Maybe coming to Tomorrowland, and elsewhere at the DLR

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

Phroobar

That is like season 11 episode 7 of the X-Files where Mulder and Scully stop at a automated sushi restaurant. Mulder gets the wrong order and refuses to leave a tip for the robots. The robots hunt Mulder and Scully down in order to get their tip.

Salted Nut Roll

That is like season 11 episode 7 of the X-Files where Mulder and Scully stop at a automated sushi restaurant. Mulder gets the wrong order and refuses to leave a tip for the robots. The robots hunt Mulder and Scully down in order to get their tip.

You beat me to it; this is exactly what my first thought was. So that's a big no on the automated restaurants for me. And on self-driving cars, for that matter.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
But with the cost of labor, plus the more sterile environment for food safety, has many saying this will happen, and a large, high volume location, having robots flip burgers and plating product makes sense.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
The only question is if they will be part of the Union. Cause you know the Union isn't going to be happy with losing dues...

Oh, I know. Most Union Contracts have protection for employees who lose their jobs due to automation. But they just get transferred, and less new hires happen. So it slows down the loss of members, doesn't eliminate them.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Loved this episode. There is no dialogue for like half the episode and its all just non verbal. well written and acted.

DLR92

Automation kills jobs...please no! I have to deal with automotive self driving automobiles at the Post Office. These are honestly the stupidest thing I ever seen. They cause more backup in production and create more headaches. They are sensitive to their surroundings and shut down for no apparent reason. I honestly don’t bother to fix anything that might block their path. Just let one automated vehicle stop when something might block their way while the other that come backup like super congestive traffic. Because it too tiring to fix something where pathways are too narrow for them to begin with. It causing to delay my work duties. I refuse to fix them.

I cannot trust automated robots either to make my food.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Automation kills jobs...please no! I have to deal with automotive self driving automobiles at the Post Office. These are honestly the stupidest thing I ever seen. They cause more backup in production and create more headaches. They are sensitive to their surroundings and shut down for no apparent reason. I honestly don’t bother to fix anything that might block their path. Just let one automated vehicle stop when something might block their way while the other that come backup like super congestive traffic. Because it too tiring to fix something where pathways are too narrow for them to begin with. It causing to delay my work duties. I refuse to fix them.

I cannot trust automated robots either to make my food.
Well based on the fact you “won’t fix” things to make it easier for automation, well then it sounds like you’re one of the problems causing the delays.

Automation isn’t going anywhere so might as well get used to it. Those that accept and embrace automation will thrive from it, those that don’t and try to hinder it will do so at their own peril.

DLR92

Well based on the fact you “won’t fix” things to make it easier for automation, well then it sounds like you’re one of the problems causing the delays.

Automation isn’t going anywhere so might as well get used to it. Those that accept and embrace automation will thrive from it, those that don’t and try to hinder it will do so at their own peril.

As a clerk,I would appreciate more automated machinery to help sort mail. This self automated driver is one of the worst financial project USPS has ever implemented. My local warehouse have small pathways for them. They are more suited to warehouse with large walkways. There are dedicated area are still manually sorted without machine. It be nice if they put effort to invest more machinery to process mail. I can’t even be part of problem solve those robot when they malfunction. It is the responsibility mechanic. I learn from them as well all mechanics have told me they are a problem.
that is one of my rant working for USPS.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As a clerk,I would appreciate more automated machinery to help sort mail. This self automated driver is one of the worst financial project USPS has ever implemented. My local warehouse have small pathways for them. They are more suited to warehouse with large walkways. There are dedicated area are still manually sorted without machine. It be nice if they put effort to invest more machinery to process mail. I can’t even be part of problem solve those robot when they malfunction. It is the responsibility mechanic. I learn from them as well all mechanics have told me they are a problem.
that is one of my rant working for USPS.
Wow, that was almost incomprehensible. But ok, you specifically said in your original post:

I honestly don’t bother to fix anything that might block their path. Just let one automated vehicle stop when something might block their way while the other that come backup like super congestive traffic.

That is purposely trying to get in the way of progress. You are part of the problem, because you're not helping, and purposely causing a delay. And honestly I don't know for what purpose, because these robots are not going anywhere. It might be the responsibility of the "mechanic" (not even a name used to fix an autonomous vehicle, but whatever), but if you were more willing to help and learn you might actually work yourself into a better job instead of being a clerk. Because I'm sure these "mechanics" (geez it is too hard to say technician) make more money than a clerk. So if you were to embrace automation you could better yourself and get a better career. I personally know its possible, because my brother is doing that very thing at Amazon. He started out as a fulfillment worker in the warehouse and is now training to fix the autonomous warehouse robots. All because he embraced automation and was curious about the robots.

Yes you're probably right that USPS (which is bankrupt by the way) should invest more into automation. And make the pathways wider for these specific autonomous robots. But they are a governmental agency which has oversight by Congress, so they can't just do whatever they want like a private company. I know that various different pilot programs have been run over the years at USPS, maybe your site has some of the older ones. But they are looking at different ways to automate USPS.

If you're more curious about it, here is a report from 2018 from the Inspector General on it:

Like I said before automation is not going away, so you might as well embrace it and try to better yourself in the process.

DanielBB8

Why have robots when you can just have an off-site cooking facility and microwave everything? As for sushi restaurants, they already have automation where rice is instantly formed into nigiri rolls. Just place the raw fish on top. There's so much potential from using vending that you see in Japan, but not applied here. The biggest problem is applying a discount to an order so many people like myself give up and use a real cashier. If they can remove the complexity from an order, vending machines would be the norm.

Phroobar

We used to have automats where you put in your nickle and open the door to get your food. Now you only see that in Japan with vending machines. You can buy anything from a vending machine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom