MCO does extra security screening of food in carry-on bags (missed flight/MNSSHP)

spacedog

Original Poster
Yesterday was a delightful time at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Today I packed a full MNSSHP bag of souvenir candy in my carry-on bag. When I got in what had seemed like a brisk-moving line through security, things came to an abrupt halt. We were then told that tablets now needed to be placed in separate bins, like laptops, and that food also needed to be placed into separate bins as well. (Candy was specifically mentioned.) Removing the MNSSHP bag from my carry-on bag and placing it into a separate bin, I passed through the checkpoint and managed to collect several of my things from the conveyer belt, but my bin of MNSSHP candy had been removed and queued up with several other bins of food in a separate line, waiting for a separate inspector. I bolted and ran for the shuttle; I was already running late for my flight. By the time I got to the gate, the door had been closed, not to be reopened. I had missed my flight. I thought about taking the shuttle back to the main terminal and trying to get the bag of candy, since I'm suddenly in not much of a hurry after all (waiting for a different, much later flight). But something tells me that walking away from that bag of candy has marked that bag of candy, and possibly marked me, as Trouble.

Wow thanks for the heads up, we always bring food with us! convenient store pretzels are way cheaper than air port pretzels but I guess I'll have to get use to paying 3 dollars for a bag lol

MickeyMomV

Wow thanks for the heads up, we always bring food with us! convenient store pretzels are way cheaper than air port pretzels but I guess I'll have to get use to paying 3 dollars for a bag lol
You can still bring food with you but as @Monty said you need to make sure you give yourself time to get past the Checkpoints which the OP does not sound like he did.

lazyboy97o

It seems that TSA is changing up the screen process throughout the day at Orlando International Airport. If you’re lucky, you’ll be there when they have the dogs out. Pretty much everything stays in your bags (laptops, food), shoes stay on and you walk right through a metal detector. It causes a bottleneck when they switch, but is very fast once it starts.

thomas998

We also experienced the extended search of our food. We had a lot of Halloween candy which was dumped into 2 different trays for the xray machine, we initially just left the candy in the bag was was told that in the future it would save time to spread it out before you even start the process.

Also we have a purchased a package of those pre-made peanut butter and cracker packages from Walmart to snack on the flight. It had never been opened prior to the trip but they made a special point of taking the box of I think 8 packets and swabbing it down for explosives. So it isn't just halloween candy they are going bonkers over.

Oh and another suggestion, we had a big bag of Disney pins and were told that because it was a bag with a high metal content it would have to go through separately like it was a laptop.

Flying is becoming such a pain I think I would rather spend an extra day each way and drive.

MickeyMomV

I know last year when were down at wdw we had put granola bars and pop tarts in one of our checked bags and because of the foil wrappers they opened and searched the bag. We had a nice little letter in the suitcase when it arrived at the hotel letting us know it was searched.

Jedi Stitch

Seeing post of people late for flights seams odd to me. It could be that Since I know I am traveling diagonally across the country from SEA to MCO I have a day of travel, so I plan out travel days. One day to get some wheres and one day to get back. Then, I see it in the trip reports that many will get up sneak extra time at the parks or st DS then head out to make the flight. If you give yourself ample time to travel, many of the TSA issues dissolve. The only time I had my baggage open up was coming back from Wisconsin where my cousin gave me two great bottle of her home made wine. Not sure if they xrayed and looked like RPG's but up they took a look and left me a nice note. I know before i opened the checked bag, because we wrap brightly colored duct tape around the bags for easier ID.

StarWarsGirl

I went through at the end of August with an unopened bag of jelly beans I had just purchased at the Earport. I had no issue, although they did ask me to take out every electronic device I had with me. Almost makes me want to pay for precheck.

Jahona

Honestly MCO security is an abysmal mess. It's not laid out particularly well with way to many bottle necks then necessary. While each airport is required to handle security operations as they see fit, most play by TSA standards, MCO seems to run on their own system and it's not the most efficient.

disney4life2008

Honestly I see this as a win for those expensive souvenir places after security. I always take snacks and candy on my carry on but if they are being strict now people are forced to spend 5 dollars for a dollar bag of chips.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom