"Memorandum of Understanding" Exempt Facilities Report (Health/Accident Issues)

LSLS

This is interesting cause I thought someone had mentioned there were multiple issues with people falling down the stairs at Cosmic Rewind. Guess nothing serious enough to report (well, one was, but that would be Q3).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If the person required outside medical attention.

I thought they were only required to report injuries that resulted in hospitalization?

Found this..

(15) REPORTING AND INVESTIGATION OF ACCIDENTS AND DEFECTS; IMPOUNDMENTS.—
(a) Any accident of which the owner or manager has knowledge or, through the exercise of reasonable diligence should have knowledge, and for which a patron is transported to a hospital, as defined in chapter 395, must be reported by the owner or manager to the department by telephone within 4 hours after the occurrence of the accident and must be followed up by a written report to the department within 24 hours after the occurrence of the accident.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I thought they were only required to report injuries that resulted in hospitalization?

Found this..

(15) REPORTING AND INVESTIGATION OF ACCIDENTS AND DEFECTS; IMPOUNDMENTS.—
(a) Any accident of which the owner or manager has knowledge or, through the exercise of reasonable diligence should have knowledge, and for which a patron is transported to a hospital, as defined in chapter 395, must be reported by the owner or manager to the department by telephone within 4 hours after the occurrence of the accident and must be followed up by a written report to the department within 24 hours after the occurrence of the accident.
That's kinda what I meant. They go to a hospital, emergency room, or urgent car facility... outside medical attention.

brettf22

Premium Member
That's kinda what I meant. They go to a hospital, emergency room, or urgent car facility... outside medical attention.
Back in Jan 2007, my son broke his leg on a slide in the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. After we headed to guest services, CMs called an ambulance to take him to the hospital. While this list goes back to 2002, our incident does not appear to be reflected in this document. Which is kinda disappointing. Having an official government record would be a hoot. 😊
10BEFF66-6639-483D-9EB4-FD6896672D5D.jpeg

F2519EFF-CA1E-4658-AFB5-C49270A1EBEF.jpeg

Comped

Elderly people tend to not be able to conduct themselves all that well on moving walkways common to omni-movers. It's why HM injured so many people historically, and probably why a fair few of the more benign attractions caused injury here. There are a few I'll be interested in seeing if they get reported next time this report gets updated... like the guy who tore his retina on Guardians.

JoeCamel

Elderly people tend to not be able to conduct themselves all that well on moving walkways common to omni-movers. It's why HM injured so many people historically, and probably why a fair few of the more benign attractions caused injury here. There are a few I'll be interested in seeing if they get reported next time this report gets updated... like the guy who tore his retina on Guardians.
I once fell off the slidewalk at Universal and went to the hospital...I get AARP and Medicare mail so I fit the demo.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Back in Jan 2007, my son broke his leg on a slide in the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. After we headed to guest services, CMs called an ambulance to take him to the hospital. While this list goes back to 2002, our incident does not appear to be reflected in this document. Which is kinda disappointing. Having an official government record would be a hoot. 😊
View attachment 664942

View attachment 664943
HIStK isn't a "ride."

People are free to create unsafe playgrounds without state supervision!!

brettf22

Premium Member
HIStK isn't a "ride."

People are free to create unsafe playgrounds without state supervision!!
I wonder what the “exempt facility” definition is, and if it has changed over time. Obviously this list doesn’t report every single incident at the parks, or I’m guessing it would be quite lengthy. But seeing there are entries for other play areas (such as Universal’s “If I Ran the Zoo” and Busch’s “Fabian’s Funport”) I wonder what the inclusion criteria is. I’m guessing discrepancies have something to do with the paragraph at the beginning that states the document “reflects only the information reported.” I’m guessing not everything gets reported.

OrlandoRising

I wonder what the “exempt facility” definition is, and if it has changed over time.

The definition is "Permanent facilities that employ at least 1,000 full-time employees and that maintain full-time, in-house safety inspector." http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ute&URL=0600-0699/0616/Sections/0616.242.html

So large Florida attractions like Disney and Universal are exempt, but the likes of Fun Spot or the rides at Icon Park are not.
You're correct that not everything gets reported and the state relies on the park's initial description of the injury. This has resulted in some dramatic underselling at times; when a 11-year-old boy got his leg caught between the exit platform and ride vehicle on E.T. Adventure in 2019, it was listed under the report as "foot pain." The actual injury, according to employees, was more like his foot and leg had multiple fractures.

Only injuries that require a hospital stay of 24 hours or more, or fatalities, are required to be reported.

Last edited:

Touchdown

I'm not trying to undersell the severity of a broken hip, but that mortality rate likely reflects other factors, comorbidities, etc., including ones that put the person at a greater mortality risk AND a greater risk of hip fracture independently, like a cognitive disorder. Cancer mortality rates are more likely to be directly attributable to the cancer.
It’s due to how the fracture destroys your mobility, puts you into prolonged contact with health care (rehab/nursing home) and affects your mood.

esskay

I have no problem with the Safari being bumpy, but I do think the original storyline is at least part of the reason for it, since it wasn't originally just "casually drive through and look at animals".

I personally think the current version is better than the one with a storyline, even though I'd feel the opposite on essentially any other Disney attraction and I liked what they were trying to do with the story. It just detracted from the living animals too much; they felt like set dressing.
Not many people saw or know of the actual original story. The one that was played for years was a rushed and extremely watered down version. The original had a real message to it.

UNCgolf

Not many people saw or know of the actual original story. The one that was played for years was a rushed and extremely watered down version. The original had a real message to it.

I'm pretty sure the original version ran for nearly a decade -- regardless, I saw the original in the early years of the park.

The idea of the story was a good one (anti-poaching), but the ride is better without it. It took too much attention away from the actual animals.

JoeCamel

I'm pretty sure the original version ran for nearly a decade -- regardless, I saw the original in the early years of the park.

The idea of the story was a good one (anti-poaching), but the ride is better without it. It took too much attention away from the actual animals.
In the beginning they had less animals and less displays built so maybe it was a good thing for poachers to be running around. In any case I liked putting a bit of a story to it rather than just driving around looking at animals like any safari park.

UNCgolf

In the beginning they had less animals and less displays built so maybe it was a good thing for poachers to be running around. In any case I liked putting a bit of a story to it rather than just driving around looking at animals like any safari park.

Eh, I don't think it's comparable to any (or at least most) other safari park. Most of them just have animals out in a field (and are often terrible places for the animals). The Animal Kingdom one is actually pretty highly themed and attempts to be closer to their natural environment.

I was opposed to the idea of removing the story, but now I think it's a much better experience without it -- which is probably partially due to the additional animals, as you mentioned.

Last edited:

Comped

So large Florida attractions like Disney and Universal are exempt, but the likes of Fun Spot or the rides at Icon Park are not.
Only injuries that require a hospital stay of 24 hours or more, or fatalities, are required to be reported.
Which is likely why @brettf22's son's injury was not listed in the report - his injury did not require a hospital stay of 24 hours or more. Even though I do think it's a stupid rule, because it can seriously undermine serious injuries that do not require a hospital stay or at least a day, but also don't kill you...

Fun Spot actually has a pretty damn good safety record, as much as Icon has not. I know one of their owners, and post-Icon-fatality, Fun Spot has massively ramped up employee training on how to prevent guest injury or death on their rides. Just to be safe. But of the three major park operators in FL, hands down Universal has the best safety standards (and also a better disability access policy, but that's a bit subjective). Many of thier standards on both fronts have been adopted by other parks, including Disney, and the industry is better for it. Disney, not so much, unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom