Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I've tried to look for pictures of that thing, but it seems that the only ones I could find are from Yesterland, where that picture came from. What I would like to find is a shot of the complete boat, before it was severed in two ahead of its closure for the big DCA overhaul at that time. Videos of it on YouTube are hard to come by, too.

This is sort of the whole thing.....

Old Mouseketeer

And also, I'm not entirely sure if it's still on the table at this point (maybe it is, maybe it isn't), but wasn't there a rumor some time ago about creating a small Toontown-like area in Disneyland Paris somewhere (likely between their Small World and their Star Tours) so that that park could have Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway as well?

No reason it couldn't go into the Studios park.

mharrington

This is sort of the whole thing.....

So, if those two pieces are separated from one another and so far away from one another, how could the S.S. Rustworthy be used for inspiration for improving Donald's Boat like that? The two sections of the Rustworthy are so far apart that it's not obvious from the ground level that they had been part of the same boat.

Phroobar

I've tried to look for pictures of that thing, but it seems that the only ones I could find are from Yesterland, where that picture came from. What I would like to find is a shot of the complete boat, before it was severed in two ahead of its closure for the big DCA overhaul at that time. Videos of it on YouTube are hard to come by, too.
The boat was always in two pieces from day 1. That is part of the "joke".

mharrington

The boat was always in two pieces from day 1. That is part of the "joke".

Okay, but I would like to know how we can apply the things to do there to Donald's Boat, which is still a full-looking boat. How can we apply those activities from the S.S. Rustworthy to Donald's Boat so it can actually be fun again?

TP2000

Okay, but I would like to know how we can apply the things to do there to Donald's Boat, which is still a full-looking boat. How can we apply those activities from the S.S. Rustworthy to Donald's Boat so it can actually be fun again?

To make Donald's Boat fun again you'd have to pass meaningful Tort Reform in this country in order to prevent future lawsuits from rolled ankles or skinned knees or head bumps.

mharrington

To make Donald's Boat fun again you'd have to pass meaningful Tort Reform in this country in order to prevent future lawsuits from rolled ankles or skinned knees or head bumps.

Is this "tort reform" you speak of one big reason why the S.S. Rustworthy was removed? Or was that just to clear the way for the overhaul at the time?

TP2000

Is this "tort reform" you speak of one big reason why the S.S. Rustworthy was removed? Or was that just to clear the way for the overhaul at the time?

I'm afraid American Tort Reform, whenever it does or does not happen, is a much bigger issue than the S.S. Rustworthy, Presented by McDonalds.

rustworthy_entrance2001tm.jpg

They removed that A- Ticket attraction purely for the overhaul of the time.

mharrington

I'm afraid American Tort Reform, whenever it does or does not happen, is a much bigger issue than the S.S. Rustworthy, Presented by McDonalds.

rustworthy_entrance2001tm.jpg

They removed that A- Ticket attraction purely for the overhaul of the time.

So does that mean that Donald's Boat being redesigned to function more like the S.S. Rustworthy would not be able to work in this day and age? I'm not sure I follow. I'm sure it could work if the structure was rebuilt. I was looking for full images and videos to see how it could work, because I was intrigued by this concept as a way to overhaul Donald's Boat into making it fun again.

And really, since this idea is really armchair Imagineering anyway, we should continue our discussion on this in the Imagineering section (for which I have already made up a whole thread: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/donalds-boat-overhaul-in-mickeys-toontown.958145/), so we can get back to dedicating this thread to Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.

0 minute wait!

You said that already.

Phroobar

Well for one thing, get Donald's boat buttons and sound effects working again. I'm not sure if we will ever get the climbing cargo net back. Imagine fifteen kids trying to climb the net and falling back down on each other or kids jumping from the top down on kids climbing up. Of course all the adults aren't controlling their spawn. They are too busy staring at their twitter feeds.

mharrington

Well for one thing, get Donald's boat buttons and sound effects working again. I'm not sure if we will ever get the climbing cargo net back. Imagine fifteen kids trying to climb the net and falling back down on each other or kids jumping from the top down on kids climbing up. Of course all the adults aren't controlling their spawn. They are too busy staring at their twitter feeds.

No, the cargo net is probably never coming back. But what if the area surrounding the boat was replaced with wet, spongy material to make it less conducive to scraped knees if kids fall down on the surface?

Remember, however, all of this talk is just armchair Imagineering, though, so it should go in the Imagineering thread, not here.

mharrington

I've been seeing a lot of talk about "Donald's Boat." I've never even been in there. Isn't it a play area for babies? Is that what this community has been reduced to?

Well, since it's an idea for one way to improve Toontown as a whole, as an example of armchair Imagineering, I've been trying to get people to continue the discussion on the Imagineering thread, where it would fit a lot better than here. I've even created a whole thread for that: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/donalds-boat-overhaul-in-mickeys-toontown.958145/. However, people seem to want to continue the discussion here instead of there.

I really want this discussion to continue, but not here in the Disneyland Resort page area. Let's get back to discussing Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.

TROR

Well, since it's an idea for one way to improve Toontown as a whole, as an example of armchair Imagineering, I've been trying to get people to continue the discussion on the Imagineering thread, where it would fit a lot better than here. I've even created a whole thread for that: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/donalds-boat-overhaul-in-mickeys-toontown.958145/. However, people seem to want to continue the discussion here instead of there.

I really want this discussion to continue, but not here in the Disneyland Resort page area. Let's get back to discussing Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.
Is there something new to discuss about the railroad ride that we're ignoring in favor of discussing Donald's boat?

A topic should dissolve itself based on its own momentum.

Last edited:

Disneylover152

Honestly all Toontown needs is just a land-wide refurbishment. Close the land for a month or two like they did with Critter Country in 2016 and fix everything. Repaint, make everything up to code with the interactive activities (I find it hard to believe places like McDonalds can have a PlayPlace but Disneyland can't have a singular slide). Fix Donald's Boat, Goofy's House and Chip n' Dales Treehouse, somehow make it a place people want to go in and see. Chip n' Dale's Treehouse is sad, honestly just demo it at this point. Make Donald's Boat into a splash pad, add the Tokyo interactive game into Goofy's House. It's not hard to fix up the land and revitalize it, they need to just put the effort & money into it. I think they should close Toontown 2 months before Runaway Railway opens, and then reopen the land with Runaway Railway completely refurbished.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom