Trip Report Mask up for the August Alternate 2020 Trip

Hello friends! My husband and I just got back about a week ago from our WDW trip, it was strange, hot, fun, and in a way unexpected. I'll start with some quick details:

Who: Me (Am) and my husband (Brad)
When: August 6-20, 2020
Resort: Pop Century (was scheduled for All Star Sports)

Let me explain my title a little: We were scheduled to travel to WDW in June the 21st through July 5. It was going to be epic.....we would be there over our birthdays, 15th wedding anniversary, and had a couple of Magic meetups planned. That trip didn't happen. While planning our trips at home I always come up with some sort of title for our trips to give it a little excitement. Well, shortly after the shut down in March, about 2 weeks after the parks closed I had a feeling that my June trip wouldn't happen so hubs and I looked at the calendar and figured out a date when we could go to WDW, we had to plan around some of his church activities (all got cancelled) and a girls trip to California for me (cancelled too). So in late March I booked a two week stay at the Sports. But all while planning including the frustrating day in June to get park reservations and the day I cancelled June/July I was never able to build up much excitement for this August trip. So I always stayed labeled in my planning things as the August Alternate trip, how generic! So I had hope that the trip would happen but I was convinced something would happen and we wouldn't be able to go.

Fast forward to the first week of August, days before leaving. I get an email from my boss (principal) asking what my travel dates to Florida were so they could be consistent on teachers traveling and returning back to work. My return date was 4 days before I would start back to work for inservice so no time to quarantine if he asked me to! Ugh! I couldn't lie to my boss and I couldn't ignore his email. Well he didn't ask me to quarantine but he did ask that I get a Covid test upon my return and then quarantine if needed or until my results came back. He asked if I wanted to come in an work a day so that if something happened I would have had time to work to get my classroom ready and he said I could bank it as a day worked so I wouldn't have to use a day if I did quarantine. So that's what I did. In a way it was surreal to be back working in my room, which was the day before we left for WDW. As I was working in my room that day I had a flash, the last day I worked a full day in my classroom was before I went to WDW in March! Whoa! So with a fully day of work banked, suitcases packed, it looked like our Alternate trip was really happening!

*Spoiler alert: my Covid test came back negative, it was probably too early to take it when I came back but it satisfied my boss. Also neither of us have had any symptoms of Covid upon return so looks like we might have stayed safe.

Okay, let's begin......

August 6, 2020

Our flight out of Minneapolis left at 8:20 am so our plan was to wake up around 4 am get ready and drive to the airport. Who sleeps before a trip! We were up around 3am but we didn't leave until around 4:15am. I got a great parking deal at a Park n Fly for our two week park that was like $7 a day so much cheaper than the small airport lot at $15 a day! Does anyone remember the old WDW information station that used to play the song "I'm Going to Disney World"? I have that song and usually play it on the way to the airport and I played it as we pulled into the Park N Fly lot. I didn't play it before I didn't want to jinx us!

The airport was really strange, usually it is such a hub bub of activity but today it was so strange because there weren't many people. Security was a walk up and we were through in less than 2 minutes! We got breakfast at the Caribou Coffee near our gate and spent time just relaxing in our masks waiting. Our flight was on Delta and they did a great job on the flight. When we boarded we were handed wipes to wipe our area, they reminded people about masks, and during flight we were handed a snack pack in a plastic bag with water,chocolate covered pretzels, cheez-its, napkin and hand sanitizer. The middle seat was empty so we had our own row and Brad watched Star Wars something and I watched the Downton Abbey movie (I'd rewatched the series before leaving so this pleased me to rewatch movie too).

The airport in Minneapolis.
IMG_5058.JPG

Flights on time, and plane is here! It's happening! It's really happening!
IMG_5059.JPG

Waiting at the gate
IMG_5060.JPG

On the plane, looking out! Different from my last flight in March. No snow on the ground this time!
IMG_5062.JPG

Ready for flight!
IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

And we've made it to Orlando!!! Again the airport was pretty empty and we had to retrieve our own luggage this time.
IMG_5065.JPG

And here we are at Magical Express, not too many people in line. I think when we came in March this is where we started our line up to check in.
IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

There was a sign that said our wait could be an hour and the ME agent said that too but from check in to the bus pulling away it was less than 20 minutes which is shorter than some of the pre-Covid trips we have had.
IMG_5068.JPG

Coming up: arrival at WDW and will there be tears?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 7, 2020

We spent a little time on Main Street and went through the Emporium. I also caught a brief moment of Mickey and gang on the train station. We then headed back to the Pop to take a nap and relax before heading to Disney Springs later that night.

B spent a moment in front of the theater/Art of Disney where we often watch the Dapper Dans, he pretended to be recording them like he usually does. He actually threw an old video of them on his phone and was watching that as he was posing.

IMG_5345.JPG
IMG_5346.JPG

I thought this was really cool in the Art of Disney store and so did someone else. Right after I took the picture a cast member took it off the wall because someone bought it. I also thought @figmentfan423 would appreciated it.
I
IMG_5347.JPG
IMG_5349.JPG
IMG_5350.JPG
IMG_5351.JPG
IMG_5354.JPG
IMG_5355.JPG
IMG_5358.JPG
IMG_5362.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 7, 2020

After our rest at the Pop we headed to Disney Springs and wandered around to some of the stores. I didn't buy anything until Basin then I got some of the Mickey bath bombs.

We had dinner at Frontera Cocina and it was good. We shared the queso fundido with chorizo and the sharing part was a big mistake. We wished we had our own! AHAH! I think B had some tacos but I can't remember & no pictures and I had the red chile enchiladas (which by the way I made for dinner tonight using Rick Bayless' sauce). We also had more avocado margaritas! Great dinner! It was a great end to our day.

IMG_5364.JPG
IMG_5366.JPG
IMG_5370.JPG

I guess I still don't know where to look. Maybe that will be the theme of this trip: Why can't Amy look at the camera?!
IMG_5374.JPG
IMG_5375.JPG
IMG_5376.JPG
IMG_5377.JPG
IMG_5379.JPG
IMG_5383.JPG
IMG_5384.JPG

And that's all I can do tonight friends, I keep retyping what I type so I hope some of this makes sense. 😀🤪

93boomer

Premium Member
August 7, 2020

After our rest at the Pop we headed to Disney Springs and wandered around to some of the stores. I didn't buy anything until Basin then I got some of the Mickey bath bombs.

We had dinner at Frontera Cocina and it was good. We shared the queso fundido with chorizo and the sharing part was a big mistake. We wished we had our own! AHAH! I think B had some tacos but I can't remember & no pictures and I had the red chile enchiladas (which by the way I made for dinner tonight using Rick Bayless' sauce). We also had more avocado margaritas! Great dinner! It was a great end to our day.

View attachment 494364View attachment 494365View attachment 494367

I guess I still don't know where to look. Maybe that will be the theme of this trip: Why can't Amy look at the camera?!
View attachment 494368View attachment 494369View attachment 494370View attachment 494371View attachment 494372View attachment 494373View attachment 494374

And that's all I can do tonight friends, I keep retyping what I type so I hope some of this makes sense. 😀🤪
Ooo Basin store is now on my to do list this trip! DH wants to go in the Ron Jon shop. 😉

PacNWTigger

img_5313-jpg.494335

First off...I :inlove: this guy! It's nice to see CM's still being able to interact with the guests even if it is from a distance.
img_5366-jpg.494365

Secondly...I soooo miss Pleasure Island. Bring back the Adventurer's Club! Kungaloosh!!! The CM's there were always top notch. I went one year with a friend of mine on a girl's trip, and we ended up going a couple of times. The bartender we had the first night was there the second time we were there when he wasn't working...we got some extra ribbing because the CM's knew him, but it made the experience even more special.
AdventurersClubExterior.jpg

CaliKris

Thanks for the tip about Publix/Instacart. We always use Garden Grocer, but will try Instacart next time we are at WDW. Hopefully, this November.

The Peter Pan queue! I have never seen it as we always get FP+ in WDW for that ride. Really hoping we can do standby with low crowds when we are there. Thanks for posting pics of it.

Your food photos always gvie me great ideas for what to order and where to eat. Keep it up!

I hope your first day of school went well. When my kids were little, that was always a nerve wracking day as a mom. When I later worked in the school office, I couldn't sleep the night before. I can only imagine what it is like as a teacher especially in these times.

dizfan917

3 things...

I see that the castle finally coordinates with those lion / crown banners that have been hanging out there all these years. nice job.

it looks like Gaston's is opening on FRIDAY! hooray for LeFou's Brew!

that's funny... what ARE you looking at in those photos?! :geek:

I'm having a blast on your trip! 3 sleeps till ours!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ooo Basin store is now on my to do list this trip! DH wants to go in the Ron Jon shop. 😉

Basin is so great I kind of regret not buying the sugar scrub I tested out in the store but a grocery store chain in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area has a Basin section in their stores because Basin started in Minnesota. So I might check next time I'm there, but I know the Mickey bath bombs are just at Disney.

img_5313-jpg.494335

First off...I :inlove: this guy! It's nice to see CM's still being able to interact with the guests even if it is from a distance.
img_5366-jpg.494365

Secondly...I soooo miss Pleasure Island. Bring back the Adventurer's Club! Kungaloosh!!! The CM's there were always top notch. I went one year with a friend of mine on a girl's trip, and we ended up going a couple of times. The bartender we had the first night was there the second time we were there when he wasn't working...we got some extra ribbing because the CM's knew him, but it made the experience even more special.
AdventurersClubExterior.jpg

Pleasure Island was fun, I don't know if I fully appreciated it when I went. On our honeymoon, B and I got pulled on stage at the comedy club which was super embarrassing. And I didn't realize the guy in my picture was making a heart. I was just snapping pictures! Haha!

I'm so late but I'm here!!

I am also a dork who struggles with looking at the correct spot when taking a selfie, so I feel your pain! 😆

Welcome and nice to know I'm not the only dork!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the tip about Publix/Instacart. We always use Garden Grocer, but will try Instacart next time we are at WDW. Hopefully, this November.

The Peter Pan queue! I have never seen it as we always get FP+ in WDW for that ride. Really hoping we can do standby with low crowds when we are there. Thanks for posting pics of it.

Your food photos always gvie me great ideas for what to order and where to eat. Keep it up!

I hope your first day of school went well. When my kids were little, that was always a nerve wracking day as a mom. When I later worked in the school office, I couldn't sleep the night before. I can only imagine what it is like as a teacher especially in these times.

I'm glad I tried Instacart, Garden Grocer was fine but the selection was limited and it always bothered me to pay so much more. I'm hoping we can get back there in November too and that the lines are just as low!

Oh and school so far has been going okay, but the first few days are always the honeymoon period! :hilarious:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
3 things...

I see that the castle finally coordinates with those lion / crown banners that have been hanging out there all these years. nice job.

it looks like Gaston's is opening on FRIDAY! hooray for LeFou's Brew!

that's funny... what ARE you looking at in those photos?! :geek:

I'm having a blast on your trip! 3 sleeps till ours!

I saw that Gaston's was opening up. I've never tried the LeFou's Brew but I have tried the various food they've had there over the years. Enjoy the brew!

And I have no idea what I'm looking at in those pictures, maybe it is just over stimulation of being at WDW!

Yay! I just had to pop in and say how much I always enjoy your trip reports and can't wait to read more!

Thanks so much! Thanks for following along.

Your photos are excellent! Thanks for sharing with us!

Thank you!

i’m late but have enjoyed reading your posts. living here in canada it will be a while before the wife and i venture to disney world.

Hello I'm glad you are following. I hope you are able to get back to WDW soon.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 8, 2020 Hollywood Studios day!

One of the perks of the Pop is the Skyliner so we got to the line for the Skyliner plenty early so we could be one of the first groups on. As it got closer to the time to open we were informed that the Skyliner wouldn't be working that morning! (nor as it turns out for the next three mornings) So it was a mad dash and chaos at the bus lines. But soon we arrived at the Studios and had a short wait at the temperature checks before entering the park. B and I headed right away for Mickey's Runaway (MMRR) Railway and to our delight they were loading early and we were on like the 3 or 4th train, the bummer was there was no pre-show so I pulled that up on You Tube and we watched it while waiting.

IMG_5389.JPG

Who's number one!!?!
IMG_5392.JPG

Waiting in the temp screen line because security wasn't open yet.
IMG_5394.JPG

Racing the crowds down Hollywood Blvd.
IMG_5395.JPG

Nothing can stop us now, not even Goofy's crazy antics!
IMG_5398.JPG

Hey the Great Moving Ride is showing!
IMG_5400.JPG

After MMRR it was a little after 9:30am so we headed to Galaxy's Edge and decided to relax a bit in the relaxation station. We waited there until 10 am when the park opened and we tried for our boarding group.
IMG_5406.JPG
IMG_5407.JPG
IMG_5409.JPG
IMG_5412.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 8, 2020 Hollywood Studios

Turns out we had some luck with our boarding group, so B is a little superstitious so every time we went to HS this trip we had to do MMRR first, then got to the relaxation station in Galaxy's Edge to try for our boarding group. Our boarding group was not 30 minutes away, it was called just minutes later. And soon we were on our way to Rise of the Resistance.
IMG_5413.PNG

IMG_5417.JPG

Again..where is the camera?
IMG_5418.JPG

And some scenes from Rise. It was as excellent as we remembered from March. Actually the 1st Order cast members in the masks and face shields made them seem a little more sinister in their role!
IMG_5421.JPG
IMG_5429.JPG
IMG_5435.JPG
IMG_5451.JPG
IMG_5461.JPG

After that we decided to head to Star Tours and because of distancing the line snaked through the little Ewok forest area, I hadn't been through that area in ages!
IMG_5465.JPG

93boomer

Premium Member
Basin is so great I kind of regret not buying the sugar scrub I tested out in the store but a grocery store chain in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area has a Basin section in their stores because Basin started in Minnesota. So I might check next time I'm there, but I know the Mickey bath bombs are just at Disney.

Pleasure Island was fun, I don't know if I fully appreciated it when I went. On our honeymoon, B and I got pulled on stage at the comedy club which was super embarrassing. And I didn't realize the guy in my picture was making a heart. I was just snapping pictures! Haha!

Welcome and nice to know I'm not the only dork!
Oh that’s nice to have one near you!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 8, 2020

Hello R3X, we'll see you later at Oga's!
IMG_5466.JPG

After Star Tours we headed for Baseline Taphouse and it was a popular place but we found a spot to sit outside. I really love this place it makes me feel very chill. We also got a bit buzzed by our drinks.
IMG_5468.JPG

I know the beers I got were the Hefeweizen (yum), Hazy Little Thing IPA (I love me a hazy IPA!), Stone Delicious IPA (good, not a favorite), and the Blood Orange Cider. The Blood Orange Cider got a good review @coachwnh in his trip report so I was game to try it. Sorry Coach, I thought it was pretty bad. I will say that I am not a cider fan but I do like orange flavors but still....I drank it down as quick as I could (because I'm from Wisconsin and we don't waste beer or liquor here) and enjoyed the rest of the beers.
IMG_5469.JPG

We got the pretzel....yum! Hubs loves the mustard and I love the cheese so we don't fight over the condiments.
IMG_5470.JPG

B was feeling fiesty and I finally got a picture of him without his had telling me I was number one. He's enjoying his double scotch and soda, his new rum and coke (flash back for past readers). We also got the charchutterie but we don't care for blue cheese and they happily subbed it out with an extra goat cheese....nice!
IMG_5473.JPG

View from the Baseline.
IMG_5474.JPG

And back into Galaxy's Edge to bum around and do Smuggler's Run.
IMG_5475.JPG

We ran into Vi on the run from the troopers. It was fun to see the characters out in SWGE still.
IMG_5480.JPG

As we came upon the Falcon it was so strange to see Galaxy's Edge so empty, we hadn't seen SWGE this empty since our reservation day shortly after it opened at Disneyland and even then it wasn't as empty. Again so cool to experience but sad too.
IMG_5482.JPG
IMG_5484.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom