MCO does extra security screening of food in carry-on bags (missed flight/MNSSHP)

Weather_Lady

I'd still rather pack breakfast foods and snacks from home and arrive a few minutes earlier at the airport (to allow for extra screening of those items) than pay exorbitant prices for them post-security, or at WDW. The same fruit, cereals, granola bars and coffee that would cost us $20/day at Disney, can be packed in my suitcase for a cost of $20 for a week's supply. I'll gladly trade a few extra minutes in the security line if it's going to save me $120 in the long run -- in terms of Disney value, that equates to a souvenir for each person, or a TS meal!

youngdeb

A co-worker just flew back to Canada through Boston and said she had the same issue. It seems as though people are disguising drugs as candy and that's what the big issue is. If you don't have a bunch of individually wrapped candies, I'm sure it will be much quicker. She had a bunch of those small Hershey's bars and they all had to be swabbed. If she had brought the bigger bars it would've been less of an issue.

Pixieish

A co-worker just flew back to Canada through Boston and said she had the same issue. It seems as though people are disguising drugs as candy and that's what the big issue is. If you don't have a bunch of individually wrapped candies, I'm sure it will be much quicker. She had a bunch of those small Hershey's bars and they all had to be swabbed. If she had brought the bigger bars it would've been less of an issue.
Ahhhh...probably the gummy candies laced with marijuana are what triggered this. Warnings to look for gummies spread throughout our town pretty quickly especially since we have the medical dispensaries now.

Honestly MCO security is an abysmal mess. It's not laid out particularly well with way to many bottle necks then necessary. While each airport is required to handle security operations as they see fit, most play by TSA standards, MCO seems to run on their own system and it's not the most efficient.
You think MCO is bad???? Try Newark Liberty. It's the pits from all angles! I'd love to have an airport like MCO in Jersey.

jaklgreen

Maybe they can train a few more drug sniffing dogs to have around. That would be much faster then having a human swab everyone's food. A dog and pass by dozens of bags in under a minute.

sarcade

Yesterday was a delightful time at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Today I packed a full MNSSHP bag of souvenir candy in my carry-on bag. When I got in what had seemed like a brisk-moving line through security, things came to an abrupt halt. We were then told that tablets now needed to be placed in separate bins, like laptops, and that food also needed to be placed into separate bins as well. (Candy was specifically mentioned.) Removing the MNSSHP bag from my carry-on bag and placing it into a separate bin, I passed through the checkpoint and managed to collect several of my things from the conveyer belt, but my bin of MNSSHP candy had been removed and queued up with several other bins of food in a separate line, waiting for a separate inspector. I bolted and ran for the shuttle; I was already running late for my flight. By the time I got to the gate, the door had been closed, not to be reopened. I had missed my flight. I thought about taking the shuttle back to the main terminal and trying to get the bag of candy, since I'm suddenly in not much of a hurry after all (waiting for a different, much later flight). But something tells me that walking away from that bag of candy has marked that bag of candy, and possibly marked me, as Trouble.[/QUOTE

sarcade

Wow the same thing happened to me in Oct for the same reason, the family in front of me had a huge bag of candy and because of that I almost missed my flight! I fly out of Mco every year in October and have never had this happen. My bag also was pulled aside and was told by a very rude agent I had to wait my turn and didn't care I was about to miss my plane because tsa had to handle every piece of candy in that families large bag of candy!,
I'm a senior and found myself almost running to catch my flight.
the first thing i did when I got home was to get tsa approved.

dieboy

Get this, leaving MCO on the 22nd of April, friday evening. NO security bins, they were telling everyone to stuff everything in their bags .. two dogs were wandering the line, other than that .. well I guess at least it went quickly.

MCO is such a messed up airport, in more ways than security. The lay out overall is fine, but the implementation falls far short. Sometimes we have a security guard barking at us, like a drill Sargent, others, just back logs of people trying to get to their gate. Other times, we show up and its a ghost town, like walk right up, through and done.

The worst thing about it, if you get stuck at your gate, the food choices are abysmal. All the decent food is before security .. so unless you want to go through again .. your stuck with some poor options.

I do enjoy leaving on SC, as it shares gates near all the euro heavies, and its fun when we pull along side 'is this an aircraft made for ants!' comes to mind while we sit there dwarfed next to some behemoth of an airbus.

Forgot MCOs new terminal may be international only .. crud .. well there that goes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom