Memories of DHS / MGM

dgp602

Original Poster
Since it hit me that the closing of a very large section of the park begins in a couple of days, I found myself going back through some old photo albums of my past trips. And I realized, although the park lacked major rides and attractions, it really was a cool place to visit. The younger members of these boards probably find it hard to believe that some classic Disney animations actually were created in what are now abandoned parts of the studios ( Mulan, Lilo and Stich ). So, I thought a thread of old memories and trip photos from MGM and DHS might be cool thing to have to distract us from the speculation and anticipation of what this park might transform into...

To start, I found this cool 20 minute video tour of DHS on YouTube. It was filmed a few weeks ago, but really sparks some fond memories of what this park truly was when it opened. It's called " Goodbye Disney MGM Studios : SECRETS and Hidden Memories" Enjoy!

Homer fan

One of my memories visiting as a kid, for some reason, was following Roger Rabbit's footsteps coming of the BLT. Maybe because it is one of my favorite movies, but that sticks out to me.

When it comes to my favorite park, I would say the look and feel of DHS is my favorite. Luckily, the part I like the most is staying (Hollywood and sunset)...but there are other parts that still give the park a comforting feel that will now be gone (writers stop, SOA)...lets just hope what takes its place will still be great

Herbie

I was hoping to visit this Saturday to hopefully be one of the last people at the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground... I couldn't love that film and area more... The weather is predicted to be iffy, so there's a doubt that'll actually happen... If anyone is going to be there on that day, do me a solid and try and stay there til closing, hopefully with a camera in hand... I've never experienced an attraction closing, and I'm more disappointed to see the playground go than I am Lights Motors Action... Of course, I'm disappointed about Streets of America as well.

Damn rain. Really hoping it doesn't force LMA and the playground to close early. :|

Thessair

I went there on a family vacation at Christmas in '89. It was quite cold and rainy, but I remember one day being at MGM just wandering around while my parents were doing other things. I made it over by Star Tours, which I thought wasn't supposed to be open (no internet fan sites with the scoop in those days) when I found it open, but almost empty. I think I rode that thing ten or so goes in a row. Fun times.

surfsupdon

My favorite runDisney memories are always running thru this park. The Tower course that zig zagged throughout the entire park and the late night afterparty were great. Then Wine&Dine's course running under the Osborne Lights was always the biggest WOW moment.

I, too, am glad that Hollywood and Sunset seem to be staying put, as I love those areas.

brb1006

I remember when I first visit Hollywood Studios (Then MGM) back in 2004 my parents recorded me standing in front of the and they told my Lilo and Stitch was passing me. I watched the video and they walked right behind me without out any notice. Talk about a missed opportunity to meet the duo.

Another good memory was when I first saw the Stars and Motor Cars Parade in 2006 and since I was the closest behind the rope. When the Toy Story car was arriving Bo Peep walked up to me and blew a kiss right at me as she passed by. I will never forget that memory for as long as I live.

SteamboatJoe

- Doing the backlot tour during my family's first trip, especially Catastrophe Canyon, seeing Ernest's house from Ernest Saves Christmas, and getting to see the Ninja Turtles drive by in the Turtle Van. I think this was the second generation of the tour. I think we also have a picture somewhere of my brother pretending to be handcuffed against a NYPD cruiser on SOA.
- Being completely amazed by the The Magic of Disney Animation. I was really big into drawing and at one point had dreams of becoming a Disney animator or comic strip artists. Life didn't turn out that way.
-Experiencing Star Tours, The Great Movie Ride, Muppets 3D, the Indiana Spectacular Stun Show, and The Monster Sound Show
-Playing around on the Honey, I Shurnk the Kids playground
-Vincent Price narrating Sorcery in the Sky

-2 kids of the family we went with getting picked to do the special effects demonstration in the backlot tour
-One of the aforementioned kids giving Dopey an unexpected (and I'm sure unwelcomed) running bear hug
-Some sort of special event on Sunset Boulevard that included a special performance of Beauty and the Beast, the ability to ride Tower of Terror with pretty much no wait over and over again, and a DJ (possibly extra time or special event in this section as part of a corporate vacation package at the time...we were on vacation with my dad's company)
-The Toy Story parade
-Eating pizza at Pizza Planet

Early 2000's
-Riding the Rock n' Roller Coaster for the first time. Someone gave us their fast pass tickets they couldn't use.

-Finally getting to see Fantasmic!
-Getting to see the Osborne Family X-Mas Lights

To this day, I still call it MGM.

wdwfan4ver

I have memories of Disney MGM Studies dating back from my first WDW trip back in the early 1990's that my Mom won.

I remembered seeing pictures on the wall at the Brown Derby while I ate there. I remembered seeing Muppetvision 3-d, Indiana Jones, Backlot Tour, The original version of the Studio backlot tour, The Great Movie Ride Monster Sound Stage during my first visit along with seeing Sorcery in the Sky Fireworks at Night. I can't remember if I did Star Tours during my first trip or not.

I did not forgot about TOT on my trip because it didn't even exist yet or Beauty and the Beast live on Stage for that matter.

Doug Means

Since it hit me that the closing of a very large section of the park begins in a couple of days, I found myself going back through some old photo albums of my past trips. And I realized, although the park lacked major rides and attractions, it really was a cool place to visit. The younger members of these boards probably find it hard to believe that some classic Disney animations actually were created in what are now abandoned parts of the studios ( Mulan, Lilo and Stich ). So, I thought a thread of old memories and trip photos from MGM and DHS might be cool thing to have to distract us from the speculation and anticipation of what this park might transform into...

To start, I found this cool 20 minute video tour of DHS on YouTube. It was filmed a few weeks ago, but really sparks some fond memories of what this park truly was when it opened. It's called " Goodbye Disney MGM Studios : SECRETS and Hidden Memories" Enjoy!

nice! well done! i am very nostalgic, and enjoyed this a lot. I am one to look at old pics and vid of the places I've been and loved MGM and Hollywood studios - with the Hat! but i am also one to embrace change and like most of what i am hearing for the park. well done video, again!

Doug Means

MGM.jpg

Me and my daughter HS 2002 (2 years old) and 2014 - my family has grown up visiting WDW and love it all

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom