Mickey’s (Faliure)magic OR The Non-Repeatability of the Film Theater Shows at the DLR

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Rat Chat has recently reported that Mickey’s Philarmagic is drawing around the same amount of people who saw the previews previously located within the theater. I am not surprised at all. I happened to visit DL and DCA on the same day Phillarmagic opened and went to see the show in the afternoon after spending the first part of my day at DL. Even despite the local school concerts having just finished up with it being crowded in the Hollywood Backlot, the theater was only half full on opening day!

TDA clearly expected this to have a larger audience compared to the aforementioned previews, as they’re building a new theater facade in summer for what by then will be an empty theater.

TDA seems to have thought that the success from the MK version would transfer over to the DCA version, but the flaw in that type of thinking is that WDW and DLR have different audiences. WDW is majority tourists who may never see anything in the MK ever again and DLR is comprised of APs who if they want to can just see it again next time they come back in a few days.

A film show will never be permanently successful at the DLR. The solution to getting people into those spaces isn't by putting a clip show or inferior version of a show at the MK into the theaters, replacing the theater aspect entirely is the solution.

britain

Rat Chat has recently reported that Mickey’s Philarmagic is drawing around the same amount of people who saw the previews previously located within the theater. I am not surprised at all. I happened to visit DL and DCA on the same day Phillarmagic opened and went to see the show in the afternoon after spending the first part of my day at DL. Even despite the local school concerts having just finished up with it being crowded in the Hollywood Backlot, the theater was only half full on opening day!

TDA clearly expected this to have a larger audience compared to the aforementioned previews, as they’re building a new theater facade in summer for what by then will be an empty theater.

TDA seems to have thought that the success from the MK version would transfer over to the DCA version, but the flaw in that type of thinking is that WDW and DLR have different audiences. WDW is majority tourists who may never see anything in the MK ever again and DLR is comprised of APs who if they want to can just see it again next time they come back in a few days.

A film show will never be permanently successful at the DLR. The solution to getting people into those spaces isn't by putting a clip show or inferior version of a show at the MK into the theaters, replacing the theater aspect entirely is the solution.

All true, all true. BUT there will be many people who have never even been to any Disney park before that are planning to see Star Wars land AND there will be many regular guests who try to visit Star Wars and get shut out. I don't think Philharmagic was ever intended to attract people. It's there to sop up a portion of would-be Star Wars crowds.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
All true, all true. BUT there will be many people who have never even been to any Disney park before that are planning to see Star Wars land AND there will be many regular guests who try to visit Star Wars and get shut out. I don't think Philharmagic was ever intended to attract people. It's there to sop up a portion of would-be Star Wars crowds.
I agree, I don't think it was ever meant to be anything more than to give something more to do at DCA. Its a quick add to give more capacity to a park that needs it.

Rich T

I agree, but I also agree with other reasons for failure posted here as well as reasons it's a better-than-nothing plus for DCA. That theater is in a bad location, which is a big reason the Muppets failed there. If MP was playing in the Carthay Theater's location, it would be doing much better.

BUT, y'know, I do agree that the whole idea of 3D/4D films as theme park attractions has pretty much run its course for all parks everywhere. In MP's case, it's just a cheap, temporary added attraction. No harm done, unless it's not replaced eventually by something better. Eventually. Better. We can trust them. Right?...?

Rich T

While we're on the subject of films at the parks, though... Remember:

Pre-1983, where the Pinocchio ride is now, the Fantasyland Theater used to show 3 Mickey Mouse short films all day long. At one time it was a "C" Ticket attraction. But this was in the days before home video or cable, so the chance to see Mickey's Trailer, Thru the Mirror and The Band Concert made it a nice little air-conditioned feature for many years. I enjoyed it a lot... along with the other dozen or so people in the theater at any given time. :D (You just entered and exited at any point in the rotation).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
While we're on the subject of films at the parks, though... Remember:

Pre-1983, where the Pinocchio ride is now, the Fantasyland Theater used to show 3 Mickey Mouse short films all day long. At one time it was a "C" Ticket attraction. But this was in the days before home video or cable, so the chance to see Mickey's Trailer, Thru the Mirror and The Band Concert made it a nice little air-conditioned feature for many years. I enjoyed it a lot... along with the other dozen or so people in the theater at any given time. :D (You just entered and exited at any point in the rotation).

Just like the Main St Cinema. And yet I don't really hear too many complaints that it should be removed due to low attendance...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Main Street Cinema, with its silent films, is a teasure that fits Main Street beautifully. But they have to do something about the infestation of local mopey teens using it as hangout spot...
I wasn't saying get rid of it. I was just saying that you hear this whining about PhilMagic getting half attendance but no whining about Main St Cinema having 3 people in it.

Rich T

I wasn't saying get rid of it. I was just saying that you hear this whining about PhilMagic getting half attendance but no whining about Main St Cinema having 3 people in it.
Oh, I know--No worries. I'm just concerned there's alway some exec eying it for the chopping block. It's one of my DL Canaries in a Coal Mine; as long as it's still there, I know there's still some sane people at the company. :)

SuddenStorm

You're comparing apples and oranges. Main Street Cinema is a tiny location that really couldn't be utilized in any better way- if it's ever removed, it'll be for a shop.

Instead, compare Philhartragic to the Fantasyland Theater, or the Magic Eye Theater- both of which are huge wastes of space that could be utilized far better.

FerretAfros

Let’s not pretend like DLR is the only place with a high number of repeat local visitors. TDR has perhaps an even higher proportion of locals, and their version of the attraction opened in 2011 and remains popular in 2019.

The location in an awkward back corner of the resort’s second gate isn’t helping this situation. Nor is the hasty, low-budget way it was added. Nor is the near complete lack of promotion for it among general park goers.

This wasn’t meant to draw people in to the resort. Similar to the awkwardly-placed Lion King show, it’s just there to help sop up the overflow crowds from Star Wars Land. Whether it will be successful at that, I have my doubts, but “success” for the DCA version was never intended to be defined the same way as the proper Fantasyland versions of the attraction.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You're comparing apples and oranges. Main Street Cinema is a tiny location that really couldn't be utilized in any better way- if it's ever removed, it'll be for a shop.

Instead, compare Philhartragic to the Fantasyland Theater, or the Magic Eye Theater- both of which are huge wastes of space that could be utilized far better.
Except we already know both your comparison examples are already on the chopping block and will be removed over the next 5-10 years. So it doesn’t make sense to compare them anymore.

It wasn’t really the size of the venue being compared anyways. It was the size of attendance in the venue. Also I really only brought up Main St Cinema because Rich brought up the old shorts being shown in the old Fantasyland Theater (old Mickey Mouse Club Theater) where Pinocchio is now.

Mac Tonight

My problem with the show (saw last Sunday) is just how mediocre the animation seems. It's like if every classic animated movie got run through a crappy 3D generator. Also, there really wasn't a lot of build up or context behind it. Donald loses Mickey's Sorcerer's hat and is then suddenly in all these movies? Even though he's supposed to be helping with the orchestra? And the instruments are now sentient?

No thanks. Give me back the Muppets please.

brb1006

My problem with the show (saw last Sunday) is just how mediocre the animation seems. It's like if every classic animated movie got run through a crappy 3D generator. Also, there really wasn't a lot of build up or context behind it. Donald loses Mickey's Sorcerer's hat and is then suddenly in all these movies? Even though he's supposed to be helping with the orchestra? And the instruments are now sentient?

No thanks. Give me back the Muppets please.
The CGI designs looked good for opening in 2003.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom