• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Massive Ticket Price Increase at DL - is WDW next?

eliza61nyc

i mean you do you homie i just usually consider "disney" things i cant do at the mall. than again WDW keeps getting more generic and theres enough like you to keep buying those tickets.
I guess it all depends on how you approach your activities. We usually hit Disney springs at the end of the night and we hit Ghirardellis , then watch the live entertainment which is NOT something i do at my local mall. Next, the simple fact that my family is together makes it different. Again I generally don't hang out at the mall with my kids in real life.
Lastly, my Disney experience is more "collective". It's the "sum" of many parts. It's the parks, the resorts, the restaurants and yes even the shopping that all contribute to fabulous vacations.

And hey, I'm pretty average, I like to get my "shop on" when I go on vacations. Probably more so on vacation because in real life I lean toward the frugal side so again not at the store unless I need something.

So thanks, I consider it a harbinger of good taste that so many of us enjoy it. Even if you meant it otherwise.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Advertisement
its front page across web and new casts....being worded as clear price hike before star wars. rvery article mentions something to the effect of before star wars opens.
And yet, this particular local radio story said nothing about 'Star Wars'.
The focus the reporter was covering was more the rather blunt statement from the Company rep, and just reporting the facts regarding the % in increase.

Still found it interesting, as it's rare to hear anything about DLR up here in the frozen Northeast.
This is 'WDW country', East of the Mississippi.
;)

-

Jon81uk

Look what they’ve done to party night caps, and the suspiciously low number of phase closings, compared to the recent past.
While they probably are selling more tickets, I think the way guests approach party nights has changed as well, the lines for rides are quite low as the majority of guests now want to get their money's worth and do the unique party attractions such as characters and parade. Fewer people in ride queues as they are out waiting for the parade/fireworks will make the party feel busier.

Also the Fantasyland expansion added more walking space at MK so capacity went up and that means fewer closures.

matt9112

While they probably are selling more tickets, I think the way guests approach party nights has changed as well, the lines for rides are quite low as the majority of guests now want to get their money's worth and do the unique party attractions such as characters and parade. Fewer people in ride queues as they are out waiting for the parade/fireworks will make the party feel busier.

Also the Fantasyland expansion added more walking space at MK so capacity went up and that means fewer closures.
i think overall attendance is up BUT im willing to bet money the busiest times of year have at the very least leveled out attendance wise or dropped a bit. In contrast the previously slower times of year have become far busier. its what disney wanted after all to sell the whole calendar.

monothingie

Unscrupulous Mean Girl Man since 2005
Premium Member
Just coincidently as an AP Holder I got the following survey this afternoon. I screen captured some of the more interesting questions. (Some of the responses are captured and may not reflect my finalized answers) I wonder if there is sudden realization of overreach? Other questions included thoughts about MDE and Special AP Only events.

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 4.42.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 4.43.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 4.44.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 4.45.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 4.46.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 4.46.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 4.47.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 4.49.00 PM.png

Obobru

Annual passes are far too cheap they should be valued at 10-20 full price day tickets depending on the pass type. They should stop discounts for people living in the same state as the parks and monthly payment plans should be stopped.

The annual pass holders are still getting good value at those rates and if they aren't they should buy tickets as and when they go to the parks. I suspect most go once a week so even with a pass costing 20 days they are getting half the days free and the working plus other discounts. They have had it good for far too long, they need to feel the price pain everyone else feels.

Dr. Falls

Annual passes are far too cheap they should be valued at 10-20 full price day tickets depending on the pass type. They should stop discounts for people living in the same state as the parks and monthly payment plans should be stopped.

The annual pass holders are still getting good value at those rates and if they aren't they should buy tickets as and when they go to the parks. I suspect most go once a week so even with a pass costing 20 days they are getting half the days free and the working plus other discounts. They have had it good for far too long, they need to feel the price pain everyone else feels.
I think you are definitely over-estimating how often annual pass holders go to the parks. All out-of-state passholders are at least platinum, and it's literally impossible for them to go once a week unless they have some sort of private jet. Most platinum passholders justify it as it's worth the cost if they make 2 or 3 trips a year, which also has to include hotels, food, etc.

If you raise the rate to the point that platinum passholders would have to make upwards of four trips a year, you are going to price a good many good people out in the name of making them feel some pain.

And why should monthly payment plans be stopped? There are layaway plans for most stores around Christmas time for even small purchases, it certainly makes sense to create one for such a large investment as a pass.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Misery loves company

matt9112

when you run a business its a good idea not to anger everyone in your town. the cheaper passes also have substantial block out calendar's to balance the cost. are they far cheaper than regular tickets? of course but its money left on the table. if you cut the resident deals tons of those people just wouldn't go period vs pay the new higher price (same thing applies to the monthy payment plan) you (wrongly) assume that thesd folks would just pay the higher "pain" price.

matt9112

I think you are definitely over-estimating how often annual pass holders go to the parks. All out-of-state passholders are at least platinum, and it's literally impossible for them to go once a week unless they have some sort of private jet. Most platinum passholders justify it as it's worth the cost if they make 2 or 3 trips a year, which also has to include hotels, food, etc.

If you raise the rate to the point that platinum passholders would have to make upwards of four trips a year, you are going to price a good many good people out in the name of making them feel some pain.

And why should monthly payment plans be stopped? There are layaway plans for most stores around Christmas time for even small purchases, it certainly makes sense to create one for such a large investment as a pass.
because we are mear peasants and we shouldn't be allowed any goods or services unless our pockets are brimming with dollar bills. simply plebians looking up at those above us.

Obobru

. when you run a business its a good idea not to anger everyone in your town. the cheaper passes also have substantial block out calendar's to balance the cost. are they far cheaper than regular tickets? of course but its money left on the table. if you cut the resident deals tons of those people just wouldn't go period vs pay the new higher price (same thing applies to the monthy payment plan) you (wrongly) assume that thesd folks would just pay the higher "pain" price.
I rarely go to Disney World and when I do I have a stack of 10 day none expiry tickets that will last year's as I reduced my trips there as the quality declined.

As for Florida/California residents they are owned nothing by Disney, why should residents get discounts? They provide jobs and taxes in the state they don't need to give anything to a captive audience it's illogical as those are the closest and most likely people to buy AP's and at 10-20 days value they will still be getting a good deal.

The sooner Disney puts up the prices of the annual passes and weeds out the people who go often enough to have a pass but spend the least the better. Annual passholders seem to think they are more important than they are, overly critical, lower spenders, and line cloggers. I think Disney has realised this group of people have had it far too cheap for far too long and we will see a a couple of years of high price rises for them and rightly so.

I am Timmy

I have read through every comment. And while all very interesting, (compelling, even) does anyone actually think there will be a price increase before February? As in, do I need to buy my tickets for December tomorrow? Kidding (not kidding).

Disorbust

I think what he really means is that somewhere Disney MBA's have decided that the company will no longer market to or focus on attracting that demographic/economic group. Of course they will take their money but are no longer concerned if they don't show up.

It's about the luxury market and thats it. If you can afford it great if not to bad. I priced out YBC, Tickets, free dining for 10 days in August for 3 adults and one child. I also priced out Europe for the same time, its pretty close in price. So Disney has pushed our family to other vacation destinations.

I

HauntedPirate

Premium Member

So you propose at least $2000+ for a WDW Annual Pass? And dropping any kind of discount for locals?? :hilarious: That's one of the funniest yet dumbest things I've read lately. It wouldn't make a dent in attendance, but would have a significant negative impact on the company's image, especially in the Orlando area. Things like that are a balancing act, but what you're proposing would be dropping an anvil on a see-saw.

blt1961

The Premier Passport (both WDW and DL) is up a whopping $370 per year per person to $1949+tax! I bought these for $700 when they came out and thought THAT was a lot then....

The equivalent to WDW Platinum (currently $894 at WDW) is now $1399 at DL, up $250 per year per person.

I know it's only a question of WHEN and not IF, but is a big WDW increase coming soon?

marialexus

The Premier Passport (both WDW and DL) is up a whopping $370 per year per person to $1949+tax! I bought these for $700 when they came out and thought THAT was a lot then....

The equivalent to WDW Platinum (currently $894 at WDW) is now $1399 at DL, up $250 per year per person.

I know it's only a question of WHEN and not IF, but is a big WDW increase coming soon?
We let our AP's for WDW expire at the end of 2018 and don't intend to renew them. We have been to WDW about 20 times over the years with kids and grandkids and some just us two and used annual passes most of the time. The total cost of rooms, food, etc. has finally got too high for us. We are going to take some road trips to national parks and historic sights, etc.

Top Bottom