• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Massive Ticket Price Increase at DL - is WDW next?

marialexus

Advertisement
The Premier Passport (both WDW and DL) is up a whopping $370 per year per person to $1949+tax! I bought these for $700 when they came out and thought THAT was a lot then....

The equivalent to WDW Platinum (currently $894 at WDW) is now $1399 at DL, up $250 per year per person.

I know it's only a question of WHEN and not IF, but is a big WDW increase coming soon?
We let our AP's for WDW expire at the end of 2018 and don't intend to renew them. We have been to WDW about 20 times over the years with kids and grandkids and some just us two and used annual passes most of the time. The total cost of rooms, food, etc. has finally got too high for us. We are going to take some road trips to national parks and historic sights, etc.

disneygeek90

I can renew Feb 20th... hoping that I can get it in by then before a price change. I am local so it would quite honestly need to be a drastic raise before I would consider not renewing.

floridagirl57

I have a general question, Do folks think Disney "owes" them an affordable vacation??
Do you go to a car dealer and insist the sell that car at the 1990 price?
I don't know anyone who likes price raises anywhere, vacations, food, college cost it all sucks but it does seem folks take it personally when this happens.
Just askin.
I think the issue is that these price increases have far outpaced inflation (ESPECIALLY the cost of college tuition which is an issue since the salaries of Professors have remained virtually unchanged).

HauntedPirate

Premium Member
If that's the case then why are they getting discounts at this time? Discounts bring everyone in, not just locals.
For the same reason they offered Free Dining on January 5 instead of months later - They want/need people to book vacations and fill up rooms during the promotional period. They need residents to "fill in the gaps", always have, always will. Makes you wonder why they can often view them like second-class citizens the rest of the time.

jensenrick

Don't forget parking fees for resort guests, recently.
How could I forget! I did an overnight at a Disney hotel recently- the front desk NEVER mentioned a parking fee. I figured it was because we had talked about my Silver pass, and how I'd be getting free parking at the parks. Why would parking be free at the parks, but not the hotel- especially if they expect (as she suggested) that I park at the hotel and take the bus.

Yet SURPRISE, there is parking fee on my emailed receipt. And not cheap either.

HauntedPirate

Premium Member
How could I forget! I did an overnight at a Disney hotel recently- the front desk NEVER mentioned a parking fee. I figured it was because we had talked about my Silver pass, and how I'd be getting free parking at the parks. Why would parking be free at the parks, but not the hotel- especially if they expect (as she suggested) that I park at the hotel and take the bus.

Yet SURPRISE, there is parking fee on my emailed receipt. And not cheap either.
MAGICAL!!! :banghead:

skyphotographer

For the same reason they offered Free Dining on January 5 instead of months later - They want/need people to book vacations and fill up rooms during the promotional period. They need residents to "fill in the gaps", always have, always will. Makes you wonder why they can often view them like second-class citizens the rest of the time.
Why does a resident of Pensacola Florida get a discount when a resident of Gulf Shores Alabama has to pay full price? Neither of them are locals.

monothingie

Ridiculous Protector of the Status Quo
Premium Member
I would be curious to know if any of our insiders are hearing anything regarding the state of AP renewals, negative press, and vocal complaints on social media regarding this.

Again the thing that got me was the sudden survey I got regarding AP “value” immediately after DLR jacked their pricing. The only time I get a survey is immediately after a returning from a trip.

BigThunderMatt

Disney has always been a luxury item. It's the tip of the top. It's great that so many people have been able to experience it, but it frankly wasn't meant for everyone.
This. So much this. People (not necessarily on this board but more in a general sense) more and more treat a WDW vacation like some kind of rite of passage that they're entitled to rather than a luxury they need to save up to enjoy. It boggles my mind how willingly people will go into debt or pester their friends and family for nothing but Disney Gift Cards for years on end to be able to afford to go (and then not even properly plan for it or, worse, go during the absolute worst times of the year) when it should be something they carefully save and budget for. You don't deserve a Disney vacation, you earn it.

BigThunderMatt

Why does a resident of Pensacola Florida get a discount when a resident of Gulf Shores Alabama has to pay full price? Neither of them are locals.
Because the discount is a Florida resident discount, not a Florida resident within a certain mile radius of Orlando discount. Pensacola residents are still residents of Florida no matter how close they are to the Alabama border.

jensenrick

We let our AP's for WDW expire at the end of 2018 and don't intend to renew them. We have been to WDW about 20 times over the years with kids and grandkids and some just us two and used annual passes most of the time. The total cost of rooms, food, etc. has finally got too high for us. We are going to take some road trips to national parks and historic sights, etc.
I'm doing the same. We are going to DC and Vegas this year. I already can't justify getting a Silver again, so I let it drop in December. I've had annual passes since I moved to Fla in 92, but I have to stop.
And with prices just getting higher? My Orlando trips will all revolve around SW and I-Drive.

matt9112

Is that even possible?
very possible....they went through some really rough patches with the orlando area. would hate to cause noise to get up to Tallahassee but something as blantant as that with no sound reason? might get there ear.

matt9112

I rarely go to Disney World and when I do I have a stack of 10 day none expiry tickets that will last year's as I reduced my trips there as the quality declined.

As for Florida/California residents they are owned nothing by Disney, why should residents get discounts? They provide jobs and taxes in the state they don't need to give anything to a captive audience it's illogical as those are the closest and most likely people to buy AP's and at 10-20 days value they will still be getting a good deal.

The sooner Disney puts up the prices of the annual passes and weeds out the people who go often enough to have a pass but spend the least the better. Annual passholders seem to think they are more important than they are, overly critical, lower spenders, and line cloggers. I think Disney has realised this group of people have had it far too cheap for far too long and we will see a a couple of years of high price rises for them and rightly so.
the sooner people that never visit anymore except with fat stacks of non expiring tickets pay there fair share the better. yes you sound just as absurd as i do. its an analogy.

matt9112

I think the issue is that these price increases have far outpaced inflation (ESPECIALLY the cost of college tuition which is an issue since the salaries of Professors have remained virtually unchanged).
its been beaten to death but yes ticket prices have blown inflation out of the water. i believe theres a chart or two floating around here. in the 90s prices started to really trend much higher.

Top Bottom