• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Massive Ticket Price Increase at DL - is WDW next?

HauntedPirate

Premium Member
its been beaten to death but yes ticket prices have blown inflation out of the water. i believe theres a chart or two floating around here. in the 90s prices started to really trend much higher.
The first “big” ticket price hike was in 2005, $5 on one day tickets and $30 on 3-day Park hoppers. Prior to that, it was 2 decades of $1-$2.75/year price hikes, with the notable exception of three increases in 1986. Since then, and through the Feb. 2018 price increase, the one day ticket price has increased $54.25, or 90.8%. 7 day park hoppers have increased 120% and a regular annual pass $454 (114.9%) in the same time frame. (I have a spreadsheet :) but it needs updating)

larryz

Well-Worn Member
Premium Member
Advertisement
The first “big” ticket price hike was in 2005, $5 on one day tickets and $30 on 3-day Park hoppers. Prior to that, it was 2 decades of $1-$2.75/year price hikes, with the notable exception of three increases in 1986. Since then, and through the Feb. 2018 price increase, the one day ticket price has increased $54.25, or 90.8%. 7 day park hoppers have increased 120% and a regular annual pass $454 (114.9%) in the same time frame. (I have a spreadsheet :) but it needs updating)
An idle spreadsheet is the devil's workshop...

bhg469

Im assuming "the big one" will be coming for wdw later than DL. DL has their Galaxys edge opening sooner and are probably combating the inevitable increase. WDW will be a whole different monster and I imagine that it will bump attendance resort wide for about a year or so but it will level off and eventually only studios will be mass chaos. The prices will increase but the crowds will not be influenced because they will continue to staff low, and shorten hours whenever they can.

tigerlight

Original Poster
Spreadsheet has been updated. :p

Since 2005:

One-day ticket: $59.25 increase, 99.2% (I'm using Regular season pricing for today's ticket price)
7-day PH: $267 increase, 119.7%
AP: $499 increase, 126.3%
Unless I'm missing something your AP numbers are way off....

prberk

I'm doing the same. We are going to DC and Vegas this year. I already can't justify getting a Silver again, so I let it drop in December. I've had annual passes since I moved to Fla in 92, but I have to stop.
And with prices just getting higher? My Orlando trips will all revolve around SW and I-Drive.
Sad, but I completely understand you.

By the way, if it is not too far out of the way when you visit DC this year, take some time to travel to Colonial Williamsburg also. It is about three hours away and is a great way to travel back in time but with the modern amenities (like bathrooms and restaurants) still around. They do a fantastic job with the immersion into the "theme" of the colony of Virginia just at the start of the American Revolution. Like WDW, they have their own hotels and transportation, but there are also offsite hotels nearby. For info, see www.colonialwilliamsburg.com. Dinner at the Kings Arms Tavern alone is worth the trip.

And, of course, Busch Gardens just down the road is themed as Europe in the same time period and is often cited as "the world's most beautiful theme park" with all of its trees and waterways with roller coasters built around them.

bhg469

By the way, if it is not too far out of the way when you visit DC this year, take some time to travel to Colonial Williamsburg also. It is about three hours away and is a great way to travel back in time but with the modern amenities (like bathrooms and restaurants) still around. They do a fantastic job with the immersion into the "theme" of the colony of Virginia just at the start of the American Revolution. Like WDW, they have their own hotels and transportation, but there are also offsite hotels nearby. For info, see www.colonialwilliamsburg.com. Dinner at the Kings Arms Tavern alone is worth the trip.

And, of course, Busch Gardens just down the road is themed as Europe in the same time period and is often cited as "the world's most beautiful theme park" with all of its trees and waterways with roller coasters built around them.
DC will probably be our next vacation as well. Its just so much to do and see, always something going on, and the hotels are really decently priced on the weekends, fairly easy to get around and the food options are endless. There are maybe 10 restaurants at best in WDW that are worth their price, but in that area, it is staggering. I think we may consider your suggestions as well. IMO DC is probably a much better vacation spot these days than Disney world by far.

kong1802

This is on our list!

prberk

DC will probably be our next vacation as well. Its just so much to do and see, always something going on, and the hotels are really decently priced on the weekends, fairly easy to get around and the food options are endless. There are maybe 10 restaurants at best in WDW that are worth their price, but in that area, it is staggering. I think we may consider your suggestions as well. IMO DC is probably a much better vacation spot these days than Disney world by far.
By the way, National Harbor has really grown as a destination spot there as well, since the MGM Grand was built. You can actually stay at the Gaylord National for cheaper and take the free shuttle to MGM, as well as walk (cool shops) and cruise the Potomac even across the river to Old Town Alexandria. George Washington's home, Mt. Vernon, is also just across the river a ways, off Route 1, from National Harbor. And if you get the Gaylord e-mails you will likely get a flash sale before you go that will make it really worthwhile. One other trick about DC is that people scatter on the holidays. So, on national holidays like Independence Day you have the city to yourself.

But either way I would strongly recommend a few days for Colonial Williamsburg as well. It is a national treasure. It is painstakingly restored and really a nice place.

Feel free to PM me later if your visit actually materializes, for more specific recommendations if you want them. I love both places and go often.

prberk

This is on our list!
Cool. As I told the other poster, feel free to PM me later if your visit actually materializes, for more specific recommendations if you want them. I love both places and go often.

That is really true for anyone here who might want to visit Virginia or DC. I am a native Virginian, and I can help with recommendations throughout the state and DC. At the risk of sounding like the Chamber of Commerce, I really like my state. I like WDW, too, obviously, but I am more than happy to help my fellow WDW friends find their way around the Commonwealth also! (And truth be told, it is cheaper.)

bhg469

By the way, National Harbor has really grown as a destination spot there as well, since the MGM Grand was built. You can actually stay at the Gaylord National for cheaper and take the free shuttle to MGM, as well as walk (cool shops) and cruise the Potomac even across the river to Old Town Alexandria. George Washington's home, Mt. Vernon, is also just across the river a ways, off Route 1, from National Harbor. And if you get the Gaylord e-mails you will likely get a flash sale before you go that will make it really worthwhile. One other trick about DC is that people scatter on the holidays. So, on national holidays like Independence Day you have the city to yourself.

But either way I would strongly recommend a few days for Colonial Williamsburg as well. It is a national treasure. It is painstakingly restored and really a nice place.

Feel free to PM me later if your visit actually materializes, for more specific recommendations if you want them. I love both places and go often.
Sounds great! I was just there in the summer time with my company. We do some work for major league baseball and unfortunately I wasnt able to enjoy much tourist stuff but I did spend some time at the Wharf, which I thought was very nice. Most of my time was spent between the convention center and Nationals park. We also had an evening at the african american history museum for the gala.

Top Bottom