouse ride in Toontown.
Sweet. Mickey’s house is getting some tlc, with the land as a whole going through “beautification”

captveg

Then this has to be the entrance to the ride. so where these pics from yesterday?

No, it doesnt have to be the entrance. Why would the remove a popular meet and greet that should only increase in popularity when the ride open when they can remove the facade of City Hall that has no real attraction value? There's no reason to change those plans.

No Name

As someone who rode it in person and hasn’t watched it on YouTube, I’ll give my thoughts, containing spoilers.

. . .

It’s a solid ride. We started as the first car, which ends as the third car, which is pretty neat. The preshow effect is very impressive and the best part of the entire experience, for better or for worse. The train station queue is charming. The train cars separating from goofy is somewhat unexpected and caused my girlfriend to fall onto me. It’s one loose lap bar for everyone in the row, so the train car separation and conga line parts of the ride are surprisingly intense movement-wise. Exiting out the screen and through a similar-looking preshow theater was a great touch. Finally, goofy being unaware that we were ever gone is a great story decision.

The whole ride is cheesy, but the tornado room is extra cheesy, again, for better or for worse. Regardless, it’s a relatively slow and bare room that could use more visuals. Daisy’s dance studio is another room that doesn’t fit the style or pacing of the rest of the ride. Finally, how Mickey and/or Minnie save us in the end was completely lost on me. We’re in danger, and then suddenly we’re not. I assume they stopped the chomper thing somehow, but I did not see it or anything. That, I would say, is the biggest issue.

Overall, it’s a satisfying attraction. In my opinion, the premise fits the center of DHS very well, and the ride style will fit in Fantasyland/Toontown very well. It’s a solid replacement for the great movie ride and will be a fantastic addition to DL.

If you have any questions please do ask.

Last edited:

mickEblu

As someone who rode it in person and hasn’t watched it on YouTube, I’ll give my thoughts, containing spoilers.

. . .

It’s a solid ride. We started as the first car, which ends as the third car, which is pretty neat. The preshow effect is very impressive and the best part of the entire experience, for better or for worse. The train station queue is charming. The train cars separating from goofy is somewhat unexpected and caused my girlfriend to fall onto me. It’s one loose lap bar for everyone in the row, so the train car separation and conga line parts of the ride are surprisingly intense movement-wise. Exiting out the screen and through a similar-looking preshow theater was a great touch. Finally, goofy being unaware that we were ever gone is a great story decision.

The whole ride is cheesy, but the tornado room is extra cheesy, again, for better or for worse. Regardless, it’s a relatively slow and bare room that could use more visuals. Daisy’s dance studio is another room that doesn’t fit the style or pacing of the rest of the ride. Finally, how Mickey and/or Minnie save us in the end was completely lost on me. We’re in danger, and then suddenly we’re not. I assume they stopped the chomper thing somehow, but I did not see it or anything. That, I would say, is the biggest issue.

Overall, it’s a satisfying attraction. In my opinion, the premise fits the center of DHS very well, and the ride style will fit in Fantasyland/Toontown very well. It’s a solid replacement for the great movie ride and will be a fantastic addition to DL.

If you have any questions please do ask.

I haven’t rode it and pretty much feel the same way. Except I couldn’t get a sense of the motion you mention in those two scenes.

What are your thoughts on the stampede room? It comes off as too bright and bare.

What are your thoughts on the effects in general? Is it impossible to get a sense of how much depth there is from just watching a ride through? There are some scenes like the carnival scene that also come off as a little one dimensional and bare but the colors, content and the fact that it’s a darker room help it out a bit.

I kind of wish every scene was executed on the level of the Big City scene with the moving figure, moving backgrounds, truck prop and just a great mix of practical effects and projections.

Here’s my ranking of scenes...

1. Big City
2. Nighttime Picnic
3. Tunnel
4. Volcano- Waterfall- undersea- Sewer
5. Factory (Mostly because how it transforms into the picnic)
6. Carnival
7. Tornado
8. Daytime Picnic
9. Daisys studio
10. Stampede

Last edited:

No Name

I haven’t rode it and pretty much feel the same way. Except I couldn’t get a sense of the motion you mention in those two scenes.

What are your thoughts on the stampede room? It comes off as too bright and bare.

What are your thoughts on the effects in general? Is it impossible to get a sense of how much depth there is from just watching a ride through? There are some scenes like the carnival scene that also come off as a little one dimensional and bare but the colors, content and the fact that it’s a darker room help it out a bit.

I kind of wish every scene was executed on the level of the Big City scene with the moving figure, moving backgrounds, truck prop and just a great mix of practical effects and projections.

Here’s my ranking of scenes...

1. Big City
2. Nighttime Picnic
3. Tunnel
4. Volcano- Waterfall- undersea- Sewer
5. Factory (Mostly because how it transforms into the picnic)
6. Carnival
7. Tornado
8. Daytime Picnic
9. Daisys studio

The brightness in the stampede room is a problem mainly because the floor is very visible, and it’s big, gray, and not integrated in any way. Why was I looking at the floor? Because at load through to the previous scene, it’s painted like train tracks (at load the rails are even elevated), and at the end of the tunnel, it’s an integral detail to the track split. So the floor quickly goes from being a focal point to something that detracts from the scene.

Additionally, the transition from the 3D Mickey and Minnie in the tunnel to the 2D ones in the stampede room was a bit jarring, especially because their movement is far zippier in 2D. I wish the 3D and 2D elements were integrated better throughout much of the ride. It suffers from big squarish rooms and big gray floors, which makes everything seem relatively flat.

The factory scene is probably the most criminal, where the cars move toward the chomper thing in increments as if they’re on a conveyor belt, but the focal point of the scene is a very obvious flat screen which is met by the ever-present Chipotle-like floor. It‘s overly cheesy and anti-climactic. A physical chomper, and some real smoke and heat, would’ve been so much better.

Lastly, the waterfall simulation could’ve been done better. I understand having no real forward tilt so that there’s no seatbelts and height requirement, but at least when we splash into the water, a little squirt and jolt of movement would be nice. It’s way too still.

Also not sure why the last four “E-ticket” attractions to open in WDW have all been 4.5 minutes long, weird coincidence or mandate?

Last edited:

DisneyLostBoy03

Heard from Fresh Baked that Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway as of now due to the pandemic could have been defunded. I really hope that the attraction would just be delayed and not just cancel it all together. It's the attraction I was looking forward to the most. :(

TROR

Heard from Fresh Baked that Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway as of now due to the pandemic could have been defunded. I really hope that the attraction would just be delayed and not just cancel it all together. It's the attraction I was looking forward to the most. :(
Though I do think it's very possible that ends up happening, I wouldn't trust Fresh Baked as a source for that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Though I do think it's very possible that ends up happening, I wouldn't trust Fresh Baked as a source for that.

Indeed. Fresh Baked doesn't have inside sources. They're just repeating rumors they've heard elsewhere (probably here).

We know that the defunding of MMRR isn't true because Disney, at this point, doesn't know if it's true. And what exactly is meant by "defunded"? Cancelled? Delayed?

On hiatus and delayed... yes, at least that's the case now. Canceled? False rumor.

mickEblu

And even if it is defunded it doesn’t mean it won’t be back in the plans in the future. I’d bet on it being one of the first major things they green light again. With that said, none of this seems terribly important with everything going on. In addition, I’ve already reached a Point where I don’t really look forward to new attractions as I’ve been let down time after time the last few years between GOTG, Pixar Pier, Soarin Around the World and Galaxies Edge. Mickeys Runaway Railway just looked “good” to me on the ride through. Of course, I would welcome it and it would be a great addition to Toontown but nothing extraordinary and I feel they could have done a better job in certain areas.The only thing I think I was really looking forward to was a Tomorrowland retro redo and that’s the one that I fear will probably not happen now for 10 years.

I’ve kind of come to the conclusion that everything I love about the park is from the first 4 decades and will most likely always be there for me to enjoy as the long as they stop stardusting. Anything new that they make that reaches that level of quality is a bonus but I’m not expecting anything anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom