Matterhorn and Pinocchio getting refurbished starting July 30th, 2018

Disney Analyst

I imagine that the Matterhorn as it stands is just a collection of band aid fixes and replacements to keep the aging attraction running as much as possible.

It desperately needs a Space Mountain BTMRR rebuild where they gut it and update it to 2018 technology.

Well that's what worries with me with all the refurbs... it can't be too long before they say screw it... this costs too much tear it down.

TwilightZone

I hope that they fix that track on matterhorn, still bumpy. I like the bumpiness, but I know people who don't. Maybe make one track the not bumpy track or something.

SuddenStorm

Well that's what worries with me with all the refurbs... it can't be too long before they say screw it... this costs too much tear it down.

It's popular, and Disney has spent enough money updating the sleds, facade, and cavern sequences in the last 8 years that I doubt they're planning a teardown.

It just needs to have the track rebuilt and tech upgraded to make it a smoother ride that's more reliable.

Disney Analyst

It's popular, and Disney has spent enough money updating the sleds, facade, and cavern sequences in the last 8 years that I doubt they're planning a teardown.

It just needs to have the track rebuilt and tech upgraded to make it a smoother ride that's more reliable.

But it's Disney... they spent tons of money on DCA and are currently ruining the park again..

I could see the only way they give the money to rebuild the ride is with an IP overlay.

SuddenStorm

But it's Disney... they spent tons of money on DCA and are currently ruining the park again..

I could see the only way they give the money to rebuild the ride is with an IP overlay.

I imagine that Pixar Pier was only done since they still weren't happy with Pixar Pier. Instead of having it an afterthought, they wanted to give the land it's own personality (like New Orleans Square) so that its identity extends beyond being the location of Screamin and Midway Mania.

I also don't see them adding an IP to the Matterhorn, its far more iconic than Screamin was. They didn't add an IP to BTMRR when they built that.

Disney Analyst

I imagine that Pixar Pier was only done since they still weren't happy with Pixar Pier. Instead of having it an afterthought, they wanted to give the land it's own personality (like New Orleans Square) so that its identity extends beyond being the location of Screamin and Midway Mania.

I also don't see them adding an IP to the Matterhorn, its far more iconic than Screamin was. They didn't add an IP to BTMRR when they built that.

You’re very optimistic. I like you.

TwilightZone

It's a 60 yr old coaster -- probably needs more attention than most. Look what happened in Daytona a week ago. Better safe than sorry.
Not only is it a 60 year old coaster, but it's a 60 year coaster made by Arrow, a company that is infamous for their older coasters being incredibly bumpy. Not only that but it is also a company that is defunct, so Disney needs to do as much as possible to help this ride.

dweezil78

Not only is it a 60 year old coaster, but it's a 60 year coaster made by Arrow, a company that is infamous for their older coasters being incredibly bumpy. Not only that but it is also a company that is defunct, so Disney needs to do as much as possible to help this ride.

Bumpy I can handle. Matterhorn's coaster track seems to be bent into pathways that weren't meant to be traveled by coaster cars!

TwilightZone

If they tore down the Matterhorn and replaced it with a better Matterhorn, I wouldn't be mad. Unfortunately, I don't think WDI is capable of creating something better.
I think they are. They have been stagnant on coasters of late, but that tron coaster looks pretty fun. If they can make a e-ticket matterhorn ride, and not a kiddie one I would be very happy. Personally I can see matterhorn working well with whatever system twisted colossus is. But maybe that's because they both have two tracks.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

This is the issue I see though, isn't some of the track in areas of the mountain not easily accessible? Meaning they'd have to tear out part of the mountain to get to it. So a straight rebuild and replace isn't an option from my understanding.

SuddenStorm

This is the issue I see though, isn't some of the track in areas of the mountain not easily accessible? Meaning they'd have to tear out part of the mountain to get to it. So a straight rebuild and replace isn't an option from my understanding.

I believe that the entire track has been replaced throughout the ride's existence. Very little of what's there now is original from 1959.

If having to tear out part of the mountain is what it takes, then I think that's acceptable. The ride is iconic, and it needs some love to help keep it relevant.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I believe that the entire track has been replaced throughout the ride's existence. Very little of what's there now is original from 1959.

If having to tear out part of the mountain is what it takes, then I think that's acceptable. The ride is iconic, and it needs some love to help keep it relevant.

Sure, its just what I've heard. Similar to Disco Yeti, some areas are not accessible without tearing out sections of the mountain.

But hey its the only Matterhorn so likely wouldn't be completely torn down anyways.

D.Silentu

Most of my life I've been a fan of the left track, but I've recently come to believe that the right side is more forgiving in terms of physical abuse. I would support a rebuild that would ease out the ride experience.

mickEblu

Most of my life I've been a fan of the left track, but I've recently come to believe that the right side is more forgiving in terms of physical abuse. I would support a rebuild that would ease out the ride experience.

If you want some real punishment sit in row 6 when riding the left track.

Rich T

I imagine that the Matterhorn as it stands is just a collection of band aid fixes and replacements to keep the aging attraction running as much as possible.

It desperately needs a Space Mountain BTMRR rebuild where they gut it and update it to 2018 technology.
Won't be the same ride; no way they'll replicate that signature wonderful hand-made funkiness of the track layout again. They'd have to tear down the entire mountain and rebuild it from scratch-- Which would take today's Imagineering 15 years and the same budget for the entirety of Shanghai Disneyland.

Seriously, though, I'm wondering how long the Matterhorn can last without a tear-down. Many more years, I hope, even though I can no longer ride it due to the pain I get from the newer !?&#!? bobsleds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom