Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I will say the ride didn’t stop once during our ride yesterday which is so rare these days. I’m sure I just got lucky. Mario Kart stopped 2-3x on both of my rides.
There’s a couple clever things built into the ride to help it avoid stoppages. Of course there’s just some room for trains to stack up at the end if need be, like at IASW. But the autonomous nature of the vehicles gives them some extra flex and they use it. The trick that I have personally experienced is an extra long dance scene with Daisy that triggers if unload is getting backed up. When that happens, you break the illusion a bit because the next train is all up in your business as you’re leaving the dance studio. But it’s better than an outright stoppage. I am not sure how many scenes have flex points like this, but I would assume enough to accommodate a full round of trains.

gerarar

Premium Member
There’s a couple clever things built into the ride to help it avoid stoppages. Of course there’s just some room for trains to stack up at the end if need be, like at IASW. But the autonomous nature of the vehicles gives them some extra flex and they use it. The trick that I have personally experienced is an extra long dance scene with Daisy that triggers if unload is getting backed up. When that happens, you break the illusion a bit because the next train is all up in your business as you’re leaving the dance studio. But it’s better than an outright stoppage. I am not sure how many scenes have flex points like this, but I would assume enough to accommodate a full round of trains.
I believe there's a hold at the underwater segment. They just keep you facing the "screen" with some extra animation and whatnot.

There's also a hold right before the tornado. Mickey/Minnie go down in their balloon thingy but the RV doesn't proceed to the tornado.

lazyboy97o

If it was still pulling 60 minute waits on low crowd days, it wouldn’t have closed.
This is such a ridiculous metric. I’m a well designed park with adequate capacity no attraction should have a 60 minute wait on low visitation days (crowding is relative and can be manipulated). Aiming for decent 1.5 attractions per guest per hour means most days that shouldn’t be the wait for most attractions.

No Name

This is such a ridiculous metric. I’m a well designed park with adequate capacity no attraction should have a 60 minute wait on low visitation days (crowding is relative and can be manipulated). Aiming for decent 1.5 attractions per guest per hour means most days that shouldn’t be the wait for most attractions.
Unfortunately in Disney’s ideal world, guests could hit 1.5 attractions per hour with 60 minute standby waits, because they purchased Genie+ and ILL!

Brer Oswald

I always waited for GMR, but it was never a ridiculous wait. Usually 15-20 minutes, which is what I consider to be a “decent wait”. Who wants to wait 60 minutes or more for anything?

Soleurs

In the Parks
Yes
I mean, it's SUPER convenient to blame everything on Iger, but it strikes me as lazy and overly-simple. When Iger left, Disney's leadership structure for the parks looked like this:

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts​

• Josh D'Amaro – Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
    • Michael Colglazier – President of Disney Parks International
      • Rebecca Campbell – President, Disneyland Resort
        • Vice President, Disneyland Park - Jon Storbeck
        • Vice President, Disney's California Adventure Park - Mary Niven
        • Vice President, Downtown Disney and Disneyland Resort Hotels - Daniel Delcourt
      • Jeff Vahle– President- Walt Disney World Resort
        • Senior Vice President of Operations and Next Generation Experiences, Walt Disney World Resort - Jim MacPhee
          • Vice President, Magic Kingdom - Kevin Myers
          • Vice President, Epcot - Melissa Valiquette
          • Vice President, Disney's Hollywood Studios - Phil Holmes
          • Vice President, Disney's Animal Kingdom - Djuan Rivers
          • Vice President, Downtown Disney - Keith Bradford
          • Vice President, Resort Operations - Thomas Mazloum
          • Vice President, ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and Disney Water Parks - Kristen Osborne
          • Vice President, Transportation Operations and Maintenance - Jim Vendur
          • Vice President, Global Promotions, Disney Destinations LLC.– Greg Albrecht
      • Natacha Rafalski – CEO, Euro Disney S.C.A. (Disneyland Paris)
        • Senior Vice President of Operations, Disneyland Paris - Joe Schott
    • Bill Ernest – President and Managing Director, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, Asia
      • Stephanie Young - Managing Director, Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
        • Vice President, Park Operations - Noble Coker
        • Vice President, Hotel Operations - Peter Lowe
        • Vice President, Marketing - Maple Lee
        • Vice President, Sales and Travel Trade Marketing - Aliana Ho
      • Philipe Gas - Chairman and CEO, Tokyo Disney Resort (Oriental Land Company)
        • President and Chief Operations Officer, Tokyo Disney Resort (Oriental Land Company) - Kyoichiro Uenishi
        • President of Walt Disney Attractions Japan - Nick Franklin
          • Vice President and Executive Managing Director, Walt Disney Attractions Japan - Dave Vermeulen
      • Karl Holz – President, Disney Cruise Line
        • Senior Vice President of Operations, Disney Cruise Line - Tom Wolber
      • Claire Bilby – President, Disney Vacation Club
    • Chief Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering - Bob Weis
    • Chief Design and Project Delivery Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering - Craig Russell
    • Senior Vice President of Operations Integration/line of Business - Erin Wallace
    • Senior Vice President, Conservation & Environmental Sustainability - Jerry Montgomery
    • Senior Vice President of Global Sports Enterprises - Ken Potrock
    • Senior Vice President, Corporate Responsibility - Kerry Chandler
    • Senior Vice President of Worldwide Travel Operations - Kevin Lansberry
    • Senior Vice President of Corporate Alliances & Operating Participants - George Aguel
    • Executive Vice President, Human Resources, Diversity & Inclusion - Tami Garcia
    • Executive Vice President, Public Affairs - Alannah Hall-Smith
    • Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer - Jim Hunt
    • Executive Vice President, Global Marketing - Leslie Ferraro
    • Executive Vice President, International Development - Mike Crawford
    • Executive Vice President, New Business Development and Next Generation Experiences - Nick Franklin
    • Vice President, Animals, Science and Environment - Jackie Ogden, PhD
But somehow Iger is directly responsible for everything you hate about the parks? He's ultimately responsible for the entire company, but I'm pretty sure he didn't even know about parking fees! And now that he's becoming aware of how some things have affected public sentiment, customer satisfaction, and investor confidence, he's paying attention to some of them (and some are changing).

Mikey and Minnie's Runaway Railway in Toontown is a big addition to the park. But it also represents the new direction for Disney animation (an Iger initiative) and a respect for its history (something Iger at least pretends). If you want to blame Iger for everything bad, at least be consistent and give him credit for anything good.
Philippe Gas was president of WDAJ, the CEO of OLC since the 90s has been Toshio Kagami.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The specific number wasn’t the point and I know you’re smart enough to know that. if it was popular and not just beloved it would still be there.

Attachments

• F674E98E-E678-4F7B-8651-E82FD6F857D8.jpeg
    F674E98E-E678-4F7B-8651-E82FD6F857D8.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 56

MK-fan

I tried to reserve today at 7am right on the dot and I got an error, I couldn’t believe it. Makes me not even wanna go today.

lazyboy97o

The specific number wasn’t the point and I know you’re smart enough to know that. if it was popular and not just beloved it would still be there.
It was a bad point that completely buys into Disney’s decision to consciously make your experience worse. You don’t want a bunch of waits above 30 minutes. You want things people can easily get on. And in the case of The Great Movie Ride, Disney had even found someone else who was willing to help pay for it. The park still desperately needs capacity and still having The Great Movie Ride would have been a benefit to the park experience.

TP2000

Philippe Gas was president of WDAJ, the CEO of OLC since the 90s has been Toshio Kagami.

Thank you.

There's also quite a few errors in that list on the American side of things too. Some of the erroneous names are years and years out of date.

TP2000

Why didn’t they have the store open with the new ride? Talk about piecemeal

Plus most of Toontown is walled off and closed. It makes you wonder what all the rush was to get this opened?

Did someone claim January 27th as the kickoff to Disney100 too soon? If most of the new stuff won't be ready until early March, why not wait until early March to kick off the big marketing campaign? Was the President's Day weekend in February too lucrative to pass up?

It seems very weird to do a big campaign like this. Imagine if they opened Cars Land in June with only Racers opened, and curtains and walls up to cover up the closed land that didn't open until August.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
GMR needed an update to be sure but given it’s placement in the park and theme it was clearly designed as the thesis statement of the park.

Replacing GMR with with MMRR is akin to replacing Spaceship Earth with Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. It upsets the thematic balance and vocal point of the park. And it speaks to TDO misunderstanding their audience.

What should add more insult to injury is there is still plenty of space to add MMRR elsewhere in DHS… a park with a meager number of attractions as it is.

Not quite, they own Buzz and dont have to rent.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Plus most of Toontown is walled off and closed. It makes you wonder what all the rush was to get this opened?

Did someone claim January 27th as the kickoff to Disney100 too soon? If most of the new stuff won't be ready until early March, why not wait until early March to kick off the big marketing campaign? Was the President's Day weekend in February too lucrative to pass up?

It seems very weird to do a big campaign like this. Imagine if they opened Cars Land in June with only Racers opened, and curtains and walls up to cover up the closed land that didn't open until August.

Just like Galaxy;s Edge ? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom