MIA from WDW?

stratman50th

Original Poster
Two items that I was kind of thinking of that I miss from the "old days".
The first being the original "Mickey Bar". I'm not really an ice cream guy, but those old Mickey Bars were made out of Dove chocolate. They were awesome! Now it's just a ho hum nestle bar (I think). I wonder why they changed them. Ok, money I guess. Nestle bid the contract cheaper...

The next is the Igloo at the Coca Cola exhibit over at EPCOT. You know, the one that had the big SnowCat on top and the frozen cave man inside. That was a great stop in the heat of the summer, walking through there and ending up in the store trying out all the international Coca Cola flavors! Most of which I thought were pretty nasty.:hurl:
I heard a story from a cast member on why they got rid of the Igloo. Let me know what you all heard as to why it's gone and I'll post what they told me.

ddbowdoin

The first being the original "Mickey Bar". I'm not really an ice cream guy, but those old Mickey Bars were made out of Dove chocolate. They were awesome! Now it's just a ho hum nestle bar (I think). I wonder why they changed them. Ok, money I guess. Nestle bid the contract cheaper...

The next is the Igloo at the Coca Cola exhibit over at EPCOT. You know, the one that had the big SnowCat on top and the frozen cave man inside. That was a great stop in the heat of the summer, walking through there and ending up in the store trying out all the international Coca Cola flavors! Most of which I thought were pretty nasty.:hurl:
I heard a story from a cast member on why they got rid of the Igloo. Let me know what you all heard as to why it's gone and I'll post what they told me.

money

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I dunno, I just had a Mickey bar two weeks ago, and it seemed to be a quality ice cream bar. :slurp: The chocolate coating seemed pretty thick, at least to me...I guess I just have plebeian tastes. :lol:

rsoxguy

A bit off topic, but I opened this thread thinking that you were looking for directions to Miami International Airport (MIA) from Disney World. :)

BTW- Turnpike South to the 836.

stratman50th

Original Poster
I dunno, I just had a Mickey bar two weeks ago, and it seemed to be a quality ice cream bar. The chocolate coating seemed pretty thick, at least to me...I guess I just have plebeian tastes.
But, it's not a Dove Bar! :(

A bit off topic, but I opened this thread thinking that you were looking for directions to Miami International Airport (MIA) from Disney World. :)

BTW- Turnpike South to the 836.
Thanks! I'll mark it on the map. (Yes, I still have a paper map).

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

The coke store itself, of course, is still there. As for the igloo and snow cat, -- I assumed that somebody interested in quality show got a look at it and said " IS THAT DOING IN THE CENTER OF FUTURE WORLD?" and then ripped it down with his/her bare hands. :shrug:

If only that same person would look up and see the awnings...

wizards8507

I dunno, I just had a Mickey bar two weeks ago, and it seemed to be a quality ice cream bar. :slurp: The chocolate coating seemed pretty thick, at least to me...I guess I just have plebeian tastes. :lol:

Reminds me of when I first joined the boards and some guy ripped me a new one because I dared to suggest that Samuel Adams was a good beer. It's like they say... The Dove-eating microbrewers truly rule the world.

notnothin

Two items that I was kind of thinking of that I miss from the "old days". The first being the original "Mickey Bar". I'm not really an ice cream guy, but those old Mickey Bars were made out of Dove chocolate.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't the actual 'original' Mickey Bar something other than a Dove bar?

KerrriK85

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't the actual 'original' Mickey Bar something other than a Dove bar?
i googled it, it was "good humor"...i miss those, the ones in the park now are too hard and the chocolate breaks off in a huge chunk and goes straight to the floor :(

tampabrad

Shamu bars are Dove. Yummy!! Mickey bars are still good though.

I would imagine running Ice Station Cool was very expensive. Very expensive path leading to free soda is a "no no" to TDO. I loved to have "snowball" fights in there.

Jerm

Ice Station Cool closed in 2005 and became Club Cool. The reasons why I heard were be because of the safety from the snow and slip chances and/or because the snow making machine broke often and cost a lot to repair/replace.

Monorail Lime

It wasn't just the Micky Bars. All the ice cream in the parks was switched to Nestlé or a Nestlé-owned brand when Nestlé became a sponsor. That's also why WDW exclusively sold Toll House cookies (a Nestlé company) and Nescafe coffee (yuck!) for a while.

stratman50th

Original Poster
Ice Station Cool closed in 2005 and became Club Cool. The reasons why I heard were be because of the safety from the snow and slip chances and/or because the snow making machine broke often and cost a lot to repair/replace.
This is the closest to what I was told.
Apparently the cooling system was a one-of and could not be kept running. In addition, the attraction was built around the cooling unit. Rather than build a new one, or modify the attraction to take a system more generic or off the shelf, they decided to scrap it all together. I hadn't heard of any injuries, but could easily see how it might happen. Too bad because it really was an awesome place to go in the heat of the day.

Patrick_Ears

So do I. But changes will always happend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom