Matterhorn Bobsled Basketball Court

Robfasto

The reason I assume would be for the Cast Members that used to climb the Mountain would have someplace to hang out in between climbs.

xfkirsten

Robfasto said:
The reason I assume would be for the Cast Members that used to climb the Mountain would have someplace to hang out in between climbs.

Yup, that's it!

There's an urban legend that it was put there due to building codes and not being able to have a structure over "x" feet tall, but that's not true. :)

BigPigletFan

Yes, it was placed there as a spot for Cast Members to relax and take their breaks without having to go all of the way down while they were building it. Now it is used for storage. A Cast Member even informed me of this while on the Walk in Walt's Footstep's Tour last year. I have seen a picture of it. Let me see if I can find it.

bryon1

The climbers today still use this area as a breakroom. theres a large room off to the left and the mechanics for the new tink "pully" sistem are held just to left and behind the hoop. If you go by the old Fants. autopia area and look up at the matterhorn theres a hole in the mountain...a small fan helps get stale air out...this fan is at the level of where the court is. In fact the elevator thats inside takes you to the "5th" level. dont know if its technicaly correct for building stories or not.

Inside that area there is steel for the frame but you can see the wood and plaster framing to mold the "mountain" way before wire mesh framing. Kinda freaky to see close up.

Figment1986

Didn't a radio station have a DJ do live broadcasts from there once??

as a stunt?? they would play B-ball and wave to the people while having the service lights on...

KentB3

marni1971 said:
Yep, it is true. Its only a half court though.

Half court? How large is this in relation to a full-sized basktball court used at college and NBA games? Also, where exactly is the basketball court inside the Matterhorn? :confused:

Fraisie

When I took the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour last month, the tour guide said that it WAS built because of the regulation code that said that only sports building could be this high or something like this. She said it was not built as a place for climbers to relax.

ImaginEAR

Fraisie said:
When I took the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour last month, the tour guide said that it WAS built because of the regulation code that said that only sports building could be this high or something like this. She said it was not built as a place for climbers to relax.

I've heard many stories, and this was the first one I heard...

xfkirsten

Fraisie said:

Unfortunately, this is another case of Cast Members passing along incorrect information. Snopes.com debunk that, pointing out that there weren't height restrictions in Anaheim until the 70's. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom