• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Massive Ticket Price Increase at DL - is WDW next?

SourcererMark79

Are you sure the FL guests are what they care about? Out of state APs are probably a lot more valuable to them than the ones who can just make a daily trip. Im sure they will be pushing the passes with blackout dates event harder towards the locals as they seem to want to manage the crowds as much as they can bay any means other than the kind we all would like to see.
^^^^ with the years of growing economy and slightly better wages, I think a lot of locals (myself included) caught the wave of seeing the value of a gold or silver pass being 400 or 500 for the whole year. If it goes beyond 700 or 800, a lot of people (again myself included) would likely forgo the renewal

bhg469

Advertisement
^^^^ with the years of growing economy and slightly better wages, I think a lot of locals (myself included) caught the wave of seeing the value of a gold or silver pass being 400 or 500 for the whole year. If it goes beyond 700 or 800, a lot of people (again myself included) would likely forgo the renewal
It saddens me a little bit because I am working on becoming a local. Disney world was not a huge motivation for this so it is obviously not a deal breaker. I will really have to strongly weigh the benefit of having an annual pass and could easily see myself getting one maybe every few years and possibly the epcot after 4 pass in between. Even as someone who only goes once every few years and when I do, two or three days is plenty, I still would like access to epcot for the restaurants and festivals alone.

jensenrick

Sad, but I completely understand you.

By the way, if it is not too far out of the way when you visit DC this year, take some time to travel to Colonial Williamsburg also. It is about three hours away and is a great way to travel back in time but with the modern amenities (like bathrooms and restaurants) still around. They do a fantastic job with the immersion into the "theme" of the colony of Virginia just at the start of the American Revolution. Like WDW, they have their own hotels and transportation, but there are also offsite hotels nearby. For info, see www.colonialwilliamsburg.com. Dinner at the Kings Arms Tavern alone is worth the trip.

And, of course, Busch Gardens just down the road is themed as Europe in the same time period and is often cited as "the world's most beautiful theme park" with all of its trees and waterways with roller coasters built around them.
Thank you for the invite. When we were young and still lived in Connecticut, we visited, and I loved it! Plus a friend recently went to BG and highly recommended the coasters.
But, we never rent a car when we visit DC, to keep the cost of visiting low, especially with the absurd rates they get in many places just to park.

phillip9698

Disney has always been a luxury item. It's the tip of the top. It's great that so many people have been able to experience it, but it frankly wasn't meant for everyone. There's lots of regional theme parks and other less expensive attractions, state parks, and all sorts of things for people to enjoy. There's also a whole world to explore at (now) similar prices.... good lord take the kids to Europe! The result of all of this COULD be a return to to the more exclusive, higher quality experience many of us found in the 90's and before...
Disney was the same price as my local six flags for the better part of me life. The price didn't start hitting luxury levels until about 15 years ago. 30 dollars was not a luxury ticket in the 90s.

peter11435

Disney was the same price as my local six flags for the better part of me life. The price didn't start hitting luxury levels until about 15 years ago. 30 dollars was not a luxury ticket in the 90s.
Shouldn’t Disney’s prices be a premium over a place like six flags? Certainly the experiences offered at a Disney park are often of a different caliber than those at a place like six flags.

seascape

Shouldn’t Disney’s prices be a premium over a place like six flags? Certainly the experiences offered at a Disney park are often of a different caliber than those at a place like six flags.
Yes. However, Six Flags is a regional park and WDW is an international vacation destination. The two do not compete against each other. In fact many people who go to WDW yearly also have annual passes at Six Flags. What makes a WDW vacation is the total immersion from once you go under the sign welcoming you until you leave days later.

Now if you base it solely on a dollar for dollar comparison for number of days you use it and how many rides you go o n a Six Flags annual pass is a better deal. But Six Flags does not come close when you add WDW shows and fireworks. Therefore Disney should charge much more because it is a completely different experience.

BtW, if you want a truly different and enjoyable experience try camping in the Safari at Six Flags Great Adventure. We did it last year and it was very enjoyable and didn't cost that much.

phillip9698

But that wasn't the posters point. He said Disney was always a luxury ticket and that was not the case until the mid 2000s. So for most of the parks history WDW did not carry a premium price which is why people are so sensitive to it now.

As far as the experience goes, it depends on what you are looking for. As far as family vacations go, yeah Disney is better than Six Flags or Cedar Point by a considerable margin. But for thrill seekers the latter two parks absolutely lap Disney.

Last edited:

peter11435

But that wasn't the posters point. He said Disney was always a luxury ticket and that was not the case until the mid 2000s. So for most of the parks history WDW did not carry a premium price which is why people are so sensitive to it now.
I’m not saying that their prices weren’t more comparable prior to the 2000’s. However I would say the Disney parks were under valued all those years. Not that they are overcharging today.

RScottyL

This may be the straw that breaks the proverbial mouse's back. Certainly as far as I'm concerned. I'm already paying $4k/trip on average.

It's been a good run, Disney. But you're squashing the WDW hopes and dreams for families. Remember us?
I agree!

Disney is supposed to be a destination for families, however at this rate there will be a lot of families that will never be able to afford this!

tigerlight

Original Poster
Your right that Six Flags had similar gate ticket prices back then.... yet ticket prices were/are just the beginning...

Disney World has always been a luxury for those not fortunate enough to able to drive there. Accommodations, airfare, food, etc., have always made Disney vastly more expensive than a day at Six Flags for most families....

tigerlight

Original Poster
I agree!

Disney is supposed to be a destination for families, however at this rate there will be a lot of families that will never be able to afford this!
This notion that it’s supposed to be “for everyone” is very simplistic. They simply don’t have room for everyone... and the result of these much higher prices might actually be a higher quality/less crowded experience for those that can afford it (and/or save for years so they can go one time instead of every six months).

tigerlight

Original Poster
Are you sure the FL guests are what they care about? Out of state APs are probably a lot more valuable to them than the ones who can just make a daily trip. Im sure they will be pushing the passes with blackout dates event harder towards the locals as they seem to want to manage the crowds as much as they can bay any means other than the kind we all would like to see.
Bingo. The out of state APs are some of the most lucrative guests.... these are mostly wealthy families that love Disney enough to fork over $1k each per year and likely many thousands $ more each year on accommodations, dining, the works....

Chemnitz

Our trip in January, 2018 was so much more expensive than our trips in 2010 and 2012 and this time we stayed out of the parks! These ridiculous increases at the same time as Iger's salary rising to $68.6 million is getting really close to killing any chance we will return. On top of all of it, Disney underestimating how much capacity DHS needs so that SWGE could actually be enjoyed is a real kick in the Mickeys.

Sirwalterraleigh

Indeed...traveling to WDW was never “cheap”...but they did create a loyal fan base all over the world by offering value in many aspects. Once that sense is completely gone there is no going back
Are you the corporate accountant? Why do you care?!??

Or is this dumb “raise price to control crowds” nonsense still sticking?

As far as the experience goes, it depends on what you are looking for. As far as family vacations go, yeah Disney is better than Six Flags or Cedar Point by a considerable margin. But for thrill seekers the latter two parks absolutely lap Disney.
The fact that ROBERT IGER alone decided to go this course should be scrutinized. We have every right as the loyal customers it affects the most.
I’m not saying that their prices weren’t more comparable prior to the 2000’s. However I would say the Disney parks were under valued all those years. Not that they are overcharging today.
...there’s just no penetrating those shields, Captian Kirk.

They made a gobs of profit then...as they do now. They just look soulless now. That Isn’t what you should do by choice. But iger screwed up tv and that’s why the parks had to be put on the sacrificial alter in many ways. No blame is given for that but it is true.

biggy H

Bingo. The out of state APs are some of the most lucrative guests.... these are mostly wealthy families that love Disney enough to fork over $1k each per year and likely many thousands $ more each year on accommodations, dining, the works....
You would be surprised at the amount of Disney fans from the UK that have AP's.. We have had them several times over the years so we can go for 2 or3 weeks 3 times in a 12 month period.

eliza61nyc

Indeed...traveling to WDW was never “cheap”...but they did create a loyal fan base all over the world by offering value in many aspects. Once that sense is completely gone there is no going back

The fact that ROBERT IGER alone decided to go this course should be scrutinized. We have every right as the loyal customers it affects the most.

They made a gobs of profit then...as they do now. They just look soulless now. That Isn’t what you should do by choice. But iger screwed up tv and that’s why the parks had to be put on the sacrificial alter in many ways. No blame is given for that but it is true.
What happened with TV??? first let me say, I really know nothing about Igers rein of terror, lol. I admit, I'm probably the anti thesis of you guys. I go to the parks, if I have a good time I return, if I have a couple of bad visits I take a break. secondly I have stock (not through my 401K) so I'm a happy camper when I saw that value increase. I apologize if this is a stupid question but What did Iger do to TV.?

peter11435

...there’s just no penetrating those shields, Captian Kirk.

Debate should be possible without name calling and insults. Just because someone holds an opionion that differs from yours doesn’t mean they are some corporate plant. I think you’re old enough to have a civilized discussion.

I’m not saying I like paying the current prices or that lower prices wouldn’t be more beneficial for the long term health of the company. I’m saying that in comparison to other entertainment options in the world Disney (and Universals) prices seem reasonable when comparing the quality and breadth of the experience. Disney’s prices had been an absolute steal for decades which likely was one aspect of their success, but raising prices now to levels where they likely belong creates a bad taste in the public’s mouth and hurts their image. Not because the price isn’t reasonable for the product but because expectations were set years ago that are now being challenged. And yes, this is dangerous for the long term health of the product. Disney’s profits were never massive all those years but they did well enough.

Iger is not reasonable for the downfall of TV. That process, industry wide, began and will continue irrespective of any individual. He’s just responsible for using the parks as a way to make up for the innevitable changes to the corporate landscape.

Top Bottom