Meet the World (Japan Attraction) at Epcot

LongballMG

Original Poster
Insomnia brings about a question about the Meet the World attraction. I'm aware that the huge show building was built at Epcot for this attraction that was never installed.

Does anyone know why (besides money) the attraction wasn't brought to Epcot after it closed at Tokyo Disneyland?

If the show building was already there, it would have probably only required minor modifications to get it show ready. Was this ever considered?

Communicore

Another discussion about the show building! I am most fascinated by it and regretted that I was unable to "trespass" in there when I was a CM.

Bravo 229

Insomnia brings about a question about the Meet the World attraction. I'm aware that the huge show building was built at Epcot for this attraction that was never installed.

Does anyone know why (besides money) the attraction wasn't brought to Epcot after it closed at Tokyo Disneyland?

If the show building was already there, it would have probably only required minor modifications to get it show ready. Was this ever considered?

If you watch Martins Japan Pavilion vid, I believe it talks about this...I can't remember off the top of my head what the reasons were, but thats a good resource worth checking out!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The reason I was given by someone in the know quite a while ago was the show building dimensions were messed up. Beams went in where they shouldn`t have. It was too late and too costly for a park over budget and running late to fix until a later date, which like Rhine River never came as targets and plans changed direction.

Lee

Adventurer
Then there is the problem with glossing over the whole Pearl Harbor/WW2 thing. Hard to leave it out, but makes it kinda awkward with their WS neighbor. (I always giggle when the radio in American Adv. fades out just before naming Japan as attacking Pearl.

Prototype82

Disney claimed it didn't make the cut at Epcot because the WWII overview would anger American Veterans when in actuality they could have taken the time to rewrite or switch the theme from Japanese history to Japanese culture. They didn't think it would make extra cash so they didn't deem it important to spend the extra money on. That's the only reason why the pavilions are at a standstill. But excluding money like you said, it's because of the WWII segment.

LongballMG

Original Poster
the show closed in 2002 in Japan. Surely they could have found a way around these issues in the 2000s? No?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Watching the show nowerdays it is a surprise it lasted as long as it did.

It just doesn`t work in the 21st century.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom