Massive Kissimmee hotel fire - smoke very visible from WDW property

UrbanDonovan

My family and I stayed at the Lakeview Best Western, which is a little farther west past this on 192, for a long weekend back in March. Booked the room on Hotwire for $25 a night, so my expectations were very low. But, as it turned out, we were all pleasantly surprised. So, not all of these low-rent places are death traps.

In the last couple of years, I have gotten braver when it comes to exploring out of the WDW resort. I am assuming this is the stretch on the way to the Big Orange and some of the Nike stores. This area is scary considering the proximity to WDW. If you have ever been to the Nike Clearance store, which is about 10 miles down 192, it is a scary place. I am amazed by the hotels/motels and conditions. I realize that budgets require certain types of lodging, I just don't think there is one I would stop and stay at.

Erik787

I knew places like this exist, obviously there is an industry in taking advantage of tourists, but looking at the tripadvisor reviews, I am surprised about how blatant the lies are/were.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Lodge_Maingate-Kissimmee_Florida.html#REVIEWS

They advertise transportation to the attractions. When someone showed and asked about it, they said that it stopped just a few days prior!! They advertise microwaves and fridges and none of the rooms had them.

Look at the pictures of the rooms here: http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Vacation-Lodge-Maingate/Kissimmee/35960

and compare with the ones posted by the most recent tripadvisor reviewer: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ReviewPh...acation_Lodge_Maingate-Kissimmee_Florida.html

I'm amazed travelocity lists this place/continued to list this place after receiving complaints that people said they filed with them about this establishment.

I have a question for the folks familiar with both WDW and DLR, is the surrounding area of DLR this crummy? I know the actual periphery businesses are closer and borders the parks because of the lack of space and forest buffer zone that the Florida project so thankfully had/has and I know there are lots of tourist traps and the like, but I mean the seediness of the surrounding areas. Are there places like this so close to DLR?

pax_65

I checked out this area in May after a breakfast run to the Bob Evans at Reedy Creek Blvd and 192 (which was actually really good, by the way). There are entire hotels in this area that are completely abandoned. It's like an episode of "Life Without People". It looks like parts of Detroit. Other hotels are like this one - a dump with a mix of permanent residents, unsuspecting resort guests and plenty of vacancy.

In the last decade or so, this area has really gone downhill... and especially in the last few years. Clearly the economic downturn has hurt this area tremendously - probably as Disney has offered incentives and discounts to keep people on property, business at these hotels has plummeted. It's kind of scary.

WDW-Crazy

Checking out this link that Eric787 posted:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ReviewPh...odge_Maingate-Kissimmee_Florida.html#26066582

The pics of the room pretty much confirm that this was, indeed, the Econo Lodge that we stayed at 2002 before going into WDW. We still talk about the condition of the room to this day. Doesn't surprise me that the place burned.

I also agree about the overall condition of this area. I've heard about so many motels that were closed down in the past years and the abandoned/run-down state of various businesses along that stretch. If I had to stay off-property again, I'd consider I-Drive or the Lake Buena Vista area. The only time we ever stayed off-property for an entire trip was in 1989 at the Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista on Palm Pkwy along I-4 (adjacent to the Crossroads Shopping Ctr), just a stone's throw away from the WDW entrance. I remember that was a great place to stay and it still looks like it's in excellent shape whenever we drive by it going to and from WDW.

thelookingglass

Irlo Bronson/192 is a sketchy road, but not all of the area around WDW is like that. There are plenty of great hotels and resorts outside of Disney property.

Laura

Premium Member
I have a question for the folks familiar with both WDW and DLR, is the surrounding area of DLR this crummy? I know the actual periphery businesses are closer and borders the parks because of the lack of space and forest buffer zone that the Florida project so thankfully had/has and I know there are lots of tourist traps and the like, but I mean the seediness of the surrounding areas. Are there places like this so close to DLR?

No...Harbor Blvd. is actually pretty cute if you ask me. Definitely not seedy. Everything appears to be in good condition, nice landscaping, etc.

Laura

Premium Member
I cannot stop reading the reviews of this hotel on Trip Advisor. It sounds like the most disgusting, horrible place. I can't believe it's legal for a business to falsely advertise the way they did using fake pictures and listing amenities that don't exist.

ThisKneeGuy

With all due respect to those who might have lost a lot. This sounds a heck of a lot like addition through subtraction.

I just checked the website, its running really slow. I find it funny that for only $49 I can book a room for next week... 2 double beds, (still?) smoking!
I'm sure all rooms are smoking now...:ROFLOL:

ThisKneeGuy

But seriously, it looks like the fire did the surrounding area and unsuspecting tourists a giant favor. Surprised this place went on for as long as it did.

degunter

Many Stays

I stayed here many many times between 1996 and 2003 while it was an Econolodge, mostly because it was cheap. Being from Tampa, I could not justify spending $70 plus per night (plus tax), so I would often get deals in the $30 range. The rooms were NOT plush, but back then, the rooms were not that bad. I had a few problems over 15-20 visits, the worse being a plumbing leak from the bathroom above. The rooms were clean, bed was comfortable and the air conditioning worked good, so did not expect more.

One other time in 2005 (I think) I need a room at the last minute and checked in and was shocked with how much it had gone down in just 2 years. I never booked there again and I believe shortly after it was no longer the Econolodge.

I did have many good experiences there... a lot of good memories. The staff was always helpful and even one time upgraded me to a suite right next to the pool that was basically two rooms combined with a bar and full kitchen and dining room and living room.

Hopefully the mess will be cleaned up soon and something nice with replace it soon.

tecowdw

What was the name of the now defuct motel caddi-corner from Sherberth and Black Lake Rd? It's been chain-linked fenced in for years and now even that is looking run down! That's the one I often go by when venturing off Disney property and it just seems like such an eyesore (like so many others on 192, I guess).

Was it Comfort Inn? I found it on Google Maps and it claims it is. Funny thing, when I click on the "6 reviews" for this hotel, it takes me to a hotel in French Polynesia!
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...view:smartmaps&ei=1G0KTpfgAYuSNsnK4cQE&dtab=2
:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom