Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Sharon&Susan

Two very different Mickey and Minnie's:
1619492486847.png

J4546

how freaking cool would it be if instead of a cartoon hills facade, they used a combination of led panels mounted to the side of the building and a camera pointing at the sky so that the panels could display the exact color of the sky and blend in. and then have animated stuff happen on the screens like mickey flying a plane around or goofy in a hot air balloon...you could create all kinds of scenes and cool kinetic energy. this is all assuming you could really get the led panels to blend in perfectly with the sky color. it could look really really cool right? or am i just dumb

Sharon&Susan

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I honestly didn't think it would have gone there. I figured they would have reworked city hall instead. Make it center of that alcove.
Ditto. I thought the Five and Dime would be the attraction exit. I questioned these guys once about the RotR reservation times and was wrong...do I question them again? Do they have inside info or are speculating?

Disney Analyst

Ditto. I thought the Five and Dime would be the attraction exit. I questioned these guys once about the RotR reservation times and was wrong...do I question them again? Do they have inside info or are speculating?

If you look at the photos from Blog Mickey, City Hall is included in these construction walls.

I have a feeling they will rework the entire area, City Hall will likely become the entrance, with Five and Dime converted into an exit and gift shop dedicated to the attraction.

MagicWDI

If you look at the photos from Blog Mickey, City Hall is included in these construction walls.

I have a feeling they will rework the entire area, City Hall will likely become the entrance, with Five and Dime converted into an exit and gift shop dedicated to the attraction.
This makes the most sense in my mind. I also believe it is against the 10 Pillars of the Church of Disney Parks to remove any gift shop without an equally or greater replacement.

MoonRakerSCM

So, Five and Dime is the facade that's being converted to a theatre to be the entrance right? Gag Factory will live to be the exit store?

Man, those little food stands back there in Toon Town are suddenly going to explode with sales for several months...

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So, Five and Dime is the facade that's being converted to a theatre to be the entrance right? Gag Factory will live to be the exit store?

Man, those little food stands back there in Toon Town are suddenly going to explode with sales for several months...
Five and Dime and Gag Factory are the same store. This would be the case if they split it with a wall and made the Gag Factory side a smaller store. I still think the entrance will be the City Hall facade with the exit being the store(s).

Evidence toward this is that the concept are looks more like the City Hall area than the Five and Dime area:

1621803210959.png

Like City Hall, El Capitoon is flush against the hilly backdrop and had extended building to the left and right.

1621803291006.png

Five and Dime on the other hand is extended out away from the hills and at an angle.

1621803490460.png

To note: There is no direct path to the show building from behind City Hall. They could have it turn like I'm showing. This COULD be evidence toward Five and Dime being the entrance, but still not sure.

MoonRakerSCM

I was looking at the land ala your screenshots and noticed how prominant Five and Dime is and was wondering about it being the entrance. But I agree, the artwork does suggest that the entrance will be where city hall is due to the flatness of the area in the artwork as well as the hills being prominently behind (at the angle shown, five and dime's facade has cityscape behind it.

Makes sense to use the unused facade of the cityhall/bank instead of taking over store space.

DavidDL

So, I'm just "blue-sky-ing" here but I've thought the placement of MMRR was a missed opportunity for Toontown. The entire plot of MMRR is that we're meant to be taking a train ride with Goofy for a peaceful trip "around the park".

Mickey's Toontown has both a park and a Railroad station so why not take this time to expand on those areas and really bring them into the Toontown fold, while being able to present a modified version of the attraction without the need for all the "Hollywood movie" queue and "come see Mickey's new cartoon" shticks? It makes sense for Hollywood Studios, it's the ONLY way for it to make sense there but here in Toontown, we're sort of already in the toon universe, not stepping into it, right? I was thinking something along these lines:

runawayrailway.png

You enter through a newly expanded "Toon Park" for a train ride with Goofy. The queue could go over the DLRR via bridge and really tie the whole Toontown/Train ride theme together. The old Fantasyland theatre would be replaced with a new, modified MMRR show building (you wouldn't need all the indoor queue and show elements because in DL, you'd be losing the "jump into a cartoon" element).

While, they're at it, they could "turn around" the DLRR entrance and have it right next door to the MMRR entrance, thus "Toontown Station" finally is actually in Toontown and ties again, into the entire area.

Again, I'm just Armchair Imagineering here. I'm happy to see Toontown get a new attraction in any form.

PiratesMansion

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think the Fantasyland Theater is an asset the park should use and highlight.

I've never understood why so many here are so eager to bulldoze it and even Disney themselves seems to forget it exists even though it's probably DL's best in-park venue.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
That’s probably why they’ve never enclosed it and made it look more permanent. Disney probably sees the theatre as future expansion space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom