Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Rich T

To be fair, that was prevalent in the original Florida ride, too. And yet, I don't remember there being any outrage over Pluto being kicked then. Then again, the pandemic shut everything down just literally days later, so...
There was no outrage because people don’t care. Cruelty and cynicism is the norm in TV animation these days. Haha, Minnie kicked Pluto. Oh, look, now there she is outside the ride, blowing kisses and curtsying. This kind of hypocrisy at Disney just makes me want to throw up.

Rest assured, I groused about Dog Kickin’ Minnie when the Florida version opened. No one else cared there, either. That’s okay, I can be the lone Pluto defender. 😄 Kindness for Pluto!

mharrington

There was no outrage because people don’t care. Cruelty and cynicism is the norm in TV animation these days. Haha, Minnie kicked Pluto. Oh, look, now there she is outside the ride, blowing kisses and curtsying. This kind of hypocrisy at Disney just makes me want to throw up.

Rest assured, I groused about Dog Kickin’ Minnie when the Florida version opened. No one else cared there, either. That’s okay, I can be the lone Pluto defender. 😄 Kindness for Pluto!

It's been so long, but did anyone else at least defend it as a throwback to early animation then, too?

Californian Elitist

The nutty girl with missing teeth from Lester’s Possum Park in A Goofy Movie made it to this attraction, and I couldn’t be happier. She’s in the ticket booth right before you enter the queue.

CA2A3D1D-F08D-472E-BED4-1B8432C92A93.jpeg

_caleb

One of the biggest reasons I’ve absolutley loathed both the new shorts ‘and’ Clubhouse/Funhouse. They’ve either outright essentially made fun of or dilluted the soul of the Mickey & Friends character so much to the point it’s become a parody. Sad. Even Epic Mickey & Get an Horse were executed & have much more timeless appeal than the new Rudish shorts. Wouldn’t be such a big deal to me if they continued to push productions in styles of that nature that are well-balanced & appealing to everybody… but yeah, seems to not be the case anymore sadly. Either it’s strictly overly edgy & gross to the point it basically only appeals to a memeing crowd or edgy teen or adults who don’t like Disney or so pandering & soulless, it comes off as a Dora clone only preschoolers can get behind… one of my biggest pet peeves.
This again?

CaptinEO

And yet, in "Steamboat Willie", Mickey was not above pulling on a cat's tail, as he does in "Steamboat Willie" to make it yowl in time with the music! He also squeezes on a duck's body and pulls its neck in and out, causing it make quacking noises like some kind of a trombone (or maybe it's bagpipes?). He then pulls on a bunch of piglets' tails to make them squeal as they are nursed by a mother sow before he shakes the piglets off of her and squeezes her body in and out while pressing on her teats, causing her to squeal notes, like some kind of accordion.

In another cartoon, "The Fire Fighters", Mickey again pulls on a cat's tail to make it yowl like a fire truck siren.
This. It's so strange for people to say Mickey being cruel to animals or being a jerk is out of character, that IS his character. Mickey being Mr Perfect nice guy is just boring and would make for boring cartoons.

I'm glad Disney has given the fab 5 some personality instead of being squeaky clean perfect characters.

Magenta Panther

I watched a ride-through video of this yesterday. The ride's sound system sounded awful. And - this is an issue with both versions - if you're in the rear car, you can't see Goofy most of the time, and thus have an even harder time understanding what's going on than if you DO see him. Weren't the Imagineers aware of this problem when they designed this thing? Lame.

And of course the Disneyland version has the same flat, off-putting, nightmarish Mickey and Minnie heads as the WDW version. This issue could have been fixed, but that would cost money! As a result, Mickey's AAs look like crap in his own ride, the only Disney parks ride ever dedicated to him. Nice work! Way to plus, "Imagineers"! You don't know how to tell a story well, you design elements that only look good from certain angles, and you add "improvements" to existing rides (oh the poor, poor Tower of Terror in WDW) that mess them up. Good grief. Please look for work elsewhere. I hear that Six Flags is hiring...

tanc

The only thing I wish was real animatronics were added and not projections. I still think that it feels incredibly off putting to see a light to put a face onto something. Can't believe a company with billions of dollars won't put the R&D into making a robot mickey. The literal mascot of Disney gets the short end of the stick compared to like Elsa which has an incredible new animatronic.

Other than that the DL version seems to be superior. It's way better than the Flordia version, which is disappointing. Losing GMR to MMRR and getting the short end of the stick is just sad really. Maybe GMR was old, but it was an amazing way to introduce kids into classic Hollywood. I don't even think kids of this generation have seen The Wizard of Oz or Singin' In The Rain for example.

Phroobar

The only thing I wish was real animatronics were added and not projections. I still they that it feels incredibly off putting to see a light to put a face onto something. Can't believe a company with billions of dollars won't put the R&D into making a robot mickey. The literal mascot of Disney gets the short end of the stick compared to like Elsa which has an incredible new animatronic.

Other than that the DL version seems to be superior. It's way better than the Flordia version, which is disappointing. Losing GMR to MMRR and getting the short end of the stick is just sad really. Maybe GMR was old, but it was an amazing way to introduce kids into classic Hollywood. I don't even think kids of this generation have seen The Wizard of Oz for example.
Outside of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Alien, I don't think most people have seen the majority of movies in the GMR.

Californian Elitist

If the actual rides are identical, I feel like the rest doesn’t matter as much. Yes, our queue is more elaborate and detailed, but that’s because it was built from scratch and it matches the surroundings more (I expected this level of detail in a queue for a Toontown ride, but wouldn’t have expected it had it gone in Fantasyland, for example). I think DHS’ queue fits right for the Chinese Theatre. The worse thing DHS’ version has going for itself is the fact that it replaced a beloved classic instead of getting its own space somewhere else in the park.

Brer Oswald

Outside of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Alien, I don't think most people have seen the majority of movies in the GMR.
I would have to imagine most people (
20 and up have seen the Wizard of Oz. But you do have a point. The thing is…it never really mattered for me. The physical sets were so grand and immersive, I never cared that I didn’t recognize the films.

If they had given Mickey the same treatment in terms of set design, I’d probably prefer the new attraction to GMR

Californian Elitist

It really does seem like some of you are just determined to hate on this ride, and almost all of it is coming from people who have yet to actually experience the thing in person.

You do you I guess, but I just don't get it.
Hence my “anyways” comment, especially since it’s coming from the usual suspect.

I have managed to refrain from watching a single ride-through video for both versions, as I want to be as surprised as possible. I’m not against watching ride-throughs, but I’m always save final judgement for when I experience a ride or show in person.

Brer Oswald

It really does seem like some of you are just determined to hate on this ride, and almost all of it is coming from people who have yet to actually experience the thing in person.

You do you I guess, but I just don't get it. At least ride the thing first.
I’ve done the WDW version. There are things I like about it. There are lots of things that disappoint me.

The base concept of the ride (entering a Mickey Mouse cartoon) is great, I just wish they did more with it. But they just don’t make dark rides like they used to.

Californian Elitist

I’ve done the WDW version. There are things I like about it. There are lots of things that disappoint me.

The base concept of the ride (entering a Mickey Mouse cartoon) is great, I just wish they did more with it. But they just don’t make dark rides like they used to.
I actually value your thoughts and opinions on the ride because you’ve actually experienced it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom