Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway SPOILER Thread

JohnD

We just rode Mickey for the first time after avoiding all spoilers and it was ADORABLE. A few thoughts: (possible spoilers below)

-I really loved hearing Goofy give the safety spiel before you board the ride vehicles. Just like Slinky dog it sets the stage perfectly before you board.
-Loved the bright colors throughout
-Yes tons of Chupie (spelling?) birds throughout. Didnt fee like he had a big part pf the ride so I was surprised to see him on so much merch.
-Agree that the rode vehicles should spin or go around the tornado.
-Loved the waterfall effect- very successful.
- My only complaint: no one in my party enjoyed the projected faces for Mickey and Minnie. Kinda creepy and stretched out awkwardly.
-Love the new Mickey shorts and that Micley and Minnie and more than just smiling mascots. It really works as a ride!!!
-As a fan of the GMR, I have to admit it had grown stale and having a family-friendly ride that kids are interested in riding at the heart of the park is a game changer. Between this and Star Wars Land (wow) this park is easily #2 behind MK for us. Still wish there were more rides for the toddler set but I digress..

Loooooooved this ride :)

Yes, it is possible to miss GMR and love this ride at the same time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes tons of Chupie (spelling?) birds throughout. Didnt fee like he had a big part pf the ride so I was surprised to see him on so much merch
I think everyone is as in the dark as you as to the importance of Chuuby. She seems to have been a tertiary story-line (Pluto is the secondary) that got dropped, and so she's only at the entrance and end of the ride, but somehow marketed like she's important. We're all puzzled.

mickEblu

I think everyone is as in the dark as you as to the importance of Chuuby. She seems to have been a tertiary story-line (Pluto is the secondary) that got dropped, and so she's only at the entrance and end of the ride, but somehow marketed like she's important. We're all puzzled.

They re trying to create the Orange Bird of the next generation

Brer Oswald

I think they just wanted some sort of "theme park original" character to market for exclusive merchandise. Really an inoffensive inclusion.

Magenta Panther

We just rode Mickey for the first time after avoiding all spoilers and it was ADORABLE. A few thoughts: (possible spoilers below)

-I really loved hearing Goofy give the safety spiel before you board the ride vehicles. Just like Slinky dog it sets the stage perfectly before you board.
-Loved the bright colors throughout
-Yes tons of Chupie (spelling?) birds throughout. Didnt fee like he had a big part pf the ride so I was surprised to see him on so much merch.
-Agree that the rode vehicles should spin or go around the tornado.
-Loved the waterfall effect- very successful.
- My only complaint: no one in my party enjoyed the projected faces for Mickey and Minnie. Kinda creepy and stretched out awkwardly.
-Love the new Mickey shorts and that Micley and Minnie and more than just smiling mascots. It really works as a ride!!!
-As a fan of the GMR, I have to admit it had grown stale and having a family-friendly ride that kids are interested in riding at the heart of the park is a game changer. Between this and Star Wars Land (wow) this park is easily #2 behind MK for us. Still wish there were more rides for the toddler set but I digress..

Loooooooved this ride :)

The heads of Mickey and Minnie simply do not work. They look weird at best, and horrible when seen from certain angles. Again, the first dark ride based on Mickey in any Disney park, and he looks like crap.

I suppose it's too much to hope that this problem will be corrected in the Disneyland version. Heaven forbid TDA learn from TDO's mistake!

RSoxNo1

The heads of Mickey and Minnie simply do not work. They look weird at best, and horrible when seen from certain angles. Again, the first dark ride based on Mickey in any Disney park, and he looks like crap.

I suppose it's too much to hope that this problem will be corrected in the Disneyland version. Heaven forbid TDA learn from TDO's mistake!
The screens need to be OLED screens, that should help.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From the article:

It remains to be seen whether or not those show scenes will be on the ride or in the pre-show portion of the experience.

The Chinese theater did not need its exterior or the interior queue to change much into a 'scene.' So, two of the three extra scenes at DL could be the exterior and a themed queue.

Some insiders have said their *may* be one new scene.

Given that the DL building is narrower but longer than the DHS, it might lend itself to a new scene as spaces are altered.

I doubt they're going to go out of their way to make a significantly elaborate must-see new scene. It could be as simple as a sparsely decorated hallway in between scenes.

mickEblu

From the article:

It remains to be seen whether or not those show scenes will be on the ride or in the pre-show portion of the experience.

The Chinese theater did not need its exterior or the interior queue to change much into a 'scene.' So, two of the three extra scenes at DL could be the exterior and a themed queue.

Some insiders have said their *may* be one new scene.

Given that the DL building is narrower but longer than the DHS, it might lend itself to a new scene as spaces are altered.

I doubt they're going to go out of their way to make a significantly elaborate must-see new scene. It could be as simple as a sparsely decorated hallway in between scenes.

I’d settle for the ride vehicles spinning around the tornado and a simulated drop for the waterfall scene.

Annnnnd if they want to replace the Daisy scene with a Donald scene that’s cool too.

gerarar

Premium Member
Finally got the chance to ride this (got a LL Redemption since ride was down during window), and I like it! I came in with little expectations, but I loved the vibrant colors, projections, and the "story". The ride had me grinning the whole time. Pre-show explosion shocks everyone, which was cool.

I actually think the use of trackless RVs here is brilliant. They're more much intense/swaying then I would've thought. And I didn't even know that the seats themselves vibrate/rumble unlike in ROTR. For example in the load/unload, the seats rumble as if you're actually going over train tracks.

I was in RV #2. Thought it was good, although you miss a bit of the factory transformation in the end. I really like Daisy's segment, which includes some intense seat rumbles in the cha-cha lol.

I didn't notice the ceilings where the projections cut off as it's really more noticeable in videos. The one scene that could use some plussing is the twister scene. You can see the plain black walls from the various lights. Maybe hang some more objects and such to make it more lively.
Also the AA's were fine imo. The first Mickey and Minnie may be iffy depending on where you sit.

Is this a worthy replacement of GMR? Idk, but it definitely should have been a new build from the start. It has great capacity and HS really needed that, not replacements.
20211220_153453.jpg

20211220_154820.jpg

20211220_154833.jpg

Also the theme song is so catchy!!

jpwdis

Just rode it for the first time on Saturday! Having been a part of this thread from the start and seeing a lot of mediocre reviews, I went in with low expectations. Coming out of it, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would! To start on the good things, the pre show effect is a true “wow” moment in person. For the ride portion, I really liked how the seats rumbled after loading, feeling like an actual train. I will also agree with gerarar and say the walls to ceiling projection cutoffs are a lot less noticeable in person than on camera. The ride vehicles were a lot jerkier than I expected, but the ride was still overall smooth.

Few negative things though. The Mickey head in the first scene is definitely off-putting. Didn’t seem like an issue in other scenes where he was further away or facing forward though. I also agree that there needs to be more to the twister scene; literally anything. Also, I was in car 1 but just watching the other cars, I gotta say car 4 gets shafted pretty bad throughout the ride until the factory scene. Finally, I feel like some very minor practical effects (for a lack of a better word) would really go a long way. Like a splash of water or mist when we go under the waterfall, smells in the carnival or city scenes, and maybe a heat effect in the volcano or factory scenes.

Overall, despite my small critiques, I really enjoyed the ride and feel that the hour long wait was completely worth it.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
As the originator of this thread, I am finally happy to say I have experienced this attraction finally!

A little background: I have been very excited to experience this despite what it replaced. Some other family members actually experienced this before I did last year and HATED the attraction. I’m going to attribute it to being more upset that it replaced GMR and not really looking past that and judging the ride.

As for me I experienced the attraction myself alone. My group who had experienced it was telling me how they loathed the attraction. I knew basically everything about it and enjoyed most of what I saw.

Without further ado, here are my thoughts:

Overall, I really enjoyed the attraction. Is it a super mega E ticket? I’d say no, but it’s definitely an enjoyable attraction. Preshow is great and really catchy as is the lead-up to the ride.

The two most glaring weaknesses for me are present in the Conga and Twister rooms. I feel like they could of done way more with those particular rooms. The Conga kinda kills the pacing but it picks back up again with the factory.

Very big fan of the short aesthetic and maybe that’s why I enjoy the attraction. I’ve seen basically every short released and have enjoyed them. Adored the music throughout the attraction. Catchy theme song and even the ending walk has a variation on the music that is played at the end of every short. Very bright and vibrant colors.

A fun, entertaining addition to HWS. Even though, most of my group didn’t enjoy it. Though I believe it’s because of GMR. Which I agree this ride maybe was a better fit for animation courtyard and GMR receiving an update.

I will say though, aside from the members of my group who had went before some did enjoy it. So it seemed divisive among the group.

For myself though, I enjoyed it and think it makes a fine addition to HWS. It was also really nice being back in the Chinese Theater.

PS: The rooms seem a lot bigger on video then they are in person.

EDIT: Interested to see what my other group will think since they have never experienced GMR. I think they will enjoy the attraction.

EDIT #2: Almost forgot the marquee is fantastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom