Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Rich T

Simple...
It’s a D ticket. It’s fun, but it’s flat, shallow, and full of wasted empty space. It’s a ride through large, cold warehouse rooms, with guests watching cartoons projected on the walls. Except for Pluto, the handful of AAs look terrible.

But the ride’s still fun.

Last edited:

TP2000

Oh I thought the general consensus was that Smugglers Run and Star Tours were D tickets. So ROTR and Star Tours are both E tickets? Something seems wrong with that.

Star Tours isn't nearly as popular as it was in the 80's and 90's, and even more so now that Star Wars Land opened.

But Star Tours is a major thrill attraction. It was definitely an E when it opened. I also factor in the global standard for rides, where Star Tours is still an E Ticket in Orlando and Paris and Tokyo. In Tokyo, they kept tickets into the 1990's, and Star Tours was an E Ticket there at that time.

Millennium Falcon is like Star Tours on steroids with a vastly bigger budget and footprint and much longer experience overall. I could be wooed, under the right circumstances and if the right fan buys me a drink and coos and whispers into my ear about how knowledgeable of inane Disneyland trivia that I am, to downgrade Star Tours to a D Ticket 35 years after it opened. But Millennium Falcon? Nope. It may not be the best ride in the world, but it's visually/operationally impressive and lotso fun and definitely an E Ticket.

I get it that MMRR doesn't have physical thrills (hey now!) or a height requirement, but it seems to be a very high quality attraction with a fabulously themed queue, a rather elaborate pre-show experience, and a very unique and impressive ride experience. The queue especially seems to be plussed up from its DHS version. Just because DHS kind of stinks as a theme park and is missing at least a dozen rides, if not two dozen, doesn't mean that the slightly improved version of a DHS ride in Disneyland gets dropped down a notch on the ratings scale.

I'm going forward with MMRR as an E Ticket. A family E Ticket. A cute E Ticket. A wild n' wacky E Ticket that grandma and baby can both go on. But still an E Ticket.

Last edited:

TP2000

Out of curiosity what do you rank Incredicoaster (no themed queue, very popular), Roger Rabbit (heavily themed queue)?

Incredicoaster = E Ticket. It's a physically massive, high energy roller coaster. The only ride in Anaheim that turns you upside down. Yeah, the Bob Chapek chase-a-baby plot is stupid and the Paul Pressler cheap-butt queue has never been fixed, but the ride itself is an E Ticket. It's physically the largest and longest roller coaster in Disney's global roster. If the 80 second long Tron coaster is an E Ticket, then Incredicoaster is too.

Roger Rabbit = C Ticket. But gosh darnit it's awfully close to a D! It's got the spinning effect of the B Ticket Teacups, and a slightly larger than normal set design compared to it's 1950's brothers and sisters in Fantasyland. But it's still a C Ticket. A darn good one, and a great benchmark for what classic C Ticket dark rides should be. But it's still a C Ticket.

PiratesMansion

I think Smuggler's is trash. Definitely another __ (C? D? Take your pick) ticket in E ticket clothing.

Just seemed like a lot of hype for a ride that does what Star Tours has already done before, but worse. And only has one mission.

That said, Star Tours was noticeably less popular during my last visit than it was pre-GE. Part of which is that Star Tours is not New Hotness, and part of it is because WDI, in their infinite wisdom, gave BOTH GE attractions moments where they just cosplay as Star Tours for awhile (ROTR) or the entire thing (MFSR). Hopefully over time people will notice that Smugglers is just the Disney Live Action Remake of Star Tours, and just like the others, it pales in comparison to the original if you can get past the SHINY of it all.

Incredicoaster isn't detailed or cohesive enough to be an E for me either. It's certainly fit as one in the context of DCA 2001, it's plenty thrilling for a Disney ride, and the length, height, speed, etc. are there. Even SDMT is more detailed and themed, mediocre as that ride is. Maybe I'm just still salty about that particular DCA retheme, but for me? It'll never be a true E.

Last edited:

mharrington

Cartoons might not be a good fit for you. Between Donald trying to murder some annoying chipmunks and or Mickey giving his own dog drugs to turn him big and strong for the intention of violently attacking Pete. That's not responsible per ownership right there.

Or the party for Pluto where Mickey lets his nephews abuse Pluto and Mickey feeds him what appears to be chocolate cake.

Now, I know cartoons are not reality and different rules apply, but some people can't make that distinction and perhaps should stay away from things which trigger them so.

Or that time when Donald hypnotized Pluto into acting like various other animals against his will:

Centauri Space Station

I think DHS version works fine where it is. It’s Disneys most iconic op so I think it fits in the main headliner spot. DLs queue looks a lot better but if they added cartoony stuff to the Chinese theater queue there would be lots of complaints no doubt.

TP2000

And at the end of the video, they play the theme from the Goofy cartoons! Interesting...

Isn't that because Goofy takes over the ride?

In the pre-show, the theater screen blows up and Goofy invites you to "step in" and then we enter his cartoon world where he's the train engineer and then something goes horribly wrong (track switch!) and craziness and pandemonium ensues for several minutes until it all gets fixed and we end with a big musical number and Goofy returns to bring us back to the unload area. Exit to your right! Gift shop!

mharrington

Isn't that because Goofy takes over the ride?

In the pre-show, the theater screen blows up and Goofy invites you to "step in" and then we enter his cartoon world where he's the train engineer and then something goes horribly wrong (track switch!) and craziness and pandemonium ensues for several minutes until it all gets fixed and we end with a big musical number and Goofy returns to bring us back to the unload area. Exit to your right! Gift shop!
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the music loop in the land. Many, myself included, have been concerned that the whole music loop, comprised of snippets of the old cartoons, has been totally redone for the land, as per the many videos put up of the ride in general and the queue and surrounding area in particular. About the only parts I recognized were the song from the closing credits of the "Mickey Mouse" series (which has lyrics for it in "The Adorable Couple") and "The Mickey Mouse Club March". However, the usage of the Goofy theme at the end of the opening ceremonies leads me to hope that it will be shown in the music loop of the land. In fact, it was once used in the land (though it had been cut years ago).

DCBaker

Premium Member
The Individual Lightning Lane for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway is priced at $20 on opening day.

IMG_FF35CF09B324-1.jpeg

Newtwo

Virtual queue was gone within 1 second.

I don't remember Rise going that fast opening day. It was at least available for a few seconds.

They must have most spots allocated for lighting lane.

Pure greed.

mickEblu

Virtual queue was gone within 1 second.

I don't remember Rise going that fast opening day. It was at least available for a few seconds.

They must have most spots allocated for lighting lane.

Pure greed.

Wow. I struck out. “Looks like you’re going to school son.” Lol. Ive had this reservation for 3 months. They should at least let people with a reservation purchase an ILL without having to be in the park. May or may not go to the park and try again at 1pm. I’m sure ILL’s will be sold out by then.

To add insult to injury they’ll ding us if we don’t show up for our reservation.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

This again?
Yep, wanted to make a point that wasn’t brought up in this specific thread in my own words and I feel it deserves to be heard. But yeah, Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse.. ignored/forgotten/not utilized as part of his history ‘again’… can’t be just a coincidence.. In regards to having further discussion, we already had it in another thread. I’m not adding anymore here. I promise. But it still comes off as ‘really’ weird & off-putting to me how Disney continuously does this to such an important part of Mickey’s history in regards to tv animation. Not just his debut in an original animated series ‘but’ the first series produced entirely in HD resolution. My opinion on the projects that came after that isn’t important, what ‘is’ though is the erasure/non-acknowledgement of that part of his history in ‘every capacity’. ‘That’ is weird & doesn’t make any logical sense.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom