Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Professortango1

I can see calling ILL shameless, but, what's shameless about VQ?

VQ is free. Rather than rope-dropping the park or getting in 90 minute standby lines, you have two opportunities in the day to be part of what's tantamount to a virtual lottery and get a window of scheduling the ride.

VQ bloats the system. Rather than letting me wait for 2-4 hours to ride Rise, Disney would rather determine if I get to ride based upon a Wifi race at 8 AM. Why would I pay to visit Disneyland if I can be forbidden to wait in line for the ride I am paying to visit? I guarantee a large portion of the individuals snagging virtual queue spots for the 8th time would not wait hours to ride, yet they are given a spot despite someone like myself willing to invest that time.

Rides should be standby. If you want to ride, get in line. If the line is too long, then I suppose the ride isn't worth as much to you as it is to the people in line.

CaptinEO

VQ bloats the system. Rather than letting me wait for 2-4 hours to ride Rise, Disney would rather determine if I get to ride based upon a Wifi race at 8 AM. Why would I pay to visit Disneyland if I can be forbidden to wait in line for the ride I am paying to visit? I guarantee a large portion of the individuals snagging virtual queue spots for the 8th time would not wait hours to ride, yet they are given a spot despite someone like myself willing to invest that time.

Rides should be standby. If you want to ride, get in line. If the line is too long, then I suppose the ride isn't worth as much to you as it is to the people in line.
It makes no sense. Queues always worked.

If a ride is brand new and the wait is 4 hours, those that want to wait 4 hours can choose to do so.

If someone doesn't care, they can wait a few more months for better wait times.

Demand will always level out.

Virtual Queues just leave it up to chance and Instant Lightning Lanes turn it into the haves and the have nots.

Brer Oswald

I don't get why many folks here are so negative about the ride. Yes it has some downsides, including that the technology is a bit overkill for the way it's being used (=not to it's full potential) and yes it takes up a lot of space (which in the case of DL is important, but it also didn't take away much)
Other than that, the ride is doing exactly what it should do: a no-height restriction dark ride for the entire family, where young kids are also really enjoying it without being scared, about icons of the Disney brand, and it has a not-terrible capacity. Yes it's not the most exciting but we are not the primary audience. Familles who want to see Mickey are. And from the few times I've been on the ride, they all loved it. I also thought it was very fun.
I’m a super huge fan of Mickey Mouse and the concept of the ride (being immersed in an actual Mickey Mouse cartoon) had me completely sold. It completely let me down as a Mickey fan and theme park fan. That’s why I’m negative about it. They fumbled the bag on a great ride concept that they probably won’t try again.

DrAlice

I can see calling ILL shameless, but, what's shameless about VQ?

VQ is free. Rather than rope-dropping the park or getting in 90 minute standby lines, you have two opportunities in the day to be part of what's tantamount to a virtual lottery and get a window of scheduling the ride.

I know some people are willing to rough it long lines... but I know I'm not. I don't see how families with children could tolerate it.

I've liked VQ for the rides that used it in WDW.

And, after a while, the VQ goes away.

Right now in WDW, only one ride uses VQ, i.e., Cosmic Rewind. All the other ones that had it no longer do so. (Also, for point of reference, only one ride in each park uses ILL, and you can't do more than one ILL per day.)

Give it a year or two, and the VQ will go away and you'll be able to stand in 60 minute long lines.

In this instance (with the land not being open yet), I can actually understand those in charge of operations wanting to use a VQ. It is the addition of a lightning lane charge ON TOP of this that is shameless to me. If I'm going to have to jump through hoops to have access to the ride (and I may not get access!!!), I don't want to then end up in a bloated line with a huge wait time because I refuse to plunk down more cash. If they have the space to bloat the line with ILL, then they don't need a VQ and can just let people wait (or not) as they see fit. Doing both just feels
like another cash grab wrapped up in the guise of "Disney service". :hungover:

choco choco

Not sure how much I believe that, not saying it wasn't considered just not as currently designed. Especially since if using the building footprint as built today behind TT, it probably wouldn't have fit in the EGW footprint. Not saying they couldn't have built something smaller, but if that is the case then why not use the available space in the backlot today. Plus the rumors at the time always were that the EGW expansion area was to be used for an expansion of the Marvel area.

So too many things in my mind just make that not add up to it being 100% accurate.

Even if it had been true, just because the Eastern Gateway got cancelled doesn't mean it couldn't still have been put in DCA. There was plenty of space behind California Screamin' and it would have fit just fine with the Paradise Pier theme. And there were ways to rejigger and shrink the drop-off loops on the eastern side - and to take advantage of a completely empty building (or two) in Hollywoodland - to fit the ride in even if they hadn't wanted to put it in the back of the park.

California Adventure desperately needed this ride. Desperately. It honestly hurts that they put this into Disneyland, knowing what could have been.

DrAlice

ILL doesn't get giant lines. They sell a limited number and they're have a scheduled call back during the day.
I know the ILL doesn't have a long line, that's why people pay for it. The policy of putting 30-1 LL guests to standby guests (or whatever ridiculous ratio is going on these days) causes the standby line to balloon to ridiculous proportions. So, again, if you are going to make me jump through some lottery hoops just to get a chance to ride and THEN you are going to make me stand in a line that is artificially longer than it should be because I didn't submit to extortion, that is ridiculous.

The LL line phenomenon has been discussed to death on this board and around the internet. I'm either a terrible communicator or you are being deliberately obtuse. Either way, I don't plan on going to DL anytime soon, so whatever. Agree to disagree. Have a good night.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know the ILL doesn't have a long line, that's why people pay for it. The policy of putting 30-1 LL guests to standby guests (or whatever ridiculous ratio is going on these days) causes the standby line to balloon to ridiculous proportions. So, again, if you are going to make me jump through some lottery hoops just to get a chance to ride and THEN you are going to make me stand in a line that is artificially longer than it should be because I didn't submit to extortion, that is ridiculous.

The LL line phenomenon has been discussed to death on this board and around the internet. I'm either a terrible communicator or you are being deliberately obtuse. Either way, I don't plan on going to DL anytime soon, so whatever. Agree to disagree. Have a good night.
I thought we were talking MMRR with VQ and ILL, both of which are metered with respect to the number of riders showing up.

Have you switched to talking about MMRR with ILL and no more VQ, but a Standby line? That's a different creature. Having ILL with Standy is just like having Genie+ with Standby or Fastpass with Standby. Those with the line-cutting attribute, whether it is ILL or G+ or FP, will indeed make the Standby line go slower. We agree there.

The overall effect of a line-cutting gimmick on rides overall in a park is hotly contested.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Even if it had been true, just because the Eastern Gateway got cancelled doesn't mean it couldn't still have been put in DCA. There was plenty of space behind California Screamin' and it would have fit just fine with the Paradise Pier theme. And there were ways to rejigger and shrink the drop-off loops on the eastern side - and to take advantage of a completely empty building (or two) in Hollywoodland - to fit the ride in even if they hadn't wanted to put it in the back of the park.

California Adventure desperately needed this ride. Desperately. It honestly hurts that they put this into Disneyland, knowing what could have been.
I agree if they really wanted to put it in DCA they could have found a way.

On whether they should have put it there over TT because DCA desperately needed it, this debate has been many times since its been announced..... And well there is where I disagree and I'll just leave it at that.

BrianLo

And to me when I hear C ticket in E ticket clothing, I immediately take that to mean it’s not even as good as C ticket as the expectations are too high. You know what you’re getting when you wait 10 minutes for Toad. To wait one hour for a similar (or lesser) experience can only be a let down.

Opening timeframe and newness aside, this ride will most certainly not carry an hour wait time long term. Its capacity is pretty reasonable and it's in a weird annexed area of Disneyland. Nothing to do with what I think about the ride (it's great!), but even in DHS, where it's literally front and centre I could consistently get on it in more reasonable timeframes.

I can appreciate your point of view on this but I think it should have gone in DCA. They should have just found a way to put it in the Backlot and then work around it later. Of course, if they end up putting something great in the backlot/ expansion area then it’ll be worth it. MMRR not going to DCA may have saved Toontown. Though I’m not sure that’s necessarily a great thing. I guess it would depend on what they would have built there. Some sprawling Hagrids style coaster back there themed to Star Wars could have been really cool or maybe even a Fantasyland expansion as long as it wasn’t a single IP land like Arendelle.

Anyway DCA needs more. They better be thinking big for the backlot/ eastern gateway expansion area. I’m talking indoor coaster (or sprawling Hagrids style coaster) and a boat ride.

I'm of two minds. DCA definitely needed it and would have been so much better for it. But the opportunity to find a ride that 'most' people are not saying will ruin Disneyland is far and few between. It's a good ride, in an appropriate place in Disneyland. Without the burden of having it constantly judged by what it replaced.

mickEblu

Opening timeframe and newness aside, this ride will most certainly not carry an hour wait time long term. Its capacity is pretty reasonable and it's in a weird annexed area of Disneyland. Nothing to do with what I think about the ride (it's great!), but even in DHS, where it's literally front and centre I could consistently get on it in more reasonable timeframes.

I'm of two minds. DCA definitely needed it and would have been so much better for it. But the opportunity to find a ride that 'most' people are not saying will ruin Disneyland is far and few between. It's a good ride, in an appropriate place in Disneyland. Without the burden of having it constantly judged by what it replaced.

Yeah I have to agree. Ideally it would have gone in DCA but I’m not mad at where it ended up.

You don’t think the line for MMRR will hover at around 45 min to an hour? Even with Genie + / ILL inflating the standby times? I guess if we go by how it’s doing at DHS (a park with 9 rides) you could be right. Although I wonder if people treating that park as a half day park kind of dirty that data.

PiratesMansion

While the case could be made for putting Runaway Railway in DCA, I think that MMRR gives Toontown some much-needed attention and helps balance out the park a bit more.

Meanwhile DCA has more space to put in dumb nonsense that I don't care about, and there's now one less space available for them to do the same at DL. For me, it's a win for that reason alone.

mickEblu

While the case could be made for putting Runaway Railway in DCA, I think that MMRR gives Toontown some much-needed attention and helps balance out the park a bit more.

Meanwhile DCA has more space to put in dumb nonsense that I don't care about, and there's now one less space available for them to do the same at DL. For me, it's a win for that reason alone.

AND perhaps a clean slate and a nice plot of land for something ambitious for DCA between the backlot and eastern gateway expansion area. Probably for the best that the whole project gets done as far away from the Chapek era as possible.

Or it could be a gigantic Marvel land :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom