Mears Transfer from Disney to Universal

Cmdr_Crimson

Has anyone done this? I'm looking at staying at WDW For a week and a half only to be transferred to Universal for the last half of the week. Is it better to book it online and when I arrive at MCO to go to Disney should I stop at Mears to get the pickup orders that I ordered before I board DME that I would need later on after I leave WDW to go to Universal?

Or would this be a better way to do Universal First and then WDW Afterwards and would they still allow me to book a DME bus ride back to MCO if I didn't have a round trip?

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

First, you can always take DME one-way (to/from airport to your hotel), so long as it's the same day as your arrival/departure day from WDW. For example, when we did a split stay, we took a private towncar from MCO to our Universal hotel ($75 for our family of 4, including gratuity). A few days later, we took an Uber/Lyft XL from our Universal hotel to our Disney hotel (around $25 with gratuity, I think). At the end of the week, we took DME from our Disney hotel to the airport. You can just as easily do it the other way, though (DME transportation to Disney at the beginning of your vacation). To set up your DME transportation, you can call Disney to add it to your reservation, or use this form: https://secure.reservations.disney.go.com/ibcwdw/en_US/dme/dmeform

As far as when to pick up Mears "orders," I don't know but I'm sure Mears would tell you.

If you haven't already booked your Mears transportation or can still get out of it, my recommendation would be to use a rideshare or private towncar/limo service instead when you travel from the airport to Universal and/or between Universal and WDW. At least price it out on the towncar/limo websites and rideshare fare estimators: it may be significantly less expensive, and in the case of a rideshare, can be arranged in minutes, without you having to be beholden to a scheduled pick-up time. As for private towncars, we've had good service with Orlando Airport Towncar Service (https://www.orlandoairporttowncar.com/) and Orlando Limo Tours (http://orlandolimotours.com/), both of which run $60+ gratuity for a one-way transfer between MCO and Universal. Happy Limo (http://happylimo.com/), a sponsor of this forum, also gets consistently good reviews.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
First, you can always take DME one-way (to/from airport to your hotel), so long as it's the same day as your arrival/departure day from WDW. For example, when we did a split stay, we took a private towncar from MCO to our Universal hotel ($75 for our family of 4, including gratuity). A few days later, we took an Uber/Lyft XL from our Universal hotel to our Disney hotel (around $25 with gratuity, I think). At the end of the week, we took DME from our Disney hotel to the airport. You can just as easily do it the other way, though (DME transportation to Disney at the beginning of your vacation). To set up your DME transportation, you can call Disney to add it to your reservation, or use this form: https://secure.reservations.disney.go.com/ibcwdw/en_US/dme/dmeform

As far as when to pick up Mears "orders," I don't know but I'm sure Mears would tell you.

If you haven't already booked your Mears transportation or can still get out of it, my recommendation would be to use a rideshare or private towncar/limo service instead when you travel from the airport to Universal and/or between Universal and WDW. At least price it out on the towncar/limo websites and rideshare fare estimators: it may be significantly less expensive, and in the case of a rideshare, can be arranged in minutes, without you having to be beholden to a scheduled pick-up time. As for private towncars, we've had good service with Orlando Airport Towncar Service (https://www.orlandoairporttowncar.com/) and Orlando Limo Tours (http://orlandolimotours.com/), both of which run $60+ gratuity for a one-way transfer between MCO and Universal. Happy Limo (http://happylimo.com/), a sponsor of this forum, also gets consistently good reviews.
Well, I'm just at planning stages right now since I'm looking at 2020 for this. Plus I'm a solo traveler for my trips so there is no big rush..But, it's best to figure out a plan..😁

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Well, I'm just at planning stages right now since I'm looking at 2020 for this. Plus I'm a solo traveler for my trips so there is no big rush..But, it's best to figure out a plan..😁

I see! Traveling solo, the math will probably be a bit different (and the planning quite a bit less complicated). It's never too early to start, though, and I think the planning is nearly as much as fun as the vacation itself. Have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

SteamboatJoe

I used Mears a few years ago to go to Universal, Sea World, and Discovery Cove during my honeymoon. Had no complaints. No idea if they are the most cost efficient option as I really wasn't concerned enough about it to price shop. I prescheduled most if not all of our rides using my phone. Some of the business oriented resorts might even have them on standby at times. At Coronado I remember a CM at the front door waving one over from a designated parking spot when I told him I was using them. IIRC Mears has it's own designated stand at Universal. We had to leave US early due to illness and had no problem getting a ride on the spot back to Coronado Springs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

My husband and I were going to Universal for one day, so we asked concierge to book us a trip for the next day at 7am. We were there when she called and talked with Mears and booked it. We thought all was okay, but we were wrong! The next morning, we waited outside the resort from 6:45am to 7:30am with no sign of Mears. We wanted to go that early so we could be at Universal at rope drop since we only had one day. We finally asked bell services to call us a taxi, which came in 30 seconds (they were parked across the street).
I don't know if that was not normal or not? But we now only use a taxi when we go to Universal while at Disney. We don't use Uber because we don't have a smart phone. Never had a problem with the taxi's at all. There are several lined up at Universal for the trip home.
We will never try to use Mears again.

Upvote 0

Herdman

We've used Quicksilver for transportation back and forth from WDW with no issues whatsoever. We did find though after the first time that it was just as efficient to catch a taxi back from Universal. Now when we do this we just use Quicksilver for the trip over in the morning.

Upvote 0

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster

I see! Traveling solo, the math will probably be a bit different (and the planning quite a bit less complicated). It's never too early to start, though, and I think the planning is nearly as much as fun as the vacation itself. Have a wonderful trip.

Thanks for the help..From what I have seen on Mears site they do have Hotel to Hotel Transfers Which is fine for me as I had mentioned I do go solo on my trips (I'm still not use to Uber or Taxi's) In the past when I had stayed just at Universal before I had left MCO to get my shuttle I had to go the Mears desk and show them my printout and they would scan it in Printing out the 2 passes (Roundtrip). Since I've decided to start my trip in WDW I'm taking DME one-way and before I get on I would have to stop at the Mears desk to get my Roundtrip pass for use later on when I need to call them for the pickup time to arrive at Disney to Transfer to Universal.....Since I'm in no hurry to jump to parks it's going to be easier for me when I head out when I transfer..

Upvote 0

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Has anyone used a Luxury Sedan to be transfered to another Hotel? I want to just get to the other hotel without the hassle of Taxi's & again I'm not a fan of Uber or Taxi's...I tried to see about just a shuttle from Super Shuttle but, it cost more than a Mears Luxury Sedan to go from Pop Century to Cabana Bay...

Upvote 0

Disney4family

We just used the public bus system - the Lynx - when we popped over to Sea World a few years ago. It cost $12 round-trip for a family of four. We picked it up at the TTC. The driver stopped at the bus stop right next to the Sea World parking lot. We got off at Downtown Disney (wasn't DS yet) for dinner that evening.
Easy and affordable.

Upvote 0

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
We just used the public bus system - the Lynx - when we popped over to Sea World a few years ago. It cost $12 round-trip for a family of four. We picked it up at the TTC. The driver stopped at the bus stop right next to the Sea World parking lot. We got off at Downtown Disney (wasn't DS yet) for dinner that evening.
Easy and affordable.
Yes but, I'm leaving my Disney Hotel as I'm starting the second leg of my trip at Universal. I Just need a shuttle to take me there....And I have no clue how trustworthy the Mears taxi's are..

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Yes but, I'm leaving my Disney Hotel as I'm starting the second leg of my trip at Universal. I Just need a shuttle to take me there....And I have no clue how trustworthy the Mears taxi's are..

Pretty sure they have a fare estimator on their website. Mears is the 800lb gorilla in the area, so most of the cabs are theirs. And Uber/Lyft should show you the cost up front. In either case large deviations off that price you can usually complain to mgmt and get it taken care of. Obviously with a taxi traffic delays would impact the fare, but you can't control that.

Upvote 0

Dave B

Easy and affordable.
Just curious how much time did that take you, an hour or two? Waiting for the busses, time to travel, etc...

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

OP, my husband and I went to Universal from WDW, and we booked a Mears transport the night before. They did not show the next morning causing us to be late for opening at Universal. We ended up calling a cab and had no problem at all. We used a cab to return to WDW. We won't try Mears again, but we seem to be the exception to Mears transportation, so who knows?????

Upvote 0

Disney4family

Just curious how much time did that take you, an hour or two? Waiting for the busses, time to travel, etc...
Honestly, not long at all. The bus was there at the TTC. 20 min or so later we were at Sea World. When we were ready to leave, we figured out our next bus back and walked over to the bus stop. I believe there's a bus there every 20 min. We didn't wait long.
We've done it twice and I would do it again.

Upvote 0

Disney4family

We use the Mears taxis on property instead of Uber, Lyft or Minnie Vans. The resort calls them for us. We've been very happy. The prices are low and the drivers have been fast, polite and professional. We haven't used them to go off property. I would assume the drivers are all the same, but I'm sure others would know better.
Good luck finding something that works for you and have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

SaltyD

Has anyone done this? I'm looking at staying at WDW For a week and a half only to be transferred to Universal for the last half of the week. Is it better to book it online and when I arrive at MCO to go to Disney should I stop at Mears to get the pickup orders that I ordered before I board DME that I would need later on after I leave WDW to go to Universal?

Or would this be a better way to do Universal First and then WDW Afterwards and would they still allow me to book a DME bus ride back to MCO if I didn't have a round trip?

As long as you have a Disney resort reservation you can take DME either way, both ways or just one way. If you are concerned with going solo in a car, you could always do DME roundtrip, and once back at the airport, take Universal's SuperStar Shuttle to your Universal resort and then back again to the airport when you leave. It's a lot of back and forth but most likely peace of mind.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

We use the Mears taxis on property instead of Uber, Lyft or Minnie Vans. The resort calls them for us. We've been very happy. The prices are low and the drivers have been fast, polite and professional. We haven't used them to go off property. I would assume the drivers are all the same, but I'm sure others would know better.
Good luck finding something that works for you and have a wonderful trip!

Like I said, I think our experience was not the ordinary way Mears does business. But it was the only time we tried it and it did not work out. So, I guess we will just taxi when we need to. It seems we are the only ones on here who had a bad experience with them. When notified, they did not apologize at all,.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom