MGM - Movie Ride

JLW11Hi

And I thank you for your hard work, too!

I really like the tour guide component of the GMR. I don't think the ride would be nearly as fun without it.

Disneyfanman

Since some of the ride hosts read this board, I will tell you about a great experience that I had in late October. Our host, Jo, was the best I have ever had on the ride (Probably 15 trips over the years). She threw herself into the role, and in between bits chatted up my daughter and I about the hidden Mickeys on the ride. We loved her energy and spirit. When I left the park I left a compliment for her at Guest Services.......something I try and do whenever a CM really does an incredible job.

On the Movie Ride and the Jungle Cruise, the hosts either make or break the experience for me. Last year we had a wonderful host on the JC, and it was like an entirely new experience. I left a compliment then as well. The Disney Difference, for me anyway, is always the quality of the CMs. Every now and then I will have a poor experience with one, but usually it's way outnumbered by the great experiences with the majority. On our trip in October, we did not encounter a single rude CM, and actually had one of our best trips ever from that perspective.

Way to go!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I agree about the driver making or breaking the experience. I have had wonderful drivers on this ride, who make the trip lovely. Most recently, however, we had a terrible driver, but a fantastic gangster. I think most of us were sad to see the gangster go.

I also believe the same is true of Kiliminjaro Safaris. A really good guide can make the story-line (which I find completely unnecessary) bareable.

cmatt

I agree about the driver making or breaking the experience. I have had wonderful drivers on this ride, who make the trip lovely. Most recently, however, we had a terrible driver, but a fantastic gangster. I think most of us were sad to see the gangster go.

I also believe the same is true of Kiliminjaro Safaris. A really good guide can make the story-line (which I find completely unnecessary) bareable.

killi safari's was kinda anticlimatic for me - because of this reason, the driver had a really nasel(ey) voice and didnt really speak with much enthusiasm....

rhino rally at busch was better :sohappy: :lookaroun

JimboJones123

killi safari's was kinda anticlimatic for me - because of this reason, the driver had a really nasel(ey) voice and didnt really speak with much enthusiasm....

rhino rally at busch was better :sohappy: :lookaroun
What makes a great safari is the ability to put as little effort into the story and much more into the actual "living" animals.

Slipknot

hakunamatata said:
I have ridden this attraction probably 50 times and never have had the bandit, only the gangster. Hopefully in January. :lol:

You can always ask if it looks like you are getting the Gangster again.

cmatt

What makes a great safari is the ability to put as little effort into the story and much more into the actual "living" animals.

this is true - but there is still no need to be half arsed :lookaroun he was obviously saying some sort of sctipt - but it just seemed so robotic. Compared to rhino rally at busch

Thats all i was saying ;) :p right bed time, its 02:27 and i have to be at work in 6 1/2 horus :cry:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

I agree and that was Susan's big problem. She wasn't even looking for animals. The nice gentleman at the front of vehicle was pointing out more wildlife than she was.

tirian

Yo, some of those crappy hosts are active members of this board (me, for example), and don't take kindly to being referred to as such. We bust our behinds for the ride, so if you're going to pose as a disney fan at least try to do it convincingly by giving respect where it's due.

By the way, it's "tour guide", not "host".

I love seeing you guys in costume at Take 5 Cafe!

:wave:

I love the GMR. It's my favorite Disney ride, and has been for a good decade. I just turned 23 and have always been a big movie fan. Haven't seen every movie on that ride...but am familiar with all of them

I love the Alien scene. It used to scare me as a kid, but that's part of the charm of it in an odd way. It will still give me the creeps just a little bit, too. That's what it should do. I think it's a nice, creepy scene in an otherwise pretty even keeled ride. And you need something to represent the horror/suspense/thriller genre.

Obviously, you can always improve on ANY ride. No matter how good it is. While I love the ride, I can sort of see why others can't get into it. I think it could be spiced up--maybe through how the riders actually experience the ride. Instead of going slowly through the different movie scenes, maybe the ride could be more interactive. Maybe the cars could be similar to the "Dinosaur" vehicles. In the Wizard of Oz scene, instead of just slowly strolling through, maybe the vehicle gets "blown" around and around in the tornado with Dorothy's house. Maybe they can add AA's that actually move and have better overall functionality. So as Dorothy and crew are skipping down the yellow brick road, we are following behind them step by step.

Instead of a stagnant Alien scene, maybe we actually enter the scene of an entire ship. And as we roll through on the vehicle, we take turns down the dark corridors, hearing sounds all around you. As you hear Ripley's voice in the distance, an Alien creeps up behind the vehicle. Your car ramps up speed, trying to outrun the creature. You see another Alien appear at the end of the ship's hall, but a last second manuever allows you to escape the Alien scene, and enter a scene from Mary Poppins. Suddenly you are on the rooftop of a building. And you see Mary floating. You see the skyline as your vehicle drives you across the roof. Suddenly, you see chimney sweepers appear, dancing in unison as they are singing "Step-in Time."

I can even almost see this being a cross breed between how the Spiderman ride is presented for riders, and how the Dinosaur ride is presented. Both are very interactive and fun.

rrob5

The Gangster

Dude, why so harsh? Marni was just stating fact, not expressing any endorsement of the live host. And FWIW, while i've experienced my fair share of bored GMR CM's from the college program going through the motions (who probably don't even know who James Cagney is), I've also had some great experiences. On this last trip, our gangster was an older gentleman (i'd say about 50) who really really got into it! He used a stereotypical "tough guy" accent, and went off script a few times totally in character, ad-libbing with the guest around him. (anyone know him? tell him he's great!)

I had this guy last Saturday Nov 18. He was great! Had the Brooklyn "doity tree wes doity doid street" accent perfect. Didn't catch his name.

tirian

The MGM name movie rights have nothing to do with the Great Movie Ride. That myth is 100% Internet Rumor Mill Garbage.

shimshim

Aww. .the GMR is one of my favorites. :)

You know, while I'm not a fan of the Alien movies, I expect that part of the ride and it would seem a bit odd to not have it there, so I hope it stays as well. .as it probably will. As many people have said, why add in some POTC theme when people can go over to the MK and ride an entire pirate ride instead?

This is a bit off topic, but I've always just wondered about this. Someone listed a few classic movies a few pages back, and Gone With The Wind was a movie that I always wished was in this ride. Anyone know why they never picked it for the ride or the reason was simply that..it just wasn't picked. ?

iheartdisney91

well i love this ride, but they really dont need to let any of it go really, make the alien part scarier and perhaps the final movie part they should add in harry potter or potc the only thing with adding potc is that the ride in mk wont be special you know? ooohh perhaps nightmare b4 x-mas were the movie was it can be the entrance wall when you go to the ride oh and make the fantasia part more magical not just a screen

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom