Trip Report Melting! Wilderness Lodge in August

Hi friends!

We left the World a week ago, and spent a few days in St. Pete before getting back home Wednesday. I brought a nice little head cold back with me, so I've been lazy. I got all my pictures edited, so here we gooooooo!

Cast: Me & R (29 & 28)
Resort: Wilderness Lodge, standard view
Dates: August 9-13
Why?: R had a work trip from the 13-16th so we tacked on a WDW trip!

This trip was the first time we hired someone to come house/dog sit instead of taking Chipper to a family member's house. One of my student photographers stayed with him, and it went well (as far as I know...he is still alive and acting normal, so). This was right before we headed out to the airport.

I'm sure he didn't miss me making him take pictures.

We left the house at about 9:30am to head to Memphis. Our flight got delayed a bit. It was good because it gave us time to stop and get gas before we got to the airport (better than getting it when we're anxious to get home on the way back). We took off at 12:55. I was a little worried about making out Flight of Passage FP that evening, but I had my fingers crossed!

Flight was a little bumpy, but thankfully on time. We had our room text when we landed! Woot!

There was almost NO ONE at the Magical Express line, so I was worried there wouldn't be many busses. It took about 20 minutes to get on one and get going, so that's not terrible.

On our way!

We made it!

It rained all the way there, but it stopped by the time we arrived. We got there at 5:30 and headed to the room.

The room was nice enough. It wasn't spectacular, but we liked it! The best part was that we could see the castle from the balcony!

It's itty bitty in the picture, but it was a nice view! Unfortunately, we never got to watch the fireworks from the room. We almost made it the last night, but the bus was too slow (a theme on this trip).

The balcony was so tiny, and there was some kind of a truck bay outside so it was loud. I didn't spend much time out there because of those things and the heat, but it was still a cool view :)

Up next: Will we make FoP?

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Day 1!

So we had a little bit of an issue here. I got down to the lobby and saw the big pin board and realized I left my pins in the room, so I ran back up and got them. When we made it out to the bus stop, an AK bus was pulling away. So of course it was my fault we missed it since I was the one who wanted to go back to the room and get my pins :rolleyes:

So I said, "hey let's take a Lyft." And R is weirdly against doing that. He thinks it's a waste of money, but I try to tell him that time is valuable to me, and also I hate Disney busses. So anyway, we argued a little, and I finally just said whatever, I'm taking a Lyft, you do what you want. Of course he followed me and we both took the Lyft. It was a pleasant ride. Our driver was super friendly and had an iphone charger, peppermints, hand sanitizer, etc. for us to use. We got there about 20 minutes before the FP window opened, yay! Thanks Lyft!

All smiles. We get over arguments pretty quickly.

We headed straight for Pandora. I was pumped to see it! It was dreary out, so my photos are pretty blah...

This thing is so weird... it's interesting, but super weird.

We hit up Satu'li Canteen for some food. We had dinner reservations later, but we hadn't eaten much and just needed a snack.

R and I have differing taste in food, so we had to compromise a little to share this. He conceded to let me get the potato hash if he could get the beef. So that's what we did! With the chimichurri sauce. It was DELICIOUS! Holy moly! I think the potato hash added a lot, so I would definitely want to get that again.

We headed over to FoP after our snack.

I am on board with what everyone else has said, FoP was AMAZING! It's quite an achievement for the imagineers. The whole land is, really. It's beautiful! R and I watched Avatar before our trip, so we had some context. That probably helped us enjoy it more! I do think you should watch it before you go. It's just cool to see it virtually before seeing it in person. They really did bring the movie to life with the land. The movie is terrible, but it's cool to look at :D

I wish we could have done FoP again this trip, but I was not interested in waiting 3 hours.

Up Next: More AK

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Day 1 (more)

We checked out a little more of Pandora on the way out, including Wind Traders. Didn't buy anything, but we enjoyed looking!

I had a drink to try!

The Night Blossom was so delicious! It was really refreshing on this hot day. I did think it was super sweet, but not in a bad way. I will definitely be getting this again. R got the green ale stuff and he liked it!

We stopped for a FP in Pandora and I LOVED how they turned out. When we stepped up there, this little kid was just wandering around right in front of us, and the photographer was so confused. We couldn't figure out who he belonged to! We finally figured out who his parents were, and his mom can and picked him up. I guess she wasn't too concerned that her toddler had wandered away! People are crazy.

So that was it for Pandora for the evening. We headed out to our next FP!

Notes from Neverland

Great pictures! Far from being "blah" or anything like it.

Also, I'm excited to follow along as we have a Wilderness Lodge trip planned here shortly, so it's nice to get a preview before we arrive for our first time at that resort!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Great pictures! Far from being "blah" or anything like it.

Also, I'm excited to follow along as we have a Wilderness Lodge trip planned here shortly, so it's nice to get a preview before we arrive for our first time at that resort!
Oh that's exciting!! We were very happy with our stay there, other than the slow bus service. It has a nice, cozy feel! I hope you love it!

Thanks for following along :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
This trip was the first time we hired someone to come house/dog sit instead of taking Chipper to a family member's house. One of my student photographers stayed with him, and it went well (as far as I know...he is still alive and acting normal, so). This was right before we headed out to the airport.

Awww . . . but, just think of the happy reunion when you come home and he sees you!!

Glad you're at Wilderness Lodge--such a lovely hotel. Enjoy!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Omg yay! So excited for this TR, following along :geek:
Hopefully it'll keep you occupied until your trip! You'll be there sooooo soon!

Following along.
Welcome aboard!

Following along! Wilderness lodge is one of our favourite hotels to stay at. Love all the pandora pictures!
Thank you! It's an amazing resort for sure.

I'm in! Can't wait to hear about it!
Thanks for joining in!

After seeing the beautiful engagement photos you took for @blgauger I knew that I'd enjoy following your TR. Your photos are amazing!
Aww thanks!

Awww . . . but, just think of the happy reunion when you come home and he sees you!!

Glad you're at Wilderness Lodge--such a lovely hotel. Enjoy!
We're home now! But yes it was quite a happy reunion. Chipper makes all kinds of crazy howling, barking, whining noises when we come back from vacation. He's a nut.

great pics! looking forward to more thoughts on wilderness lodge.
Thanks for following along!

Loooove the Wilderness Lodge! We are still in the process of trying different resorts, but I have a strong feeling that will always be my fave.

Also, love the photos, and the photo pass photos in Pandora!
We're the same way, we enjoy trying new places. I don't think we've repeated a resort yet. Wilderness Lodge is definitely up there on the list!

I really want to stay at Wilderness Lodge, my wife doesn't think it's worth it. She loves the Epcot resorts since we can walk to 2 parks, can't say I blame her. WL just looks amazing to me.
It's just a lot different! We love the Epcot resorts too, especially during food & wine. I think it's worth trying, even for a short trip! It's beautiful there.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
More Day 1

We headed over to Everest for one last ride before leaving for dinner.

As you can see, it was still rainy and dreary. The clouds would clear a little hear and there, but it was mostly cloudy.

It was an awesome ride, as usual! My weird double-jointed arm ruined our ride picture....but oh well. I think it's funny :p

I traded a couple of pins while we were there, so good thing I got my pins from the room, right?! :joyfull:

The sky looked really cool on the walk out. I took another one on my phone when we got to the bus stop and it had turned pink.

I made Rhett stop and take a couple pictures of my outfit since I was wearing one of the shirts I made.

My pins from Parkbound (caseyandthebear on Instagram). I love Donald, so I had to buy these!

Turning colors!

We hopped on a bus almost immediately, and the bottom fell out on our ride over. Good timing! It was back down to a mist by the time we got to our destination.

Know where we are?

How about now?

The Poly! We were finally trying out 'Ohana!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
We were early so we spent some time at the Tambu Lounge because R didn't think we should check in early. I thought it would be fine, but I waited until about 5 minutes before our reservation. We were seated 10 minutes later, right in the middle of Happily Ever After. Wish we'd been seated at the beginning!

We got to watch the last bit from this awesome table, and it was nice. Unfortunately, this was all we'd see of Happily Ever After during this trip. Maybe next time!

Soon our food arrived.

Wondering why I'm taking a picture of him eating. Can't say I blame him...I get delirious late at night :joyfull:

The salad was delicious! I also really liked the pot stickers. I think I ate more of those than anything. The noodles were just ok. The chicken was amazing too! I wish I could have eaten more. I wanted to save room for dessert though.

The bread pudding was everything I hoped it would be! Soooooo good. R wasn't as big a fan as I was, but that was fine...more for me!

We finished up our meal and headed out. We were tired! I was giggling at the tiki butt on the way out.

Played around with my camera on the boat back (we monorailed to MK and got on a boat)

Got back to the room and admired the view again before hitting the bed.

It was a great start to the trip!

Up next: day 2

DisneyGigi

More Day 1

We headed over to Everest for one last ride before leaving for dinner.

As you can see, it was still rainy and dreary. The clouds would clear a little hear and there, but it was mostly cloudy.

It was an awesome ride, as usual! My weird double-jointed arm ruined our ride picture....but oh well. I think it's funny :p

I traded a couple of pins while we were there, so good thing I got my pins from the room, right?! :joyfull:

The sky looked really cool on the walk out. I took another one on my phone when we got to the bus stop and it had turned pink.

I made Rhett stop and take a couple pictures of my outfit since I was wearing one of the shirts I made.

My pins from Parkbound (caseyandthebear on Instagram). I love Donald, so I had to buy these!

Turning colors!

We hopped on a bus almost immediately, and the bottom fell out on our ride over. Good timing! It was back down to a mist by the time we got to our destination.

Know where we are?

How about now?

The Poly! We were finally trying out 'Ohana!

I so giggled ar your double jointed comment! My dad passed that down to every single one of us, even great grandkids! My arms always look the same way in ride photos lol I love it! So much easier to reach things I always tell people. :p Enjoying your report, great photos of Pandora!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom