Master of the Parks - Spring Challenge (Tomorrowland Restoration)

BryceM

Original Poster
Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom used to be a true representative of Walt's vision of "Tomorrow". However in recent years, the land itself was aesthetically changed. It now has a sleeker, more space-like appearance to it and looks miraculous at night.

But the land has its weak points.

The attractions located within Tomorrowland are sub-par at best, and are anchored by the main attraction; Space Mountain. While a fantastic roller coaster, it is a blast to the 70s and will likely leave mom and dad with a headache for the rest of the day. The Tomorrowland Transit Authority and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin are probably the lands two next best attractions. Then it goes downhill.

Stitch's Great Escape is an abomination, and Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor just doesn't belong. The Astro Orbiter looks nice, but has a low capacity and the line moves by extremely slow, partially due to the elevator. The Tomorrowland Speedway is one of the most unattractive things about the land. The Carousel of Progress is the last true thing that represents Walt himself, but it is dated, falling apart and rarely has a wait of more than 5 minutes.

Your goal for this challenge is to restore Tomorrowland to a true representative of Walt's vision of "Tomorrow". Do what you want with all of the attractions. You can remove them, you can change them or simply update them. Just make sure that they get replaced if you take one out. You can also NOT expand and must use the area provided. If you want to level the Tomorrowland Speedway for a major E-Ticket, then so be it. Just don't find a way to build one behind the Speedway. You can also change the aesthetics of the land, if you desire.

Good luck!

Ideas are due Sunday, March 31st

afar28

I wasn't in the past challenges for master of the parks, so do I just message you my idea or post it here?
Also, is this a 1 round thing or is it elimination type thing?

BryceM

Original Poster
I wasn't in the past challenges for master of the parks, so do I just message you my idea or post it here?
Also, is this a 1 round thing or is it elimination type thing?
You post your idea here! You've gotta have a strategy; do you post soon so nobody steals your idea, or post later so nobody steals your idea?

And the typical contest is an elimination thing, but this will just be one round, with one winner! And I just posted the due date, at the bottom of the original post.

afar28

You post your idea here! You've gotta have a strategy; do you post soon so nobody steals your idea, or post later so nobody steals your idea?

And the typical contest is an elimination thing, but this will just be one round, with one winner! And I just posted the due date, at the bottom of the original post.
Alright, thanks. Should be fun :)

Sassagoula-Rvr

I think I will have to withdraw...I had a couple of things I forgot about with classes this week. And I realize there is no way I would be able to think up some ideas, and then make some concept art etc. Sorry!

Sassagoula-Rvr

-Tomorrowland 2013-

"A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying man's achievements...a step into the future, with predictions of constructive things to come.
Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure and ideals: the Atomic Age...the challenges of outer space...and the hope for a peaceful and unified world."
Walt Disney
July 17, 1955

Mission-

I really struggled with how I wanted to approach this, on one hand the traditionalist in me wanted to rip out every Pixar character from the land and return it to the original vision of Tomorrowland. However I quickly realized that today's kids come to Disney EXPECTING to see these characters...So I decided to strike a sort of compromise...Stitch is gone, no doubt about that at all. I'll let you see what was cut and what was retained through my presentation.

Attractions-

SPACE MOUNTAIN:

Space Mountain, a timeless classic opened in 1975...unfortunately it feels as if the ride is stuck in that era...One of the big projects of this Tomorrowland refurbishment will be the update of Space Mountain. The track will be torn out and updated to a more modern ride system with larger cars as well that will provide a smooth ride. The new cars will have on-board audio much like Rock'n Roller Coaster in DHS. With updated projections and the on-board Audio Space Mountain promises to be a cutting edge thrill ride once again. The theme of Space Mountain will remain the same, with some small improvements to the loading area to really make that feel like the launching off point/busy Space Port.

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin:

I really enjoy this ride, however I realize it is terribly outdated as well. This ride will under-go a massive refurbishment which sees the queue area re-imagined as the Galactic Alliance's Headquarters. The ride vehicles will be updated with new "shooters" that are detachable. The ride itself will then have some screen technology (possibly 3D elements) incorporated as well. The finale room will be a spectacular finish fighting Zurg's forces. Upon returning back to Star Command "Rangers" will pass a screen with their on-ride photo, score and rating as well as a board with the top scores. I'm trying to work out a better name for this attraction as well.
WALL-E: Return to Earth

This attraction will be an Omni-Mover replacement of Stitch's Great Escape, Guests enter a "Briefing room" at "Excess Tech" the company that was founded to begin the process of fully restoring Earth to it's former beauty. In a way, the underlying lesson of this attraction will be reinforcing what could happen if we don't stop our "Excessive" way of life. After entering the room they will be treated to a video presentation detailing how WALL-E and EVA served as prototypes for environmentally friendly robots and technology. The guests will then be taken into a room where they board cars for a short tour of Excess Tech.

Upon entering a small room the Excess Tech spokesperson announces via the intercom that WALL-E and EVA will be accompanying the tour through the labs. The tour enters a main lab where Waste management robots are being tested and it quickly begins to veer off course as WALL-E in his quirky nature brings production to a grinding halt through various missteps.

Overall this ride will be used to showcase some realistic uses of technology in sustainability (Of course with a little embellishment, as children rarely find the pragmatic version of the tech exciting). And I would like to think up a better name as well, but this is the working title.
MORE CONCEPT ART TO COME FOR THIS ATTRACTION

The Others

This attraction will replace Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor...it will be in much of the same vein with the theater and etc...the pre-show will discuss how there has been contact made with other "beings" via a deep space probe...and for the first time ever, a communications channel has been established (Belief will have to be suspended for this one). Children will be able to text in questions for our "Friends" and they will answer/ask questions of audience.
It will be a humorous exploration of the ideas of deep space travel, and the fact there are probably other planets like ours out there with life...it will take on the whole term of "alien" and humanize them to the kids. Realistically communicating with other life is probably a long ways away, but now that we have a probe outside of the solar system, that is where space travel and tech is headed. Also it reinforces what Walt mentioned about a peaceful unified world by encouraging kids to not judge by stereotypes and get to know people even though they are different. In a budgeting move, by adopting a lot of the same principles as Laugh Floor...production costs will be reduced.
CONCEPT ART AND NEW NAME STILL IN THE WORKS

TTA

One of my favorite attractions in the world, will be refurbished and slightly modernized, with lights being added to the cars themselves as well. Otherwise untouched besides a more traditional narration.
Astro Orbiter

In this vision of Tomorrowland the Astro Orbiter will remain as is, but the loading situation will be reworked to decrease the weight time.
Carousel of Progress

I am a big traditionalist, this ride will remain however it will get all the TLC it needs and the final scene will be updated to a future that is relevant today.
E-Ticket Replacing Tomorrowland Speedway: Still being worked out!!!
I just wanted to get my main ideas in before most of the others!! :) I am hoping I will be allowed to edit this entry with concept art as it is created, etc.

WED99

Why are you doing outlines guys? Can you please just save @BryceM and @Tip Top Club the trouble of sorting through a thread?

Save all your ideas and post them as one neat post. Don't worry, no one is going to steal your idea.

jdmdisney99

Why are you doing outlines guys? Can you please just save @BryceM and @Tip Top Club the trouble of sorting through a thread?

Save all your ideas and post them as one neat post. Don't worry, no one is going to steal your idea.
Sorry dude, I'll delete my post if you like. I was just going to type that and more in my overall post, but just thought I'd give an outline/place to sort my ideas. But I will delete for you WED99, a worthy opponent.

BryceM

Original Poster

THANK YOU. If you MUST post an outline (which I'm not supportive of), go back and edit your original post with the completed thing.

Clutter = no bueno.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom