Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Disney Analyst

You would like this salad I’ve been getting from Gus’s BBQ in Porter Ranch minus the blue cheese crumbles…

mixed greens, blue cheese crumbles, candied peanuts, cornbread croutons, louisiana peanut dressing. The dressing is vinegar based. The croutons are great. Are slightly crispy but also have some chew to them

That sounds delicious (minus the blue cheese, it’s the one thing I cannot eat, I loathe blue cheese).

Chupaca Bruh

We rode the WDW version a few weeks ago and really liked it. It does have a couple problem spots as well as not being able to see everything depending on what location your car is in. Some of it works very well, some is fine but no big deal and a couple spots are less than good. After having seen a ride through of the new Disneyland version there are a couple changes in small scenes. One has been swapped out to something new and one is just new because the travel path changes. And the travel path changed quite a bit in some areas.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
I've mentioned this before in the WDW Runaway Railway thread, but it seems pertinent watching videos of the DL version - Does anyone else take issue with the ceilings in Runaway Railway?

Photos from the ride in Spoilers:

View attachment 694969

View attachment 694970

View attachment 694971

I just . . . for a ride that claims to immerse you in a cartoon world, they're really cutting things short on the immersion part. So much of the ride is relegated to being essentially a projection-mapped mural. Imagine how massively better it would be if the ceilings were also being projected on, or even just painted the color of the sky. Pirates of the Caribbean had better ceilings in 1967 than Runaway Railway does in the 2020's. Shooting stars and drifting clouds!

Would we have loved these rides so much if their scenes had looked like this?:

View attachment 694976

View attachment 694973
I personally think the abrupt cut-offs in the ceiling (and floors) were less noticeable in person then in videos and POVs. When I rode the DHS version, I found myself more immersed sitting there in the physical RV that I really didn't notice the blackness if you look up, which is probably attributed to many things to look at and many things happening on the projections and whatnot.

It's also very colorful and bright in person, something that caught me by surprise. Like someone said earlier, it's very "cheerful" and "happy".

Rich T

Yes those poor cartoon animals are truly suffering. They are kid cartoons and people know it's all fictional and for fun.

Mickey spinning the tail of a cat like a victrolla to play a song is a funny scene and nothing else.

Also since when are Mickey and Minnie heroes? I never got that impression.
I guess you haven’t seen many Mickey cartoons, or have a narrow definition of what a hero is.

Again, what was accepted in the 1920s is not necessarily appropriate for 2023.

We are talking about Pluto being kicked by Minnie Mouse. This is like Charlie Brown kicking Snoopy in a 2023 cartoon. It just shows a complete lack of respect for what Walt Disney and his animators spent decades refining, as well as the cluelessness of current Disney and whoever wrote that gag for the MMRR preshow.

Rich T

I've mentioned this before in the WDW Runaway Railway thread, but it seems pertinent watching videos of the DL version - Does anyone else take issue with the ceilings in Runaway Railway?

View attachment 694969

View attachment 694970

View attachment 694971

I just . . . for a ride that claims to immerse you in a cartoon world, they're really cutting things short on the immersion part. So much of the ride is relegated to being essentially a projection-mapped mural. Imagine how massively better it would be if the ceilings were also being projected on, or even just painted the color of the sky. Pirates of the Caribbean had better ceilings in 1967 than Runaway Railway does in the 2020's. Shooting stars and drifting clouds!

View attachment 694976

View attachment 694973
When I rode it at WDW, the high, visible warehouse ceilings and empty, cold space everywhere certainly didn’t help the ride. It’s one of the main reasons that, while I generally enjoy MMRR, I find it kinda lifeless and literally flat and shallow. I don’t think it’s an E ticket.

Brer Oswald

View attachment 694969

View attachment 694970

View attachment 694971

View attachment 694976

View attachment 694973
Yes. As dumb as it sounds, I found it incredibly distracting while riding.

Professortango1

When I rode it at WDW, the high, visible warehouse ceilings and empty, cold space everywhere certainly didn’t help the ride. It’s one of the main reasons that, while I generally enjoy MMRR, I find it kinda lifeless and literally flat and shallow. I don’t think it’s an E ticket.

I'd certainly call it a D Ticket. If the ride vehicles had motion bases and featured some sensory effects or had more cohesive transitions between sequences it might bump it to an E.

As it is, ToonTown now is a land with two strong D tickets.

yensidtlaw1969

I personally think the abrupt cut-offs in the ceiling (and floors) were less noticeable in person then in videos and POVs. When I rode the DHS version, I found myself more immersed sitting there in the physical RV that I really didn't notice the blackness if you look up, which is probably attributed to many things to look at and many things happening on the projections and whatnot.

It's also very colorful and bright in person, something that caught me by surprise. Like someone said earlier, it's very "cheerful" and "happy".
I was there on opening day at WDW and was shocked by the ceilings - there is plenty else to see, but even then there are more than a few moments where your attention is drawn towards the top of a wall and suddenly the black expanse of the ceiling is just fully in your vision. It seems so counter-intuitive to me that a ride that's about stepping through a movie ccreen into a new world creates that world within a bounding-box that feels so much like a movie screen . . . but it's very clear from the way that it's done that it's a functional choice and not a stylistic one.

I was really surprised that they went this way on a ride dedicated to Mickey, meanwhile the ceilings in Rise of the Resistance are fully in-theme. Even Ratatouille does a better job handling its ceilings (although I have a bone to pick with it over its floors, so it's not entirely faultless).

CaptinEO

I guess you haven’t seen many Mickey cartoons, or have a narrow definition of what a hero is.

Again, what was accepted in the 1920s is not necessarily appropriate for 2023.

We are talking about Pluto being kicked by Minnie Mouse. This is like Charlie Brown kicking Snoopy in a 2023 cartoon. It just shows a complete lack of respect for what Walt Disney and his animators spent decades refining, as well as the cluelessness of current Disney and whoever wrote that gag for the MMRR preshow.
I guess he was a fireman that one time and a pilot another time? Besides that even the 2000s Mickey Cartoons he's more like a good boyfriend, friend, and pet owner than a hero. Unless thats your definition of hero.

I take issue with Wreck it Ralph that completely insults all the Disney Princesses at once for a laugh, than a historically slapstick cartoon character kicking a dog.

Rich T

I'd certainly call it a D Ticket. If the ride vehicles had motion bases and featured some sensory effects or had more cohesive transitions between sequences it might bump it to an E.

As it is, ToonTown now is a land with two strong D tickets.
And more and better AAs. And something to fill all the empty overhead space. I agree it could be plussed into a genuine E ticket.

brb1006

The nutty girl with missing teeth from Lester’s Possum Park in A Goofy Movie made it to this attraction, and I couldn’t be happier. She’s in the ticket booth right before you enter the queue.

View attachment 694902
The Queue also featured Max, PJ, Bobby, and Roxanne on a poster parodying High School Musical. Making this the first time Roxanne, PJ, and Bobby ever got acknowledged at the Disney Parks!

Rich T

I guess he was a fireman that one time and a pilot another time? Besides that even the 2000s Mickey Cartoons he's more like a good boyfriend, friend, and pet owner than a hero. Unless thats your definition of hero.

I take issue with Wreck it Ralph that completely insults all the Disney Princesses at once for a laugh, than a historically slapstick cartoon character kicking a dog.
A hero is a good person who helps others.

Kicking an innocent dog is a reprehensible action in any art form, and usually indicates that the perpetrator is a villain, a hayhole, or simply a stupid oaf who deserves a thrashing. Or, in this case, Minnie Mouse, now appearing as a sweet park mascot on half the merch in Disney’s universe. Technically, the character is innocent, as it’s an accident she’s clueless about (Minnie’s got no brain cells in this version, apparently), so my beef is with the writers and their choice here.

Rich Brownn

Mickey and Minnie being jerks in a brand new attraction… kinda makes their role as ambassadors of “Magic” at the parks seem kinda stomach-churningly hypocritical. Please see my response to MisterPenguin for a more specific expression of my feelings toward this.

The kicking Pluto gag might be a little thing… but it sums up in one mean-spirited moment many of the things I can’t stand about current Disney.
They kick the dog, don't check for him, cause a major railroad malfunction but just apparently go on their picnic anyways without informing anyone. Not their best side :)

Dr.Cheeto

They should really have stopped the cartoon and checked to make sure Pluto was ok. Then we could take the train into the vet and make sure he's up to date on all of his shots. The train then takes us to Mickey and Minnie's counseling meetings and we help them do community service downtown. Why didn't they make that ride?!

Good thing they're changing Pirates of the Caribbean to insure the pirates are responsible citizens. "We donate to charities, giggle and hoot, drink up some root beer, yo ho!"

And while we're at it, I think its really irresponsible that Indiana Jones didn't cover the eyes of Mara in the Chamber of Earthly Riches. That ride would be more enjoyable if it immediately ended and we could all get some treasure and move on with our lives, out of harms way.

yensidtlaw1969

They should really have stopped the cartoon and checked to make sure Pluto was ok. Then we could take the train into the vet and make sure he's up to date on all of his shots. The train then takes us to Mickey and Minnie's counseling meetings and we help them do community service downtown. Why didn't they make that ride?!

Good thing they're changing Pirates of the Caribbean to insure the pirates are responsible citizens. "We donate to charities, giggle and hoot, drink up some root beer, yo ho!"

And while we're at it, I think its really irresponsible that Indiana Jones didn't cover the eyes of Mara in the Chamber of Earthly Riches. That ride would be more enjoyable if it immediately ended and we could all get some treasure and move on with our lives, out of harms way.
Yeah, those are all definitely the same as kicking Pluto for no real reason.

Californian Elitist

The Queue also featured Max, PJ, Bobby, and Roxanne on a poster parodying High School Musical. Making this the first time Roxanne, PJ, and Bobby ever got acknowledged at the Disney Parks!
I’m actually not sure if this is the very first time (btw, Powerline is in the queue, too). I was a baby when Toontown opened in 1993. Can anyone confirm if this is the first time these characters from A Goofy Movie ever made an appearance in Toontown or Disneyland in general?

It is very clear that, despite being a Mickey and Minnie ride, they still went the traditional Toontown route and included other classic characters outside of the Fab 5, which is nice. Here’s some of the exit, with Ludwig Von Drake.

Professortango1

Minnie doesn't intentionally kick Pluto. As anyone who has ever owned a dog, you sometimes accidentally trip over them or step on them or if they are following too closely, heel check them.

She accidentally knocks Pluto because Pluto in jonesing for that food. Not sure why people are trying to make this a big thing.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I’m actually not sure if this is the very first time (btw, Powerline is in the queue, too). I was a baby when Toontown opened in 1993. Can anyone confirm if this is the first time these characters from A Goofy Movie ever made an appearance in Toontown or Disneyland in general?

It is very clear that, despite being a Mickey and Minnie ride, they still went the traditional Toontown route and included other classic characters outside of the Fab 5, which is nice. Here’s some of the exit, with Ludwig Von Drake.

Has anyone seen Oswald make an appearance in the ride's queue?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom