MFSR 40 minutes; Slinky Dog 50

HongKongFu

Original Poster
On any given day I might drop into a park and sit back and absorb the atmosphere. On Tues afternoon I spontaneously decided to go over to Studios to drink some coffee, walk around and chat with some CM's.

Something is not right.

Considering the project scope, hype, and budget I'm getting the impression Star Wars Land is not getting the type love Disney expected.

It happened in Anaheim and now it's happening in WDW.

How in the world is Slinky more coveted than Falcon? 40 minute wait for a new E-ish ride in a billion dollar land??? Even after factoring in FP or lackthereof it just confounds.

Last edited:

CAV

Same experience on Monday for us. SR said wait time was 45 minutes-it was easily not more than 30 minutes.

SDD had a posted 50 minute wait and it was every bit of it.

But, the SR line never stopped moving.
SDD, on the other hand, was a constants stop and go.

Seems like SR had more throughput than SDD. Perhaps it was because there was not a FP line slowing the standby line down.

BTW, SR left me feeling, "Was that it?"

Jon81uk

Same experience on Monday for us. SR said wait time was 45 minutes-it was easily not more than 30 minutes.

SDD had a posted 50 minute wait and it was every bit of it.

But, the SR line never stopped moving.
SDD, on the other hand, was a constants stop and go.

Seems like SR had more throughput than SDD. Perhaps it was because there was not a FP line slowing the standby line down.

BTW, SR left me feeling, "Was that it?"

The Slinky line indeed would be stop-start due to FastPass, only around 20% of the seats on the ride are given to standby. Whereas Smugglers doesn't currently have FastPass so 99.9% of spots go to standby (there might be some VIP or other).
This is why the Slinky wait time is so long, there probably are fewer people in the standby line for Slinky, but they wait longer than Smugglers as the people with FastPass get to go first.

This is not a sign that Smugglers has failed, this is just showing that wait times in standby are longer when FastPass is operating.

eliza61nyc

Smuggler’s run sucks.
Simple AS that. Nobody is in a Hurry to ride it again like FoP.
according to who?? serious question, people who recently come back actually liked it. now they did say FOP is still the big cheese but I haven't heard that it sucked. and just from a quick google on reviews, they are pretty much favorable. not every single ride is going to be FOP.

I have not rode it so I'm reserving judgment until I do.

Last edited:

HongKongFu

Original Poster
I heard stories about Space Mountain queuing back in the day. And it sounded like crazy waits.
Splash Mnt at Disneylan had 2+ hour waits way past opening

Star Tours, too

IJ at Disneyland had 2.5 hour way past opening

Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin had 90 minute waits months after opening

*There was no FP at those times, none.*

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I heard stories about Space Mountain queuing back in the day. And it sounded like crazy waits.
Splash Mnt at Disneylan had 2+ hour waits way past opening

Star Tours, too

IJ at Disneyland had 2.5 hour way past opening

Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin had 90 minute waits months after opening

There was no FP at that time, none.

Not sure how much of a difference location makes but we went to DL Paris (Euro Disney) about 20 years ago. No fastpasses were available and the rides all had really long queues. the Space Mountain wait was well over 3 hours. We didn't end up riding anything.

It was nice though that they had misting fans for the lines. WDW needs misting fans.

HongKongFu

Original Poster
Too many loyalists and excuse makers can't handle the truth.

Falcons and Star Wars Lands on both coasts as a whole are not performing anywhere near the galactic expectations and I'm not sure why.

7 months ago I was thinking there was a serious potential that Star Wars would attract a conga line from I- 4 to the gates of Studios for the first several weeks.

HongKongFu

Original Poster
Oh I'm going cut you
""Oh but Rise hasn't opened yet"" defenders off early.

Toon Town opened many months without Cartoon Spin and it was packed in the early '90's. PACKED!

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Falcons and Star Wars Lands on both coasts as a whole are not performing anywhere near the galactic expectations and I'm not sure why.

7 months ago I was thinking there was a serious potential that Star Wars would attract a conga line from I- 4 to the gates of Studios for the first several weeks.

It still might. When it actually opens as a full land.

Dad 2 M & M

Disney "Loyalist" here....and don't really get hyped up for Star Wars. I am surprised the softness of the new Land and am with you as I don't understand.

It seemed when DHS was converting to Star Wars theme (maybe 3-5 years in the transformation?), with the fireworks, Storm Troopers, etc. it seemed like the opening of the Land was going to be a crazy insurmountable mess. Seems like that only lasted a few days.... I thought there was way more Star Wars peeps out there....

Thebolt

It is interesting how the land nobody wanted, Avatar, was a huge success; whilst the land everybody wanted is under performing. ROTR will probably change that if it lives up to the hype.

You get the distinct impression Disney marketing has really messed up. Everybody heard the place would be over crowded, Disney tried to gouge money out of the situation with ticket and hotel price increases, then they deliver an incomplete land.... so the general public called their bluff.
I think they have answered the question of just how hard can they squeeze peoples wallets before they start saying no. Its an expensive product, so why would the irregular visitor spend their money on it before it is finished?

HongKongFu

Original Poster
it seemed like the opening of the Land was going to be a crazy insurmountable mess. Seems like that only lasted a few days...

Small correction........let's use "day" as in singular. I was there on day 2 and showed up around 3pm and the place was not packed, busy with a lot of movement and energy but most definitely not packed whatsoever. Falcon was 70 minutes and the light saber store had a 8 person deep queue to enter it. Travel Guides would allow those queuing in as other "travelers" exited the shop

Weather_Lady

My two cents: Having waited in an only-25-minute-line for Millennium Falcon at DL a couple of weeks ago, I can testify that the attraction moves people through surprisingly quickly (the line was almost to the entrance, but it moved constantly, and the queue was so well-done and full of details that it was a pleasure to move through), which reflects both a respectable capacity, AND the lack of Fastpass. At Slinky, the wait is going to be longer because its capacity is tiny, and the vast majority of people riding it have FP, so those in standby can't avoid a long wait even when the standby line is short. It's not that Slinky is any better or more popular. In fact, having experienced MFSR without Fastpass bogging down the line, my personal wish is that it never starts distributing Fastpasses.

While I think Disney shot itself in the foot by opening Galaxy's Edge without its main attraction, and by cutting out a table-service restaurant and other elements that would have made it more of a draw to guests of all ages, I don't necessarily think the lack of crowds is reflective of a lack of interest or an indication that MFSR isn't a good attraction. I suspect that many guests are simply waiting to visit until the land is "complete," and don't like the idea of walking all the way out to a far-flung section of the park when the only thing you can do there (without spending additional money) is just one attraction.

Last edited:

CAV

My two cents: Having waited in an only-25-minute-line for Millennium Falcon at DL a couple of weeks ago, I can testify that the attraction moves people through surprisingly quickly (the line was almost to the entrance, but it moved constantly, and the queue was so well-done and full of details that it was a pleasure to move through), which reflects both a respectable capacity, AND the lack of Fastpass. At Slinky, the wait is going to be longer because its capacity is tiny, and the vast majority of people riding it have FP, so those in standby can't avoid a long wait even when the standby line is short. It's not that Slinky is any better or more popular. In fact, having experienced MFSR without Fastpass bogging down the line, my personal wish is that it never starts distributing Fastpasses.

While I think Disney shot itself in the foot by opening Galaxy's Edge without its main attraction, and by cutting out a table-service restaurant and other elements that would have made it more of a draw to guests of all ages, I don't necessarily think the lack of crowds is reflective of a lack of interest or an indication that MFSR isn't a good attraction. I suspect that many guests are simply waiting to visit until the land is "complete," and don't like the idea of walking all the way out to a far-flung section of the park when the only thing you can do there (without spending additional money) is just one attraction.
There a huge Star Wars fans. And there are huge Disney fans. But it doesn't appear there are huge Star Wars Disney fans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom