Meg Crofton Retiring in 2015

TP2000

Interesting news. She seems like a genuinely nice lady. Unfortunately, she was in the wrong role.

Meg Crofton seems similar to former DLR Prez Cynthia Harriss, except without the dead park Guests and maimed Cast Members that Cynthia had in her last 30 days on the job before she suddenly resigned "to spend more time with family".

Meg Crofton should have stayed in HR, or some other vaguely corporate exec in charge of batallions of cubicle drones who don't actually work in theme parks who have to - gasp! - interact with paying customers out in theme parks or hotels.

Someone in charge of Disney Theme Park Operations should be a... wait for it... theme park operator. Not an administrator or white collar General to the cubicle drones in satellite office buildings who could all be doing the same boring white collar work for General Motors or Proctor&Gamble or Amazon.com or Boeing or Macy's. (All of those are wonderful American companies to be proud of, but I think you get the point.)

That said, I'm sure Meg has a fabulous golden parachute and I wish her well in her Northern California retirement.

Last edited:

Kman101

So is this a true retirement of her doing or is this their typical "retirement" (basically forced out but in the pleasant Disney way of "spending more time with family").

And if it's for health reasons, I wish her well.

wdwfan4ver

Technically, he reports to Jim, who reports to George, who reports to Meg....
Not at the time the Space Mountain Refurbishment happened. George wasn't change of Walt Disney World in 2009 when The Space Mountain refurbishment happened. Meg was in change of WDW up to early part of 2013.

Al Weiss was the president of worldwide operations for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts back in 2009.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

This move has absolutely no effect on Walt Disney World or the parks whatsoever.

Everything is run out of Tom Staggs' office anymore. The only thing a vice president in charge of whatever theme park or whatever resort… Their responsibility is solely to make their numbers. Anything regarding expansion sore capital expenditures? That's all Glendale and Tommy.

JohnD

You can argue about the quality of work in her most recent role at WDW if you like. As someone who works in a Division of Retirement, I can appreciate her 35 years of service to WDC. She was going to retire at the end of her service regardless of which role she held last. I'm sure she earned it. I wish her well and hope she enjoys her retirement.

JohnD

The gutting of entertainment and dining at WDW goes a long way toward explaining the dislike shown Ms Crofton.

Can you explain? Not looking for an argument. I didn't get reacquainted with WDW until last year after being away for more than 20 years which would be a good portion of her tenure. So, I'm in no position to argue another viewpoint, if there is one, anyway.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Can you explain? Not looking for an argument. I didn't get reacquainted with WDW until last year after being away for more than 20 years which would be a good portion of her tenure. So, I'm in no position to argue another viewpoint, if there is one, anyway.

I'd recommend a re-read of this thread - basically she was in charge of the budget cutting at P&R at multiple levels of WDW and TWDC management.

wedway71

I too wonder who will replace Meg. I would think George K. would be a sure fit since he has such a diverse and long history starting at WDW.

lazyboy97o

This move has absolutely no effect on Walt Disney World or the parks whatsoever.

Everything is run out of Tom Staggs' office anymore. The only thing a vice president in charge of whatever theme park or whatever resort… Their responsibility is solely to make their numbers. Anything regarding expansion sore capital expenditures? That's all Glendale and Tommy.
Just because Staggs gets the big say does not mean those below cannot fight for their areas of responsibility.

Next Big Thing

I too wonder who will replace Meg. I would think George K. would be a sure fit since he has such a diverse and long history starting at WDW.
I honestly doubt anyone will "replace" her. It was an unnecessary position created specially for her. DLR, WDW and DLP all need different things and to have one person overseeing all 3 resorts as she was seems very unnecessary and it likely helps contribute to a lesser product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom