Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

choco choco

I agree. I think it has since become more of a story telling medium and that attractions for the most part are worse off for it. I think Walt and those WED guys were focused on attractions that created amazing atmospheres with no linear stories and where guests could fill in the blanks with their imagination.

Yep. Never forget Tony Baxter's edict: "Nobody listens to the dialogue."

Modern Disney likes to plot out rides. The plot is mostly communicated through exposition, and I'm always like "Who cares?"

RobWDW1971

Modern Disney likes to plot out rides. The plot is mostly communicated through exposition, and I'm always like "Who cares?"
What, you aren't captivated by pirates who are burning down a town, drowning the mayor, looting everything in a drunken gun toting party suddenly stopping to bid on chickens and antiques? I'm fascinated to see how much the third pirate on the left is going to pay for that grandfather clock!

#carribeanantiqueroadshow

Phroobar

I hope this ride is more reliable than RotR since it is just screens with a tracked vehicle. There is no reason for this ride to suffer the same mechanical problems as RotR since the tech is about as simple as Fantasyland dark ride. I hope it is a people eater.

PiratesMansion

Precisely. Which is why I don't understand why modern Disney has characters never shut up in the rides that most people are going to tune out anyway. There's a difference between the cocktail party/atmospheric dialogue of yore to modern yapping narration that's supposed to move us throughout the story, and the show producer is so insecure that we may not be entertained that it simply never stops.

Compare the brevity of the original Haunted Mansion and the respect with which it treats its audience vs the Holiday Mansion spiel that prattles on.
"More rapid than vultures, the mansion was changed." "Even a GINGERBREAD HOUSE may seem scary"
Huh, the mansion changed. Imagine that. Couldn't have figured that out myself. And you really want to make sure I see that giant gingerbread house that I certainly wouldn't have seen otherwise. Got it.

The show vs. tell balance needs to be fixed.

Phroobar

Precisely. Which is why I don't understand why modern Disney has characters never shut up in the rides that most people are going to tune out anyway. There's a difference between the cocktail party/atmospheric dialogue of yore to modern yapping narration that's supposed to move us throughout the story, and the show producer is so insecure that we may not be entertained that it simply never stops.

Compare the brevity of the original Haunted Mansion and the respect with which it treats its audience vs the Holiday Mansion spiel that prattles on.
"More rapid than vultures, the mansion was changed." "Even a GINGERBREAD HOUSE may seem scary"
Huh, the mansion changed. Imagine that. Couldn't have figured that out myself. And you really want to make sure I see that giant gingerbread house that I certainly wouldn't have seen otherwise. Got it.

Part of the charm of the HMH is the rhyme. At least they aren't singing "What's this?" constantly.

Last edited:

DavidDL

"More rapid than vultures, the mansion was changed." "Even a GINGERBREAD HOUSE could seem scary"

Holiday's spiels are a tasteful, welcome addition to the show, in my opinion. Obviously we can tell the Mansion is different but it's a fun narration that plays off the whole, "holiday poem/night before Christmas (the story which Nightmare was originally parodying in storybook format)" structure in a way that isn't overly offensive. By this same logic, we shouldn't have the Ghost Host explain much of anything that is obvious to us. Really, the ghosts like things creepy and unlivable? I couldn't have guessed. The room is stretching? Thank you for narrating how I feel and what I am seeing. -and let's not forget that the early Mansion hallways and séance room (arguably the most egregious offender of overly vocal Holiday spieling) once had narration explaining that the ghosts were having a hard time getting through and that Madame Leota was in fact, attempting to establish contact with those who had passed on.

I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion or anything, love what you love and hate what you hate. I just feel like it's an unfair comparison to compare something that clearly had a fair amount of thought that went into it and has a reason for existing like Holiday's fun, parodying spiels which arguably only hit us in short bursts (outside the hallway scene) to something like.. say, the horrible new Incredicoaster narration and volume levels (which are very "in your face/ears" with their over the top screaming exactly what is going on at uncomfortable volume levels).

Actually, with the poor upkeep Mansion's buggies audio systems had been getting in recent years.. both our points may have been moot. More times than not, I simply received no audio for either version of Mansion while riding. Hopefully that is addressed in it's refurb and is something that is maintained throughout Runaway Railway's lifetime (if it has onboard audio).

RobWDW1971

Nothing will ever compete with the constant shouting in your ear on Chase A Baby.

BrianLo

I hope this ride is more reliable than RotR since it is just screens with a tracked vehicle. There is no reason for this ride to suffer the same mechanical problems as RotR since the tech is about as simple as Fantasyland dark ride. I hope it is a people eater.

It should be, Pooh/Rat/Mystic Manor haven’t had the same problems. I think RoTR is more the sheer layers and layers of systems that causes problems.

PiratesMansion

Part of the charm of the HMH is the rhyme. At least they aren't singing "What's this?" constantly.
YMMV, but for me it was charming once or twice. It became annoying very quickly for subsequent rides.

Holiday's spiels are a tasteful, welcome addition to the show, in my opinion. Obviously we can tell the Mansion is different but it's a fun narration that plays off the whole, "holiday poem/night before Christmas (the story which Nightmare was originally parodying in storybook format)" structure in a way that isn't overly offensive. By this same logic, we shouldn't have the Ghost Host explain much of anything that is obvious to us. Really, the ghosts like things creepy and unlivable? I couldn't have guessed. The room is stretching? Thank you for narrating how I feel and what I am seeing. -and let's not forget that the early Mansion hallways and séance room (arguably the most egregious offender of overly vocal Holiday spieling) once had narration explaining that the ghosts were having a hard time getting through and that Madame Leota was in fact, attempting to establish contact with those who had passed on.

I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion or anything, love what you love and hate what you hate. I just feel like it's an unfair comparison to compare something that clearly had a fair amount of thought that went into it and has a reason for existing like Holiday's fun, parodying spiels which arguably only hit us in short bursts (outside the hallway scene) to something like.. say, the horrible new Incredicoaster narration and volume levels (which are very "in your face/ears" with their over the top screaming exactly what is going on at uncomfortable volume levels).

Actually, with the poor upkeep Mansion's buggies audio systems had been getting in recent years.. both our points may have been moot. More times than not, I simply received no audio for either version of Mansion while riding. Hopefully that is addressed in it's refurb and is something that is maintained throughout Runaway Railway's lifetime (if it has onboard audio).
As the main ride has operated for most of its existence, there's a lot less "here's this obvious thing right in front of you" than HMH, partially because there's just a lot less narration, period. But the only part that stick out to me in that regard would be the stretching room and the hitchhiking ghosts. I suppose they wanted to make sure people understood the gimmick for HMH, but they probably could have scaled it back after boarding the buggies, just as the regular ride does. But then, it's clear many people enjoy the spiel and wordplay, so maybe it's just me after all.

I will agree that Incredicoaster is much more egregious example, as was the redone MK version of Snow White.

DavidDL

..but they probably could have scaled it back after boarding the buggies..

As a huge HMH fan, I will agree with you in at some points, specifically the hallway towards the beginning of the attraction. The nonstop Holiday narration itself at this point doesn't really bother me so much as the loud, singing plants that are competing for your attention. In this instance, I think they should have picked one or the other, either lower the volume on the plants and keep the narration, or simply remove the narration at this point of the ride because the two fighting for our attention is what causes a conflict.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Wait, did I miss something? When did MMRR become a tracked vehicle? Its suppose to be trackless as far I recall, unless something is changing that I didn't hear about.

BTW,

Here is a recent Attractions Magazine article about the DHS version (Warning it has both spoilers and non-spoilers)

Phroobar

Wait, did I miss something? When did MMRR become a tracked vehicle? Its suppose to be trackless as far I recall, unless something is changing that I didn't hear about.

BTW,

Here is a recent Attractions Magazine article about the DHS version (Warning it has both spoilers and non-spoilers)

I heard somewhere the DL version will be tracked to save money on maintenance due to the problems that have with RotR. They didn't want to double their problems.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I heard somewhere the DL version will be tracked to save money on maintenance due to the problems that have with RotR. They didn't want to double their problems.
Interesting, do we have that from a reputable insider? Because I thought the whole allure of this attraction besides it starring Mickey and Minnie is that its trackless as the train cars separate you and give you a unique experience.

Last edited:

DisneyLostBoy03

Interesting, do we have that from a reputable insider? Because I though the whole allure of this attraction besides it starring Mickey and Minnie is that its trackless as the train cars separate you and give you a unique experience.
I really hope that the attraction remains trackless. If not, it would remove a part of what makes the ride truly unique despite it being a trackless ride. It's suppose to give guests in each car a very unique experience, that way it would feel different each time you visit the attraction.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

YMMV, but for me it was charming once or twice. It became annoying very quickly for subsequent rides.

As the main ride has operated for most of its existence, there's a lot less "here's this obvious thing right in front of you" than HMH, partially because there's just a lot less narration, period. But the only part that stick out to me in that regard would be the stretching room and the hitchhiking ghosts. I suppose they wanted to make sure people understood the gimmick for HMH, but they probably could have scaled it back after boarding the buggies, just as the regular ride does. But then, it's clear many people enjoy the spiel and wordplay, so maybe it's just me after all.

I will agree that Incredicoaster is much more egregious example, as was the redone MK version of Snow White.
We may have to kiss

Phroobar

Interesting, do we have that from a reputable insider? Because I thought the whole allure of this attraction besides it starring Mickey and Minnie is that its trackless as the train cars separate you and give you a unique experience.
Nothing I would consider reputable. Then again I don't consider a lot of people reputable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom