Matterhorn and Pinocchio getting refurbished starting July 30th, 2018

mickEblu

I've said it before, they should just leave the giant sandworm snake in the attic from HMH. A big improvement over the talking mannequin with the bad puns.

Maybe we’ll get a new Constance for the 50th next year? Or maybe they ll give us a new interactive tomb queue that nobody wants.

dweezil78

Please tell me this is a joke. The Haunted Mansions Q works so great because it is understated and charming. We don’t need or want an interactive Q.

Everything beyond the front lawn is all boring switchbacks... (It also can get really hot there at certain parts of the day!) You really wouldn't be on board with them doing something to make that area more interesting, or at least something with some shade? Assuming it's not the lame kiddie area from WDW of course.

SuddenStorm

Maybe we’ll get a new Constance for the 50th next year? Or maybe they ll give us a new interactive tomb queue that nobody wants.

Literally all they'd need to do is bring back the old bride figure- in her original spot. The spot she was in before the original Hatbox Ghost was removed.

And bring back the old attic decorations- all the hatbox's with skulls popping out.

Now that ole' hattie is back, the attic can finally be what the original Imagineers had intended.

mickEblu

Everything beyond the front lawn is all boring switchbacks... (It also can get really hot there at certain parts of the day!) You really wouldn't be on board with them doing something to make that area more interesting, or at least something with some shade? Assuming it's not the lame kiddie area from WDW of course.

Well if you eliminate the lawn we are talking about the switch backs on the side only? Ya no I don’t want to be in some indoor tomb with interactive tombstones that ruins the understated charm of the Q. I don’t find it boring so much as thematically appropriate. There is something about that area being nestled between the berm and the side of the mansion that feels like you re really outside of some old Southern Mansion. Like I said before it would be kind of cool if they took us through the berm to some new indoor Q space (almost like some hidden tomb on the estate) and back to the existing outdoor Q. But I’m not holding my breath for that.

dweezil78

Well if you eliminate the lawn we are talking about the switch backs on the side only? Ya no I don’t want to be in some indoor tomb with interactive tombstones that ruins the understated charm of the Q. I don’t find it boring so much as thematically appropriate. There is something about that area being nestled between the berm and the side of the mansion that feels like you re really outside of some old Southern Mansion. Like I said before it would be kind of cool if they took us through the berm to some new indoor Q space (almost like some hidden tomb on the estate) and back to the existing outdoor Q. But I’m not holding my breath for that.

Understated? You're literally herded like cattle in switchbacks for 3/4 of the queue. Which isn't bad when it's a 5-10 min wait, but on busy days with the sun beating down on you, it's pretty awful. For such a richly detailed attraction, I've always been underwhelmed by that part of it. Once you're behind the front lawn, all you can really look at is the side of the mansion or the crypt wall which, no offense to the great wall of crypts, gets old after standing next to it for a few minutes. I think there's way more that can be done with that space. Unfortunately, unless they start digging and go underground, there's not much room beyond those train tracks for anything else as it runs right into the show building.

queue.png

PB Watermelon

This question could probably be its own thread, but this seems as good a place as any. Pinocchio is a walk-on every time I've been to Disneyland in the last ten years. What do you think the problem is, and how would you fix it? Bonus Question...if not a radical ground up overhaul, if the team approached it like they did "plussing" Alice in Wonderland (which I loved, just a joy to see that ride come to new life...it's the Susie Blue Coupe of Fantasyland attractions), how would you tackle that same approach with Pinocchio?

britain

This question could probably be its own thread, but this seems as good a place as any. Pinocchio is a walk-on every time I've been to Disneyland in the last ten years. What do you think the problem is, and how would you fix it? Bonus Question...if not a radical ground up overhaul, if the team approached it like they did "plussing" Alice in Wonderland (which I loved, just a joy to see that ride come to new life...it's the Susie Blue Coupe of Fantasyland attractions), how would you tackle that same approach with Pinocchio?

I love Pinocchio as is, which is, the ride that we’ll jump on when Pan would take too long.

Rich T

I think its often-empty queue is due to a combination of location and an entry that doesn't scream "this is a ride." They designed the entry to look like a puppet theater, and I think they might have done too good a job. :D The ride's exterior and load zone is certainly tasteful and low-key, but almost to a fault. That load area is so peaceful it almost makes me want to take a nap.

Solution? Villains! Create a new entry sign featuring Stromboli and Monstro, and maybe come up with a more exciting loading zone mural. The one that's there does a good job of setting the scene... but it's just too darn calm.

As for the ride itself, my only problem with it is the way its peaceful happy ending goes on forever with nothing exciting happening. They should plus the Monstro scene and have him actually swallow us. They should turn the village scene into Monstro's stomach, the "Wake up" scene into an escape from Monstro (projections would be okay) and the clocks/fireplace scene into the Wake-Up scene.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Now to qualify this a bit more, can you not enjoy it but still enjoy it at the same time? Or can you enjoy it, but not enjoy Jack? Or can you enjoy Jack, but not Sally? Or can you enjoy Sally, but not Jack? Or can you enjoy Zero, but not Jack and Sally?

There are so many levels of no enjoyment here, I think we need a scale.... ;):p:cool:

*Just FYI, I enjoy it for what it is*

I think that if you enjoy 51% of it, then it's an enjoyable experience. If you enjoy 49% of it, then perhaps it's not the experience for you. I think our calculations should involve soundtrack, animatronics, quality, measurable emotions. We should throw in some theories and hypotheses while we're at it, gather evidence, and form an opinion based on grounded facts :D :hilarious:

mickEblu

I don’t think special effects would help Pinocchio long term. I think there are a few factors that contribute to its walk on status. Many kids don’t know who he is (there is no trace of him on TV and they haven’t released a live action remake yet). The ride system / ride vehicle is lackluster when compared to Alice, Pan and Toad. It’s kind of eerie dark and scary in combination with my first point which gives parents no pay off for bringing their kids on the ride.

I don’t think these are things that can be fixed with special effects. I think the ride is safe though as I would imagine it has a low operating cost and they couldn’t fit anything worthwhile in that space anyway that would be compliant with modern Safety and disability laws. Unless of course they combine the space with Red Rose Tavern to make Be our Guest (hope not) but I still don’t think that’s enough room.

mickEblu

Pooh's reacti

I think its often-empty queue is due to a combination of location and an entry that doesn't scream "this is a ride." They designed the entry to look like a puppet theater, and I think they might have done too good a job. :D The ride's exterior and load zone is certainly tasteful and low-key, but almost to a fault. That load area is so peaceful it almost makes me want to take a nap.

Solution? Villains! Create a new entry sign featuring Stromboli and Monstro, and maybe come up with a more exciting loading zone mural. The one's that's there does a good job of setting the scene... but it's just too darn calm.

As for the ride itself, my only problem with it is the way its peaceful happy ending goes on forever with nothing exciting happening. They should plus the Monstro scene and have him actually swallow us. They should turn the village scene into Monstro's stomach, the "Wake up" scene into an escape from Monstro (projections would be okay) and the clocks/fireplace scene into the Wake-Up scene.

I was going to bring up the same point about the Q but then remembered that “60% “of people at DLR are APs so if it was a ride that suited their families tastes they would find a way to ride regardless of the Q.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think that if you enjoy 51% of it, then it's an enjoyable experience. If you enjoy 49% of it, then perhaps it's not the experience for you. I think our calculations should involve soundtrack, animatronics, quality, measurable emotions. We should throw in some theories and hypotheses while we're at it, gather evidence, and form an opinion based on grounded facts :D:hilarious:

Sounds like a commission is needed to get to the bottom of this.... ;):p:cool:

Rich T

Literally all they'd need to do is bring back the old bride figure- in her original spot. The spot she was in before the original Hatbox Ghost was removed.

And bring back the old attic decorations- all the hatbox's with skulls popping out.

Now that ole' hattie is back, the attic can finally be what the original Imagineers had intended.
Definitely bring back the screaming heads popping out of the boxes. That part scared the heck out of me as a kid, and it gave the mansion a nice edge that it currently lacks. The morphing bride/groom photos are way too subtle, and the doombuggies move too quickly for them be effective.

The Constance bride can be improved. I would NOT bring back the original bride, as it wasn't scary or well-done, but I *would* incorporate the loudly-beating heart into the Constance bride in place of the dialogue. Best of both worlds!

SuddenStorm

Wait.. you're telling me HMH isn't enjoyable to those of you who don't enjoy it?

It's not just not enjoyable. It's offensively bad. It's Imagineering saying "Hey- here's one of the most iconic rides ever done. One of the most influential rides built. But guess what... it needs some more IP!"

It's the epitome of what current Disney fans hate about the way Disney operates now.

And I can only imagine the kind of wear the mansion receives having figures changed out that frequently. It can't be good for it long term.

GiveMeTheMusic

HMH is wildly popular and any attempt to retire it will be met with widespread anger and bemoaning. Not that such things matter (see TOT). There isn't really a good place to make a permanent NBC ride in DLR and the property is a lucrative one when it comes to merch. Retiring HMH would put a serious damper on the NBC merch gravy train with no way to replace that synergy.

In short, HMH is not going anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom