Michael Eisner on Former Disney Colleagues, Rivals and Bob Iger's Successor

CJR

Anybody else get the feeling he's wanting back in?

He wouldn't be the first CEO to leave a company and come back. Worked out great for Apple. Not sure about Disney though. He's also older now, but I suppose, still good to run a company.

Magenta Panther

Eisner always seemed to actually like Disney for itself, as opposed to Iger, who's only interested in how it can be exploited (as cheaply as possible). Too bad he made the mistake of buying the Muppets, and almost lost Pixar. For those reasons, I really don't want him back.

steviej

Not sure how I feel about the thought of Eisner coming back. I feel like he didn't start his, shall we say, stuff (I'm really thinking of another "S" word) till the second Lillian died.

And honestly, that's just a slimeball thing to do. Like I said in my earlier post, we got some stuff because of him, like DCL and DVC. But we almost lost Pixar forever because of him, and lets face it. That's just the tip of the iceberg

Brad Bishop

It does bring up an interesting question:

How would you set it up to supposedly "right the ship"?

Just because someone has worked their way through WDW starting as a janitor or whatever and moving into upper management doesn't mean that they have the business acuity to run WDW or even the P&R division. Pulling in someone from outside means that you have a good chance that you'll end up with short-term quarterly gains but also a lack of knowledge of the parks and long-term attractions / changes.

It's easy to sit on our couches and say what we'd do but when you have shareholders badgering you and the market in general and other players that you have to contend with plus the rabid fans.. It's not as easy as it sounds.

SorcererMC

I miss him introducing The Wonderful World of Disney, almost in a Walt-like way.

One thing is clear from the THR interview/podcast - Eisner's public persona is personable, engaging, and he attributes his success to luck/good fortune or the involvement of others (at least in the first 30 min. I've listened to, and other interviews). He described an experience early in his career of going to interview for PBS, and the guy interviewing him was negative towards the broadcasting business, so Eisner decided he never wanted to be 'that guy'. I don't think he wants back in, I think he still sees himself as a 'cheerleader' for Disney.

I wish The Wonderful World of Disney would get a reboot, but I don't see it resonating with today's cynical audience.

brb1006

One thing is clear from the THR interview/podcast - Eisner's public persona is personable, engaging, and he attributes his success to luck/good fortune or the involvement of others (at least in the first 30 min. I've listened to, and other interviews). He described an experience early in his career of going to interview for PBS, and the guy interviewing him was negative towards the broadcasting business, so Eisner decided he never wanted to be 'that guy'. I don't think he wants back in, I think he still sees himself as a 'cheerleader' for Disney.

I wish The Wonderful World of Disney would get a reboot, but I don't see it resonating with today's cynical audience.
I still remember Wonderful World Of Disney briefly returned for the airing of Mary Poppins years ago.

SorcererMC

I still remember Wonderful World Of Disney briefly returned for the airing of Mary Poppins years ago.
That was in December (I still have it on the DVR). It was sponsored by Target, so I'm not sure it's something that Disney would do on its own? I don't mind a Disney Legend like Dick van being the face of the company, I think there ought to be someone....TWDC is at least 2 generations removed from its founder so maybe that's why they don't have an individual person like that anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom