Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

el_super

Your experience does not reflect the vast majority of guests, both "hardcore" fans and not, who have struggled to get free boarding groups this past week. You realize that we have hard data supporting this, right?

LOL. Where? Where is this data?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Your experience does not reflect the vast majority of guests, both "hardcore" fans and not, who have struggled to get free boarding groups this past week.
I genuinely don't care. You don't design your queuing system to optimize opening week. You optimize based on what you project your steady state to be, and you absorb the initial blows as best you can.

lazyboy97o

Cosmic Rewind is Galaxy's Edge or Hagrid's. Runway Railway in its first week of operations is Galaxy's Edge or Hagrid's. Tron, for a period of time, will be Galaxy's Edge or Hagrid's.
It’s somewhat telling that you’re using the example of Hagrid’s and not Velocicoaster. Hagrid’s has never really operated reliably and to the capacity it was intended. Velocicoaster is newer and incredibly highly regarded, it’s not lacking in demand but it typically has lower waits than Hagrid’s because it operates reliably and has great capacity.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It’s somewhat telling that you’re using the example of Hagrid’s and not Velocicoaster. Hagrid’s has never really operated reliably and to the capacity it was intended. Velocicoaster is newer and incredibly highly regarded, it’s not lacking in demand but it typically has lower waits than Hagrid’s because it operates reliably and has great capacity.
I didn't bring up Hagrid's, @celluloid did and I was quoting him.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Oh great, sounds like you know the answer to the question, what is it?

Minnie Mouse is a nearly 95 year old character with exceptionally well established character and personality traits. Is there precedent for her kicking small animals or is this a new character dynamic in this new version?
In Minnie Mouse’s first ever appearance in a Disney cartoon Mickey tries to “because of the implications” her into hooking up with him on a private airplane before force-kissing her against her will. So spare me the purity complaints.

celluloid

For some reason everyone expected this to be different and I can’t figure why. Has anyone every looked up on Peter Pan’s Flight? Or WDW IASW? Or Buzz?
From a theme park designer standpoint, there are differences of why this is more noticeable in MMRR.

The sets are tall and have action sometimes pretty far up, so you naturally want to look up. Being projections there are grids and lighting hanging above you that are needed to project in that space and the floor often is rather bare because of the projections. There is not that much close to you in the foreground to draw your attention to things other than being aware of the ceiling and things stay pretty bright all the way up. This is particularly noticeable when you start out early on in a more enclosed space and go back to big open ones. Your eyes want to take it all in.
For comparison, Haunted Mansion has finished ceilings when you are expected to look up at a lower ceiling, such as the Corridor of Doors painted a go away color but not too distracting. Nothing is wide open there. It keeps the enclosed space and interest on the doors. Later, in the Ballroom things are more open and go into darkness again. After that you have the Ballroom and Attic with finished ceiling thematic and closed space until you go into the open "night" with blinking stars in the grand open cemetery jamboree. Of course, you then end with mostly finished tall walls to darkness and back to catacombs again. Disney has done it plenty of times, MMRR did not bother in a lot of ways with this. Besides Daisy's dance hall and the early track switch scene, there is not much in the way of finished ceiling's at MMRR, yet the general population are always drawn to looking up as you are in front of you. At one point in the dome screen, you are even encouraged to.

You also hope that this new attraction built 50 to 60 plus years after most of your list could have learned some things from Pirates or Haunted Mansion on having a themed and finished ceiling when guests are most likely to visibly be attracted to it.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That's cool by me! If I'm paying money to go somewhere and I choose to spend my day waiting for a ride that's a choice I should be able to make.

Having been to Epcot before I'd prioritize doing the new ride.
Okay. If you think standing in line for hours is better than clicking your phone three times, I guess there's no room for us to find any agreement. I think you're nuts.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Standing in line for hours is better than not receiving a boarding group and being unable to ride the attraction at all.
No it isn't.

When will you address this criticism?
If X people want to ride, and capacity is Y, and X > Y, then not everyone is going to get to ride! If there's not enough capacity for every person to get a boarding group, then there's not enough capacity for everyone to ride standby, either.

You dont Seem to understand how theme parks have always operated.
"This is how we've always done it" is a surefire way to never improve.

RobWDW1971

In Minnie Mouse’s first ever appearance in a Disney cartoon Mickey tries to “because of the implications” her into hooking up with him on a private airplane before force-kissing her against her will. So spare me the purity complaints.
Exactly. Mickey got to Mickey. He’s been trying to hit that in nearly every way possible for over 90 years as you note.

Completely consistent with his character and core motivation.

Now, when did Minnie start kicking small animals (unintentionally) for yucks again?

Nirya

Virtual queue still feels like Disney creating a solution and then looking for a problem with it. There was nothing particularly wrong with opening a new ride to standby lines - even doing Fastpass with them was not a major problem. I think back to the GotG: MB opening, where I somehow happened to be there opening weekend and waited 3 hours to ride. Sure, we were shuffled into temporary queue spaces backstage as much as possible, but for us the sacrifices were fine since it was a brand-new experience.

People will typically know when a new ride is opening, and they can make the choice whether to sacrifice their time waiting to ride the new thing or do something else with that time commitment. That's just basic opportunity cost economics. Slapping a virtual queue on top of the existing system just creates headaches and problems for the average guest and for the poor castmembers who have to deal with the angry guests created by your stupid system. If they just did standby and LL, that would have been a perfectly-fine solution.

Consumer

No it isn't.
Wait 3 hours and get on the ride vs not get the ride at all. Hmm, I wonder which the average guest would choose.
If X people want to ride, and capacity is Y, and X > Y, then not everyone is going to get to ride! If there's not enough capacity for every person to get a boarding group, then there's not enough capacity for everyone to ride standby, either.
Strange how that's never been a problem before.
"This is how we've always done it" is a surefire way to never improve.
Don't fix what ain't broke.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom