Massive Jungle Cruise Wait Times

JoeCamel

I’d love to know the math on how many lightening lanes they’re selling for the likes of Guardians. Are we talking 10,000 a day? More? It’s a significant amount of additional revenue that should help justify spend on (if needed) major new attractions.
$21 x 10000 = $210,000 a day
x 180 days = $37,800,000 or ~$80M a year.
I'm not sure if it is enough to move the needle when they get $5-$6 million a day just for opening the doors at MK? (not counting merch or F&B)

UpAllNight

$21 x 10000 = $210,000 a day
x 180 days = $37,800,000 or ~$80M a year.
I'm not sure if it is enough to move the needle when they get $5-$6 million a day just for opening the doors at MK? (not counting merch or F&B)

I’d suggest that if the lightening lanes are additional and not replaced revenue, these attractions will pay for themselves very quickly on those figures. Obviously not including the additional revenue caused by increased attendance, Merchandise etc.

I may not be the most accurate reflection of the masses but we have done a few lightening lanes, and it’s been an additional expense rather than cutting back food / drink. Maybe subconsciously we spent less on Merchandise - but I do feel Disney’s offering in particular was weak for the 50th.

I think Disney are far better at monetising their parks than Universal, which is concerning as I can see replication. Their appeal partially comes through the ease, for me anyway (along with the rides!)

fgmnt

I will pay $30 extra per day on the base ticket if Disney will get rid of any and every form of line-skipping system. We all wait in the same lines, just like the old days.
You solve the cash flow problem the poor and downtrodden executives in burbank care about. you also would remove what has to be the last thin veneer of obfuscation related to the capacity crunch everyone here has seen for years. we know that the main gates in orlando have faced a level of neglect so long and so steep that it will be a herculean task for this company as currently constructed to fix, but surely joe public would grow wise to this at some point.

solidyne

It's because crowds were at a level the parks were designed to accommodate in 2020-2021. Now far more people are being stuffed in then the parks are capable of facilitating.
This, completely. I just spent two days in the parks, and all I could think about was capacity, capacity, capacity.

Jungle Cruise was great, its update and additions are well done in my opinion, and I truly had the best skipper I've ever had. In fact, cast members were terrific overall. Many went above and beyond for us.

However, everywhere you turn, it's capacity, capacity, capacity. I stood in line at "mobile order window x" with my meal ready, but there were five other people with their meals ready who had to get theirs first. Why did I bother mobile ordering? Why did I stare at my phone first to order and then again to let them know I was getting close? I think that mobile ordering has ruined (to a lesser degree) dining the same way FP/g+ ruins queuing.

Say, @Casper Gutman, I'll see your $30 and raise you $30 more to have restaurants the way they were as well, with day-of, walk-up reservations.

But they need more locations! None of this endless walking with tray in hand, looking for an empty table, walking by individuals slumped alone at four-toppers staring into their phones...

BrianLo

This is a single example, but in December I had a situation where LL was about a 20 minutes wait and backed way out of the Queue. Standby was posted around 100 minutes... but was actually a walk on.

I honestly didn't experience the fabled standby wait time inflation, except this one over the top example. I do really think they artificially are trying to keep guests out of its line.

Touchdown

Heard a bit more about this. Apparently there are some maintenance issues resulting in not enough boats being available.
That can’t be the only reason, since Covid I’ve never not been stuck for less then 5 min ideling between the elephants and unloading, if it was too few boats that wouldnt happen.

bcoachable

I’d love to know the math on how many lightening lanes they’re selling for the likes of Guardians. Are we talking 10,000 a day? More? It’s a significant amount of additional revenue that should help justify spend on (if needed) major new attractions.

They’re still needed in my opinion in all 4 of the parks. DHS and AK are an absolute mess on a busy day to the none Genie + guests. It forces the purchase and even then there’s not enough capacity by like 2pm and you’re down to bare bones.

To credit Disney before my next rant, I think the new rides are great and the parks are in better shape than my last visit pre covid.

In general though, Genie + feeds into that feeling of being ripped off. We stayed in Universal for 10 nights before moving over to Disney for 10 nights. Yeah it’s all expensive, as expected but I’ve never in my life paid for a hotel room to get “light servicing” every other day! I’ve stayed in rooms for £35 a night in the U.K. and they manage to service the rooms daily. To hide behind covid, at Disney, which is a variant in itself is beyond a joke.

It’s almost insulting to be forced up at 6am for early entry so you can make it to AK to return to a room with no coffees and beds you haven’t had time to make because you’re so wiped out. It’s not an enjoyable holiday experience - and I appreciate the hassle free nature of staying on property at Universal much more now (and the rooms that they manage to service every day)

I wonder if all of the components are working together and if anyone at Disney has taken a step back to think of the guest experience at WDW?

Hotel restaurants shut before the parks close. Bars that shut at 10pm?! Early Entrance to AK starting at 7am. Requiring endless planning, to turn up to AK where there’s about 6 people letting masses of crowds in.

Also, sorry I know this is the Jungle Cruise thread but some of the above posts triggered me, but what is going on with the half hour early entry situation? Stampedes of tired pram pushing heal clipping parents looking stressed as heck power walking to skip past people to get to rides that will be a 2 hour queue within 15 minutes of opening (before half of the early entry guests have even made it into the park - despite arriving on time). Give hotel guests that have paid a fortune an hour. I’ve heard “atleast it’s all parks now” - nonsense. The week before last Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios offered an hour to hotel guests, and half an hour to Volcano bay.

The perception of value is warped. To see such moody, stressed, stampeding crowds at 7am - it’s not the “Disney bubble” I expected staying on site. You’ll catch me at Universal next time.
Man-
you summoned up so many of the feels our family has… sorry for your / our loss.
Uni does seem to get their customers better at this point. How embarrassing for what used to be the Gold standard in guest services.

FutureCEO

I went the first week of May which I think is a sweet spot when it comes to crowds. I used G+ pretty successfully. But even the lines I waited in were not bad - caught Remy at 35min. I was worried because the reports before that were similar to yours but I had a great time.

first week of May this year was always a 45 - 90 minute wait. The only reason we went on the ride because it was 15 minutes and everyone was waiting for the fireworks

Ayla

I went the first week of May which I think is a sweet spot when it comes to crowds. I used G+ pretty successfully. But even the lines I waited in were not bad - caught Remy at 35min. I was worried because the reports before that were similar to yours but I had a great time.
I was there the first week of May and JC waits were always 60+ when I checked. We skipped it.

OG Runner

It appears Jungle Cruise has become "The Ride". I went in January and even then the wait times were at 85 minutes,
the three times I was in MK.

DisneyDreamer08

It appears Jungle Cruise has become "The Ride". I went in January and even then the wait times were at 85 minutes,
the three times I was in MK.
I was there in late January/early February. On one of my MK days, I went to Jungle Cruise at rope drop and waited 25 minutes. Waits were 60++ all day. Wild.

bcoachable

Interesting development on this whole long line thing…
After reading through this thread, I made a quick call to a few imagineers I knew who worked on the recent refurb. She mentioned that all was going well until they went to tell Trader Sam that he needed to move from his location. She said he was very miffed- and was heard saying as he sauntered off stage- “you wait here, I’ll go on a hEaD”. This may be the beginnings of the now infamous “wait here” curse he placed upon the queue…

Animaniac93-98

So I brought up 20,000 Leagues earlier in the thread and it sounds like Jungle Cruise is now as bad as that ride was.

20K was designed to move up to 1,900 people an hour, with 9 subs running in packs of 3 with load/unload set up to handle that many at a time if needed. Problem was, if the sub at the front took longer to get ready, the rest of the pack couldn't move...and there would be a trickle down effect on other subs and the line to get on. There was rarely an ideal situation where things ran that smoothly. The subs by their nature were not easy to empty and fill, even with a staircase on either end (one for loading, one for unloading). Of course, the sub couldn't do either until it was tethered to the dock and the bridge to the station was lowered in place. Martin's tribute on the ride explains all of this with video footage of this slow motion drama happening.

Jungle Cruise was designed with a similar throughput, though I don't think it could ever load/unload 3 boats at a time. Again, we seem to be seeing a similar situation with boats backing up and people taking longer to get in and out. They also can't do so until the boat is safely in place, which takes time too. The longer the dispatch interval, the longer it takes to get people through the line.

Boat rides like Small World and Pirates are designed to load/unload 2 at a time and it is much easier to get people in and out of the boats so the dispatch time is significantly shorter. Even Splash, with its smaller logs you have to kind of climb into, has an easier time getting them into place, having the gates swing open and sending them off. Jungle Cruise, by design, can't do that.

Tokyo's Jungle Cruise was a mirror image of Florida, but their load/unload process is a marvel to see. The line moves super fast and I never saw it get longer than 20 min, even when other rides were slammed. They can load more boats at a time and are faster at doing so. It's too bad that during the major rehab they didn't do more to speed up the line by redesigning the boats and load area.

More people wanting the experience the ride, people taking longer to get in and out of boats, trying to merge multiple queues and needs, a paid for skip the line system that demands a high ratio against standby to justify its value are all issues that compound and are the result of capacity simply not meeting demand (and that Disney won't try to fix). This one ride is now like a microcosm of the whole resort.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom