Merchandise is not good

timoteo

Original Poster
Just got back from WDW and now after 15 trips to WDW and 3 trips to Disneyland, we can say with certainty that the general merchandise for sale at Disneyland is about 4 notches above any store on the WDW property on a 10 notch scale. The stuff at WDW is really on the crappy side, even at the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney. It seems the stuff for sale at Disneyland comes from people who are a bit more sensative to color design and graphics etc. Also Disneyland has much much better versions of the following
1. Pirates
2. Space mountain
3. Indiana Jones / Compared to Dinosaur
4. Wishes. So much better at Disneyland. No contest
5. Peter Pan's Flight
6. Haunted mansion. A couple of notches for the exterior and loading area I must say.
7. Jungle cruise. A few notches better

wedway71

I do wish they would bring back the circa 1980s Donald tshirt that was white with the blue sleeve and neck rings----the one Sammy Hagar wore in a video back in the day.

For you "youngins" he was a rock star in the 80s- man im old:cry:

ToTBellHop

WDW merchandise has certainly slipped in quality in recent years. I was completely disgusted at the Tower of Terror giftshop last year. Most of the stuff wasn't even Disney-made! I don't need to go to WDW to buy crap I can buy at a Spencer's store at the mall...

Kristi Kay

I would agree that it has slipped, but it's the only place your going to get it so....

And DL has everything better than DW. Better Merch, Parades, Some Rides, etc... Maybe it's their way of drawing ppl to DL too b/c WDW has alot more to offer w/ 4 parks/2 water parks/multiple resorts/ mini golf so on and so on...

scpergj

I do wish they would bring back the circa 1980s Donald tshirt that was white with the blue sleeve and neck rings----the one Sammy Hagar wore in a video back in the day.

For you "youngins" he was a rock star in the 80s- man im old:cry:

That's funny!! I'm a big Sammy fan...but then I'm a thirty something that went to high school and college (first time through) in the 80's...

Oh, have you seen the Napa commercial with Sammy singing "I Can't Drive..."!

Classic, I tell you, just a classic...

Kevin

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I agree. As recently as two to three years ago, $45 would get you a nice embroidered sweatshirt. Now those are around $65 and the $45 ones are iron ons.

natalia1681

I don't buy a whole lot of stuff from Disney parks. I do hit the Disney stores constantly. When they put sales on, they have some great deals. I've gotten adult Ts for $5 and kids Ts for $2.

Those same Ts would be $25-30 in Disney. Can't do it.:cry:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I don't buy a whole lot of stuff from Disney parks. I do hit the Disney stores constantly. When they put sales on, they have some great deals. I've gotten adult Ts for $5 and kids Ts for $2.

Those same Ts would be $25-30 in Disney. Can't do it.:cry:

We love the kids PJ sets from the Disney Store. They run great deals on those as well.

LoriMistress

Just got back from WDW and now after 15 trips to WDW and 3 trips to Disneyland, we can say with certainty that the general merchandise for sale at Disneyland is about 4 notches above any store on the WDW property on a 10 notch scale. The stuff at WDW is really on the crappy side, even at the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney. It seems the stuff for sale at Disneyland comes from people who are a bit more sensative to color design and graphics etc. Also Disneyland has much much better versions of the following
1. Pirates
2. Space mountain
5. Peter Pan's Flight
6. Haunted mansion. A couple of notches for the exterior and loading area I must say.

I completely agree with you, though I do prefer PPF at MK over DL only because it's faster to loading/unloading guests.

bob0012

1. Pirates
2. Space mountain
5. Peter Pan's Flight

Definatly agree but I wouldn't expect that to last long. With the new Disney Parks brand (and idea) the stuff should be the sames at both parks (and probebly the cheap stuff)

ToTBellHop

Definatly agree but I wouldn't expect that to last long. With the new Disney Parks brand (and idea) the stuff should be the sames at both parks (and probebly the cheap stuff)
Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Dinosaur? All Jay Rasulo would need to do is add the Indy theme to the background music loop in the queue and they'd be set.

bob0012

Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Dinosaur? All Jay Rasulo would need to do is add the Indy theme to the background music loop in the queue and they'd be set.

I was speaking genearly about having diffrent things, but with the fact that that Dinosaur thing has never really done well it could happen.

fizzle75

The closest Disney Store to me is about 2 1/2 hours away so if I want Disney merch I either have to get it at WDW or DisneyShopping.com and Disneyshopping.com has a horrible selection of men's clothing although occasionally you can find some good deals at disneyoutlet.com.

timoteo

Original Poster
I am a bit picky when it come to buying stuff. Being a design person by trade. However, I always used to find something, An interesting graphic on a T-shirt, a retro - blast from the past item, a clever and subtle use of the Disney style or characters or a great book. There is just nothing at WDW anymore.

Disneyland has two shops that come to mind. One is a bookstore on mainstreet that has just great books on the parks, disney history and design. Just great. There is the gallery store above pirates that has those "" designed shirts. The one I have is just great. Nothing at WDW even close. As a matter of fact, when we were loading for Everest an operator noticed my shirt and very happily said, I love your shirt, I am from Santa Barabara and I.. know.. where.. you.. got.. that, in a sing song voice. I said, "anything like this here?, she scrunched her nose and said, "No" in a sorry voice, and then pushed the button and we were away. A nice moment

timoteo

Original Poster
Yes. I actually bought a second set of shirts from E-bay. But isn't sad that there is so much square footage at WDW devoted to mechandise and shopping and looking at stuff is kinnda fun. Access to their shops what you are partly paying for... but its crap. And not just 80% crap 10% good but 99% crap. I want to be able to go to WDW and say I have 30 minutes till my fast pass comes due.. let me wander in here. They have taken that part of my vacation away so to speak.

figment1985

I totally agree, when I saw the women's new YOMD shirts, I couldn't believe how poorly made they were. Plus they were in like light pink??? Ew! I ended up buying a small men's shirt, which was MUCH nicer!!!!!

I buy disney stuff on ebay too, also on disneyoutlets, I tend to find better stuff there. It's just the excitement of buying things at Disney World, you know! ;)

Ausdaddy

I agree on the point about the merchandise. It drives me crazy when I can't find WDW or DLR specific merchandise and it just says "Disney Parks." I had business trips to both Orlando and Anaheim recently and did some shopping. I came home with very little because of that.

On the flip side, I like shopping there because service after the sale is great. If I bring something home and it's damaged or broken (usually toys for the kids), I can call them and they will ship me a new one. Very nice.

bluejayx

about rides i thought that the peter pan flight at Disney world was much better then the one at Disneyland. Disney world peter pan seem to have much more to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom