Trip Report *COMPLETED* Merriest Birthday in the World, November 2021 at the Dolphin

I swear I thought of a clever trip report title during my trip, but it has fallen out of my brain so you get this generic, boring title.

But anyway.

Who: Me and my husband, R
Why: My birthday!
When: November 7-1211 (more on that later)
Where: Dolphin

Here's a cute pic of us for the first post :inlove:

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure I napped a little this day. When we left the room, I was still sluggish, so I asked R if we could pop over to the Swan Reserve to check it out and try the coffee place. He didn't want to walk that far, but he agreed to check out the Swan.

This was about 4:30. We still weren't close to being called for Remy's :cautious: so no need to rush.

The Swan "lobby" is much less impressive. I didn't even see the check in desks though, so maybe there's a bigger area down a hallway. The coffee place here was basically the same at the Dolphin, so I didn't end up getting anything. Just kind of run-of-the-mill stuff.

Since we had no set plans, we swung by the Beach Club to check out the gingerbread carousel!! I was SO pumped for this! I was so mad at myself for forgetting my camera. By the time I realized it, I didn't feel like going back, so I just made do with my phone.

Isn't it so cool?! I loved the Little Mermaid theme. I checked out the treats available, but nothing called to me. I did buy the two Beach Club Christmas pins for some inexplicable reason...I do not need them even a little :hilarious:

When we got into Epcot, we headed to France just in case we got called and to check out the area.

I was interested in trying out the Crêperie but had done zero research so I was confused by the inside situation. I didn't see a counter to order and it just looked like seating, so that made me think I had to order outside then go in. If you've been there, you know I was wrong and in fact would not be allowed to even sit inside with my outdoor crepe. So I got a crepe outside which had a way more boring menu...and the crepe was not good, so there's that. I'd still like to try the actual quick service place, the menu is much more exciting. Hopefully it was a fluke that the crepe was so bad (It was v rubbery...maybe it's supposed to be? Just wasn't what I expected)

Still no sign of a boarding group being called, so we went back to Noodle Exchange since we missed it for lunch.

Did we need all four? Heck no. WHY DID WE DO THIS?!

• Traditional Spicy Vietnamese Beef Pho with Shaved Beef, Enoki Mushrooms, and Thai Basil – $5.50
  • Char Siu Pork Udon with Enoki Mushrooms, Bok Choy, and Soy Pickled Egg – $5.50
  • Shrimp and Coconut Curry Rice Noodles with Shiitake Mushrooms and Thai Basil – $6.25
  • Tofu Pho with Enoki Mushrooms and Thai Basil – $5.50
The only 10/10 one was the shrimp and coconut curry. It was soooooo good! I actually have a recipe for something similar that I haven't made in probably 5 years, so I'm going to have to revisit that.

The beef option was also quite good, but the tofu and pork ones were kind of boring. I didn't like the actual tofu AT ALL. I've had tofu that I liked, but this was not to my taste. I think it was the pork one where the noodles seemed off, like they didn't get cooked correctly. So we should have done the shrimp and beef only. We finished both of those and threw quite a bit of the other two away, which I hate doing! I'm one of those people who has a hard time throwing food away, but I'm working on it. Or rather working on just not getting more food than I actually want.

While we were stuffing ourselves with noodles, our boarding group was called! I prepared myself for a long wait and we walked over.

It was going on 6pm at this point

Decided to leave the lens reflection in those :hilarious:

y'alllllllll the line was so long.

Also until you get to this cool rooftop scene, the queue is a major snoozefest.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Our wait was a little over an hour...which of course is why some people are paying for an individual LL for this guy.

I thought it was a cute ride. Would I wait an hour again? Absolutely not. Would I pay extra to skip the line and ride? Absolutely not. May not ride this one again unless the hype dies down.

Had to mark the occasion with a photo!

We decided to get one of R's favs from Ireland
Warm Chocolate Pudding Cake with Irish Cream Liqueur Custard – $5.50

Super delicious as always!

We may or may not have gotten anything else, but I have no photos. It was so dark and a lot of the tables we found to stand at during this trip (at night) were so dark we could barely see each other, much less take pictures. I'll check my booklet at the end of this report and fill you in on anything that was left out!

We decided to walk to the front of the park to check out the Beacons of Magic light display on Spaceship Earth. Again...wish I had my camera. :banghead:

Got some weird/cool fisheye photos while we were up there

Tired of this yet?

We sat there for a good bit and just enjoyed it. It's so pretty!

We once again were not interested in staying until Harmonious. I think it was at 9:45, which doesn't sound that late, but we didn't feel like riding anything, and we didn't want to just sit around for almost two hours.

On the way out we stopped for my favorite dessert! This year it's at the Refreshment Port near Canada. The line here moves slow because it's only one register, but eventually I got it.

Maple Boursin Cheesecake with Whipped Boursin Maple Bourbon Cheese and Candied Pecans – $4.50

UGHHHH IT'S SO GOOD! I want it again right now. Also from the first photo, it looks like one of us got a drink as well, but I can't remember who or what...haha.

And that's it for our Epcot day! Up next is MY BIRTHDAY!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
If I remember correctly (or maybe I’m confusing it with crepes at DLP), they use premade ones and heat them up - which are often rubbery (and a bit thicker than a crepe made fresh from batter).

Pre-COVID, Ratatouille in DLP had a single rider line and my DD and I were often in the same ride vehicle, just one sitting behind the other. I looks like the have the exact same queue in Orlando, because you are right: there is nothing to see until you get to the end. I do love the ride though (when I don’t have to wait for it!)

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
If I remember correctly (or maybe I’m confusing it with crepes at DLP), they use premade ones and heat them up - which are often rubbery (and a bit thicker than a crepe made fresh from batter).

Pre-COVID, Ratatouille in DLP had a single rider line and my DD and I were often in the same ride vehicle, just one sitting behind the other. I looks like the have the exact same queue in Orlando, because you are right: there is nothing to see until you get to the end. I do love the ride though (when I don’t have to wait for it!)
Ok that's good to hear about the crepe, because maybe the ones from inside will be freshly made and taste better! I'll give them a try sometime.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
I woke up fairly early, as usual, and made my coffee to sit on the balcony and read. I didn't mention this before, but it was chilly in the mornings, so I usually sad out there with a sweatshirt! I don't think most of the rooms at the Dolphin have a balcony, but I splurged on one because I love those balcony mornings.

We left the room about 10 after 8, and MK opened at 9 (8:30 for resort guests). I knew we most likely wouldn't make it for that 8:30 time, and I was right. We walked over to the Boardwalk to catch a bus since the Dolphin bus drops at the TTC.

Our bus wait was long, but we eventually got dropped off about 8:50.

By the time we got through the tapstiles (thanks to the clueless family in the AP line...why do we even get in that line?) it was 9, so no need to prove we were staying on-site.

Made our way down Main Street!

I REALLY wanted to ride Jingle Cruise because we've never seen the holiday overlay.

The line was already super long, but in hindsite, we should have gotten it out of the way then. Instead we did some photopass photos

You can see on R's shorts that the camel got him :hilarious: It got his mask wet, but it dried quickly.

We headed through to Frontierland and decided to get on Big Thunder. We walked right one.

And got BACK ROW BABY! Happy birthday to me!

I debated riding Splash because it was chilly, but we went for it. Only waited maybe 10 minutes for this.

Before

Thankfully no cannons and no waterfall, but we still got wet on the big drop.

After. You can't tell much from the picture, but we got splashed pretty good!

The elusive ride photo!

Up next: More MK

sheriffwoody

Original Poster

Can't skip my favorite on my birthday!

This was a pretty short wait too. We got stopped a couple of times, but never for long. So far we were having a great morning! It was looking crowded, so I didn't expect that luck to last.

Since we were in the area...

I think we did wait 15-20 minutes for this. We ordered lunch while in line (yeah it was early, but we didn't eat breakfast!)

We headed over to Friar's Nook to get our lunch. We had to wait a few for our window to open, then I said "we're here" and we waited a few more minutes for our food to be ready. Took some pictures while we waited.

R cuts my feet off all the time, but I don't want to say anything because at least he'll take pictures for me sometimes :hilarious:

I had to try one of the 50th items! I got the Wild Toad brat burger. I wasn't sure what a brat burger was, but once I took a bite, I understood it was just a burger made from a brat...I thought maybe it had a brat on top of it or something. Either way, it was good. If only I could EVER get a burger at Disney World with a decent bun. I swear every bun I've ever eaten at WDW has been stale. Even at regular table service restaurants.

I didn't get a proper photo, but R got some kind of loaded tots. He said they were good!

Up next: A little more MK

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
After we ate, we headed toward Tomorrowland.

Space was posted 40 minutes, I think, but I figured it wouldn't take that long. It ended up being pretty close, but by that time everything was high, so oh well. I don't even really like Space, but R seems to.

I REALLY wanted something from Joffrey's when we got off, but that line is always so dang long. I have such a hard time waiting in long lines for stuff like coffee. I'm that way at home too. There's a Starbucks at the entrance to my work and the line blocks the road nearly every morning. It drives me NUTS that people will sit in a 30+ minute line for crappy coffee....sorry I don't know why I'm ranting about coffee lines...anyway we kept moving and saw Stitch!

Birthday castle photo! With one foot cut off...

Where we headed...

Time for a treat! This was from Aloha Isle, the Tropical Serenade.
Pineapple-Orange-Guava Juice, Coconut Soft-serve, and an Upside-down Pineapple Cake Pop

It was very tasty! That area was INSANE so we stood outside the pin store to enjoy our treat. I would have much preferred a citrus swirl, but they didn't have it on the menu (it's normally at Sunshine Tree Terrace) so this was my second choice. I think citrus swirl has been gone for a while now, and I hope it's a supply chain thing and not permanent. We blame everything on that now, right?

Anyway, I have loves all the dessert concoctions I've had with the coconut soft-serve!

I checked and Jingle Cruise was hanging around an hour wait as it had been all day. Touring Plans said it would be less, so we took a chance. WHY. Why did I trust TP when it had already been wrong so many times...the world may never know.

I had PLENTY of time to take pictures in the queue :cautious:

If I'm smiling under that mask, it's fake.

I love this sign for some strange reason. I need to recreate it to hang outside my house for Christmas.

Up next: Are we still in line a month later?

sheriffwoody

Original Poster

Sweet mercy we finally made it. Y'all, I'm a huge baby, that wait was excruciating. Why is that the worst queue ever?! It's so bad!!!! At least the people in front of us were super adorable. It was a family with a baby and an older kid who was maybe the mom's younger sister? Couldn't tell for sure, but they were cute. And the mom breastfed her baby in line LIKE A BOSS! LP would never breastfeed like that, I had to be in a chair and position her just right because she's a little diva.

Anyway, we finally did this stupid ride and it was 100% not worth the wait, but at least we got to see the holiday overlay.

I have a friend who is a skipper now, and I was so hoping she'd be working and we could ride with her, but she was off that day. Our skipper was Taylor and she did a fabulous job! Thank goodness because after all that, if we'd had a bad skipper, it might have just ruined my birthday :hilarious:

We headed out of Adventureland by way of the pin store so I could check for my terrarium pin (it was too crowded, I barely glanced in there). Ended up catching a cavalcade!

I didn't even get a picture of Mickey...total pro here.

So one of the things I really wanted to do for my birthday was meet Mickey, but we were both just ready to go rest. It was pretty crowded and wait times were much too long. Plus we thought another snack might be good, so we could hop to Epcot and walk through to get back to our resort.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster

Got some photos on the way out.

And more!

I wanted a photo here on my birthday, but I don't know why I'm standing like such a goober.

We took the Express monorail to the TTC then hopped on the Epcot monorail. Got a nice preview of the beautiful construction areas.

When we got into the park, I was SO PUMPED to see Mickey out!!! I'd opted out of the meet and greet in MK, but I got some birthday Disney magic.

R managed to get a cute non-selfie of me (unprompted!!). All my birthday dreams have come true :inlove:

Finally got some coffee!!! I just got Joffrey's cold brew with cream and a pump of vanilla. It was fine, but not as good as some of their specialty drinks. Their cold brew is definitely nothing to write home about, it's pretty bitter, but it gets the job done.

I thought we got some snacks, but I didn't take any pictures. I'm 99% sure we did, so I'm sorry I didn't document! Too busy caffeinating, I guess.

Up next: birthday dinner

RememberWhen

Awesome birthday! Thanks for sharing about the nursing mom in the JC line. I always have a half moment of hesitation nursing in a line because sometimes people cane be jerks, but then I just do it anyway. Baby’s gotta eat. 🤷‍♀️

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Awesome birthday! Thanks for sharing about the nursing mom in the JC line. I always have a half moment of hesitation nursing in a line because sometimes people cane be jerks, but then I just do it anyway. Baby’s gotta eat. 🤷‍♀️

Not sure I could have nursed in a line (I needed to sit to nurse) but always impressed with women who could. However had no issues nursing in public as long as there was a place to sit - as you say, baby’s gotta eat.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster

Not sure I could have nursed in a line (I needed to sit to nurse) but always impressed with women who could. However had no issues nursing in public as long as there was a place to sit - as you say, baby’s gotta eat.
I couldn't even walk around the house and nurse with no top on, I for sure couldn't have done it out and about :hilarious: Maybe if I'd nursed longer and she was more in control of her own head (I had to stop at 4 months)

I always try to bring this up when I can to send the message that it's perfectly acceptable to nurse in public. It is hard to get past that fear of people judging you (for me anyway) so the more people who vocalize their acceptance, the better!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
You just need to get a Starbucks on campus like I have.…;):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
We have two coffee shops! There are two staff advisors and then students work as baristas. They're AMAAAAZING. That's why I never go to the Starbucks, cause the on campus places are so much better. :joyfull: Also the only two Starbucks in our town with drive-thrus are so awful and the good one is in a bad traffic area, so I never go. :facepalm:

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
After resting for a bit, we started getting ready for dinner. Dinner was at 6:05 and we started heading down to the lobby around 5:15. Why did we cut it so close? Because we'd decided to take a Lyft! We were going to Steakhouse 71 and the only thing I could think to do was a bus to MK then a monorail ride to Contemporary (since we'd be dropped off at the TTC, we'd have to make all the stops on the monorail). That just sounded so long and so unreliable, so we used Lyft.

We were picked up at 5:26 and dropped off at 5:38. This was one of our cheapest rides at $16.90 (with the tip). We had a few minutes to wander the shops at the Contemporary and I found the poster calendar I wanted! It's a bit large, so I thought I might come back and get it later.

All dressed up!

Made our way down and checked in. I think the lobby looks so nice! And I loved the changes for the restaurant.

Took a self timer picture of us from this lovely low angle (propped on a chair). Despite the weird angle, I like it.

We got called for our table pretty close to our reservation time and were seated toward the back of the restaurant. It took a while before our server finally came by, I was starting to get worried. Eventually we got order in and started with drinks.

I had a pear French 75 and it was delightful! R and I have gotten into making cocktails at home and we've made French 75s, so I knew I liked them. The pear flavor was a nice touch. I can't recall what R got to drink, unfortunately. They had a lot of great stuff on the menu though.

For our app, we got the crab cakes and OMGGGGGG they were so good!! I had wanted the French onion soup, but I didn't want to get too full and that stuff is heavy. The crab cakes were so perfect. I honestly would have been happy if we'd left then...so far so good on the food!

For my main, I had a filet with the red wine glazed mushrooms. Again OMGGGGGG. Ok the steak was a steak. R actually makes a great steak at home, so I'm spoiled, but this was good! And the mushrooms were fabulous! That red wine sauce was super yum.

I think R had a strip and mashed potatoes. He said his steak was too salty...oh well. He's hard to impress.

We had the sauce flight. Chimichurri was my fav. I can't remember what R's fav was, maybe horseradish? They were all good, but none blew me away. If we go back, I'll probably just stick with the chimichurri and not worry about the flight, but I'm glad I got to try them all.

So our intention was to get that massive chocolate cake to celebrate my birthday, but our service was sooooo slow, we opted against that. Our server was very kind and I enjoyed him, but attentive he was not. I think we were there 1.5hr, which isn't terrible, but dessert definitely would have stretched it closer to 2 hours.

I was really keen on popping back into the Magic Kingdom!

Main Street was packed to the gills for fireworks, so we just stood on the edge of the sidewalk. We couldn't see the castle, but I wasn't too upset, I mean it was 10 minutes until showtime, so I didn't expect a good view.

Some folks seemed to expect a good view this close to the show, so we had lots of people squeezing in as close as they could to us and the people in the street. I was trying to stay up on the curb so people would stay away from me (like I said, I couldn't even see the castle!) but I still had people nearly touching me.

Had a pretty view behind me.

Leaned out a bit and got a couple of shots with the castle.

My face during Enchantment

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

That's what replaced Happily Ever After? Really? I can't even pinpoint what's so bad about it, I just...didn't like it. The music was blah and the transitions were really jarring. Oh well, glad we got to see it for ourselves at least.

We had plenty of time to get to Epcot to see Harmonious, so off we went! Packed into the monorail like actual sardines, covid schmovid.

Not a lot of people were hopping to the Epcot monorail, so it wasn't quite as full.

Would have looked cooler with a monorail gliding by!

We walked all the way to Germany so I could get the Schöfferhofer Wild Cherry Hefeweizen at the festival booth. AND THEY WERE OUT! Ugh. I was so sad, and I maybe felt a little more upset than I should have over a drink :hilarious: I went back to Hops and Barley and got that strawberry and lime beer instead. We had a little time to kill, so we went back to that quiet spot in the UK to enjoy our drinks (R got the Kilkenny in Ireland, it's one of our favorites.)

Once it was close to Harmonious time, we just walked out of the UK pavilion and stood on the far side of the walkway to watch. Obviously we couldn't see much, but I figured I could watch it properly on YouTube later.

I liked Harmonious MUCH better. I always loved Illuminations too, so maybe I'm just more of an Epcot show gal. I loved the music and I love the concept of the animators from different countries working on the graphics. I can't wait to see those in more detail.

Anyway, that was where our evening ended! We walked back to our room and fell right asleep. Overall, it was truly a wonderful birthday! One of the best I've had in years. So thankful to have been there and been able to enjoy some of my favorite things.

Up next: HS

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom