Master of the Parks - Spring Challenge (Sign-Up Here!)

Thrill Seeker

Tomorrowland was re-designed in 1994 as the tomorrow that never was, today. The goal was to make it look like the visions of tomorrow seen in the 1940s and 50s. As of late, this theme has kinda fallen apart with the addition of a bunch of Disney movie themed attractions and the 2009 spiel change for the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. My vision for Tomorrowland would be to restore this theme primarily by causing it to make more sense and adding in new, stronger attractions to improve what has become a bit of a mess. It would in a way become like a Intergalactic Worlds Fair for future technology.

I will list every attraction I will include in New Tomorrowland and what has changed, if anything.

1. Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover: The Peoplemover has been a staple in Tomorrowland since 1975 when it opened as the Wedway Peoplemover. The ride system, powered by magnets, propelled the blue trains throughout Tomorrowland giving guests a grand circle tour, as well as preserving the theme of the area. In 1994, it was renamed the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, given a new, robotic announcer and really helped to strengthen the theme of the land. In 2009, the spiel was once again redone with a much more classic sound, reminiscent of the Wedway Peoplemover. In 2010, Peoplemover was added back into the name. Even though I appreciate the homage to the old Peoplemover and better explanation of each attraction, the new spiel lost the one element that it needed most: the theme. I would implement 2 changes to the Peoplemover. First, the spiel would be once again redone in a similar style to the 1994 version. Instead of being called Metroliner vehicles, they would remain Peoplemover vehicles, thus keeping the homage alive. Spiel points would include the Metropolis Science Center, Epcot Model, Barsoom (more on that later), Space Mountain, Rockettower Plaza, Metro Retro Historical Society, Star Command HQ (Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom ad inside), Tomorrowland Expo Center and returning to Rocketower Plaza Station.

2. Astro Orbiter: This is the one attraction I would pretty much leave untouched.

3. Hulk Encounter (Replaces Stitch's Great Escape): Here's my first crazy idea of this post. I say it's crazy because it's unlikely to ever happen, but hey, you never know. The left block of Tomorrowland hasn't exactly had much success in bringing in the crowds because of it's limited space (it's right next to Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe) and pretty poor attractions housed inside. Currently, it is home to Stitch's Great Escape, an attraction that has been panned by critics and guests alike as being poor. My solution comes in the form of the first Marvel themed attraction within a Disney park: Hulk Encounter. First off, the building would be restored to the Metropolis Science Center, the name it had when it housed Extra Terrorestrial Alien Encounter in the 90s. Pre show room 1 would introduce guests to the Metropolis Science Center and how it's various exhibits have changed the future (an XS Tech reference would be made as homage to Alien Encounter) as well as introduce Dr. Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo), a scientist who specializes in gamma ray technology which is currently on display. In pre-show room 2, guests are taken to Banner's lab where through a video log, he explains how through an accident he was transformed into the abomination known as The Hulk and how he as experimented for years to try and cure himself. Now, through a generous grant from the Metropolis Science Center and his own experimentation, he believes he has finally found a solution. Guests are now invited into the Gamma Testing Chamber where they will watch for themselves as Dr. Banner irradiates The Hulk once in for all.

The main attraction will be set up exactly the same as Alien Encounter/Stitch before it. There will be a central tube, video screens towards the top of the chamber and seats surrounding the tube. It will begin with a hologram of Banner similar to the tech used in Disaster at Universal. After discussing safety protocol with his staff, the central tube is flooded with gamma radiation. Rather than getting rid of the Hulk, the radiation causes Banner to transform inside the tube, smashing it. Guests see brief shots of The Hulk himself as he tries to escape the chamber. What would follow is a series of intense atmospheric effects and animatronic destruction. Guests will see brief flashes of the Hulk shaking the chamber throwing gamma cannons across the room and eventually breaking out of the chamber and fighting military forces. In the end, he ends up saving a citizen caught in the crossfire and fleeing into the wilderness. Guests would then exit into Mickey's Star Traders, where a new Hulk sized hole would appear through one of the windows or walls.

4. Monster's Inc Laugh Floor: Unlike many of it's critics, I actually do enjoy the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and believe it can be included in the backstory of Tomorrowland if some minor tweaks are made. I would only change pre-show room 1 and add some extra Tomorrowland Expo Center signage outside the attraction. Pre-show room 1 would now be a display of the various displays of the past and would include a Timekeeper reference. The current display involves guests being invited into another dimension by the monsters of Monstropolis for their Laugh Floor. After the intro video, directions on how to text in your joke and an introduction from Roz would come in.

5. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: SRS is a classic attraction that still brings in the crowds despite it's age and outdated technology. Because of this, I would leave Buzz where it is, but make a few changes to update it. First off, the guns would now be detachable like all other versions of the attraction. I would also include an updated scoreboard at the exit to include top scores of the day and some more advanced and new targets for veterans to discover and shoot.

6. Flying Saucers (Replaces Carousel of Progress): Here's another fun change that is a multi-step process. The first step is taking the Carousel of Progress and re-locating it to Epcot Center. The second step is building a show building, a small kiosk shop and the attraction area. The kiosk would serve as the Metro Retro Historical Society Command Post, which is a Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom location. The show building would be the queue for a new attraction: Flying Saucers. This attraction would be based upon the tech used for Luigi's Flying Tires at Disney California Adventure in Cars Land. Guests would enter the Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society, a museum of sorts chronicling Tomorrowland's past. This would include interactive displays featuring futuristic props from past Disney attractions from Tomorrowland and beyond. Next, you are invited to experience basic alien technology from the Historical Society's archives: The Flying Saucer. Guests would next enter the loading bay where they enter their saucer and fly around bumping into other saucers, spinning, twirling and all to futuristic sounding techno beats.

7. Space Mountain Mission 2 (Replaces Space Mountain): WDW's Space Mountain is the first of it's kind, but it's also the most out of date. Despite the recent refurbishment, which did improve the attraction, Space Mountain in Florida still isn't up to the same standards as all of the other versions of the iconic attraction. To combat this, we would gut our Space Mountain and replace it with a clone of Space Mountain Mission 2 from Disneyland Paris. Our version would be themed as a deep space transportation service. Guests would enter Starport 75 and explore the variety of destinations offered. Next, guests would walk past the control center and enter the loading area. Just like Mission 2 and Rockin' Roller Coaster, guests would board their rockets 2 per row for 12 rows. Next, their rocket would enter launch control and launch them into deep space where their rocket, swoops, turns and loops through the galaxy.

8. Barsoom (Replaces Tomorrowland Speedway): Here's my other big, crazy idea from this blog post. I'll be completely honest here, I've never been a fan of Tomorrowland Speedway. It has never really fit in Tomorrowland, smells bad and isn't well themed. It also takes up a pretty good chunk of land, which could be used for multiple attractions. Now as for what this land could be used for, my suggestion is based on a film that is extremely underrated and could be a fantastic area/attraction: Barsoom from John Carter. Now I know the likely hood of Disney building an attraction of this caliber based on a film that was considered a bust is unlikely, but hey, I'd still say it should get one. How this will be accomplished is a wall similar to the castle walls in New Fantasyland. In many regards, this the keystone of a New Tomorrowland and would require a smaller chunk of land, but about as big of a commitment. Guests enter a teleportation walkway into Barsoom also known as Mars. The area would feature crystaline structures and of course, lots of red rocks and mountains. In front of them is the city of Helium where your adventure begins. The majority of the area would be taken up by a massive show building for the primary attraction: John Carter: Take Back Barsoom. The queue would take place inside the palace of Helium, where the story of John Carter will be retold through interactive story panels that guests can activate while waiting. At the end of the queue, Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins) recruits the visitors from Jasoom to stop the Therns from destroying civilization on Barsoom. Guests board flying machines which seat up to 6 passengers and journey throughout Barsoom and the war to aid John Carter in saving the planet from devastating war. The attraction would feature a state of the art ride system where the vehicles in similar structure to an inverted roller coaster with motion bases move along the track and showcase advanced visual effects combined with animatronics in a similar style as Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at Universal's Islands of Adventure. After the adventure, guests would return to the palace, where they could purchase mementos of their adventures on Barsoom. I would also included a highly themed eatery inside the palace to hopefully ease some of the high traffic that Cosmic Ray's gets across the street.

That's my pitch. I hope you liked it!

Oscar

Tomorrowland was re-designed in 1994 as the tomorrow that never was, today. The goal was to make it look like the visions of tomorrow seen in the 1940s and 50s. As of late, this theme has kinda fallen apart with the addition of a bunch of Disney movie themed attractions and the 2009 spiel change for the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. My vision for Tomorrowland would be to restore this theme primarily by causing it to make more sense and adding in new, stronger attractions to improve what has become a bit of a mess. It would in a way become like a Intergalactic Worlds Fair for future technology.

I will list every attraction I will include in New Tomorrowland and what has changed, if anything.

1. Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover: The Peoplemover has been a staple in Tomorrowland since 1975 when it opened as the Wedway Peoplemover. The ride system, powered by magnets, propelled the blue trains throughout Tomorrowland giving guests a grand circle tour, as well as preserving the theme of the area. In 1994, it was renamed the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, given a new, robotic announcer and really helped to strengthen the theme of the land. In 2009, the spiel was once again redone with a much more classic sound, reminiscent of the Wedway Peoplemover. In 2010, Peoplemover was added back into the name. Even though I appreciate the homage to the old Peoplemover and better explanation of each attraction, the new spiel lost the one element that it needed most: the theme. I would implement 2 changes to the Peoplemover. First, the spiel would be once again redone in a similar style to the 1994 version. Instead of being called Metroliner vehicles, they would remain Peoplemover vehicles, thus keeping the homage alive. Spiel points would include the Metropolis Science Center, Epcot Model, Barsoom (more on that later), Space Mountain, Rockettower Plaza, Metro Retro Historical Society, Star Command HQ (Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom ad inside), Tomorrowland Expo Center and returning to Rocketower Plaza Station.

2. Astro Orbiter: This is the one attraction I would pretty much leave untouched.

3. Hulk Encounter (Replaces Stitch's Great Escape): Here's my first crazy idea of this post. I say it's crazy because it's unlikely to ever happen, but hey, you never know. The left block of Tomorrowland hasn't exactly had much success in bringing in the crowds because of it's limited space (it's right next to Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe) and pretty poor attractions housed inside. Currently, it is home to Stitch's Great Escape, an attraction that has been panned by critics and guests alike as being poor. My solution comes in the form of the first Marvel themed attraction within a Disney park: Hulk Encounter. First off, the building would be restored to the Metropolis Science Center, the name it had when it housed Extra Terrorestrial Alien Encounter in the 90s. Pre show room 1 would introduce guests to the Metropolis Science Center and how it's various exhibits have changed the future (an XS Tech reference would be made as homage to Alien Encounter) as well as introduce Dr. Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo), a scientist who specializes in gamma ray technology which is currently on display. In pre-show room 2, guests are taken to Banner's lab where through a video log, he explains how through an accident he was transformed into the abomination known as The Hulk and how he as experimented for years to try and cure himself. Now, through a generous grant from the Metropolis Science Center and his own experimentation, he believes he has finally found a solution. Guests are now invited into the Gamma Testing Chamber where they will watch for themselves as Dr. Banner irradiates The Hulk once in for all.

The main attraction will be set up exactly the same as Alien Encounter/Stitch before it. There will be a central tube, video screens towards the top of the chamber and seats surrounding the tube. It will begin with a hologram of Banner similar to the tech used in Disaster at Universal. After discussing safety protocol with his staff, the central tube is flooded with gamma radiation. Rather than getting rid of the Hulk, the radiation causes Banner to transform inside the tube, smashing it. Guests see brief shots of The Hulk himself as he tries to escape the chamber. What would follow is a series of intense atmospheric effects and animatronic destruction. Guests will see brief flashes of the Hulk shaking the chamber throwing gamma cannons across the room and eventually breaking out of the chamber and fighting military forces. In the end, he ends up saving a citizen caught in the crossfire and fleeing into the wilderness. Guests would then exit into Mickey's Star Traders, where a new Hulk sized hole would appear through one of the windows or walls.

4. Monster's Inc Laugh Floor: Unlike many of it's critics, I actually do enjoy the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and believe it can be included in the backstory of Tomorrowland if some minor tweaks are made. I would only change pre-show room 1 and add some extra Tomorrowland Expo Center signage outside the attraction. Pre-show room 1 would now be a display of the various displays of the past and would include a Timekeeper reference. The current display involves guests being invited into another dimension by the monsters of Monstropolis for their Laugh Floor. After the intro video, directions on how to text in your joke and an introduction from Roz would come in.

5. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: SRS is a classic attraction that still brings in the crowds despite it's age and outdated technology. Because of this, I would leave Buzz where it is, but make a few changes to update it. First off, the guns would now be detachable like all other versions of the attraction. I would also include an updated scoreboard at the exit to include top scores of the day and some more advanced and new targets for veterans to discover and shoot.

6. Flying Saucers (Replaces Carousel of Progress): Here's another fun change that is a multi-step process. The first step is taking the Carousel of Progress and re-locating it to Epcot Center. The second step is building a show building, a small kiosk shop and the attraction area. The kiosk would serve as the Metro Retro Historical Society Command Post, which is a Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom location. The show building would be the queue for a new attraction: Flying Saucers. This attraction would be based upon the tech used for Luigi's Flying Tires at Disney California Adventure in Cars Land. Guests would enter the Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society, a museum of sorts chronicling Tomorrowland's past. This would include interactive displays featuring futuristic props from past Disney attractions from Tomorrowland and beyond. Next, you are invited to experience basic alien technology from the Historical Society's archives: The Flying Saucer. Guests would next enter the loading bay where they enter their saucer and fly around bumping into other saucers, spinning, twirling and all to futuristic sounding techno beats.

7. Space Mountain Mission 2 (Replaces Space Mountain): WDW's Space Mountain is the first of it's kind, but it's also the most out of date. Despite the recent refurbishment, which did improve the attraction, Space Mountain in Florida still isn't up to the same standards as all of the other versions of the iconic attraction. To combat this, we would gut our Space Mountain and replace it with a clone of Space Mountain Mission 2 from Disneyland Paris. Our version would be themed as a deep space transportation service. Guests would enter Starport 75 and explore the variety of destinations offered. Next, guests would walk past the control center and enter the loading area. Just like Mission 2 and Rockin' Roller Coaster, guests would board their rockets 2 per row for 12 rows. Next, their rocket would enter launch control and launch them into deep space where their rocket, swoops, turns and loops through the galaxy.

8. Barsoom (Replaces Tomorrowland Speedway): Here's my other big, crazy idea from this blog post. I'll be completely honest here, I've never been a fan of Tomorrowland Speedway. It has never really fit in Tomorrowland, smells bad and isn't well themed. It also takes up a pretty good chunk of land, which could be used for multiple attractions. Now as for what this land could be used for, my suggestion is based on a film that is extremely underrated and could be a fantastic area/attraction: Barsoom from John Carter. Now I know the likely hood of Disney building an attraction of this caliber based on a film that was considered a bust is unlikely, but hey, I'd still say it should get one. How this will be accomplished is a wall similar to the castle walls in New Fantasyland. In many regards, this the keystone of a New Tomorrowland and would require a smaller chunk of land, but about as big of a commitment. Guests enter a teleportation walkway into Barsoom also known as Mars. The area would feature crystaline structures and of course, lots of red rocks and mountains. In front of them is the city of Helium where your adventure begins. The majority of the area would be taken up by a massive show building for the primary attraction: John Carter: Take Back Barsoom. The queue would take place inside the palace of Helium, where the story of John Carter will be retold through interactive story panels that guests can activate while waiting. At the end of the queue, Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins) recruits the visitors from Jasoom to stop the Therns from destroying civilization on Barsoom. Guests board flying machines which seat up to 6 passengers and journey throughout Barsoom and the war to aid John Carter in saving the planet from devastating war. The attraction would feature a state of the art ride system where the vehicles in similar structure to an inverted roller coaster with motion bases move along the track and showcase advanced visual effects combined with animatronics in a similar style as Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at Universal's Islands of Adventure. After the adventure, guests would return to the palace, where they could purchase mementos of their adventures on Barsoom. I would also included a highly themed eatery inside the palace to hopefully ease some of the high traffic that Cosmic Ray's gets across the street.

That's my pitch. I hope you liked it!

Like this one, Bryce M.?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom