Marvel's The Eternals

Jedijax719

The industry is in such a pickle. We have the MCU and everything else is just flat. Remember 2000-2010 when we had a bunch of franchises: LOTR, Potter, Spiderman, Pirates, SW(prequels), Shrek, Transformers, Twlight (yuck!), Batman (not to mention the start of the MCU)....as well as standalones that were big like Avatar, Passion of Christ, DaVinci Code, Gladiator.

If one movie or even franchise fell a bit, there was always a few others to take up the slack. Now, I know the pandemic is to blame for much of the void, but at some point, we'll need to get back to a time when there's a variety out there. Otherwise, it's all about streaming going forward.

Disneyfanman

Look, a family outing for a film is at least 70 or 80 bucks for me. Do critic reviews help me decide which films to support? They absolutely do, and if I am going to 1 film a month I am going to read reviews first. Period. I may still go to the Eternals, but prior to the RT stuff it was on my must see list. I like RT. It helps me knock out films that aren’t worth my time AND it has called my attention to films I may have missed. Take RT out of the discussion. Disney made a film here that a lot of people don’t like. That’s the issue here. RT isn’t. Just my opinion of course.

Ghost93

Look, a family outing for a film is at least 70 or 80 bucks for me. Do critic reviews help me decide which films to support? They absolutely do, and if I am going to 1 film a month I am going to read reviews first. Period. I may still go to the Eternals, but prior to the RT stuff it was on my must see list. I like RT. It helps me knock out films that aren’t worth my time AND it has called my attention to films I may have missed. Take RT out of the discussion. Disney made a film here that a lot of people don’t like. That’s the issue here. RT isn’t. Just my opinion of course.
Personally, I loved Eternals, but it's the type of movie that simply won't be to everyone's tastes. Everyone says Thor the Dark World wasn't good, but you don't have people that actively hate it. Whereas Eternals seems to be provoking much stronger reactions from people. There are many people who really, really LOVE the film and will fiercely defend it while at the same time there are people who seem to have a seething hatred for it.

I recommend checking it out though to make up your own mind.

I will say though, this film didn't remind me much of a Marvel movie. There are elements of Eternals that reminded me of Cloud Atlas, Darren Aronofsky's Noah, Ang Lee's Hulk and Zack Snyder's Watchmen. I mean that as a compliment, but I know all four of those movies split audiences, so take from that what you will.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney made a film here that a lot of people don’t like.
Well, a lot of *critics* didn't like...

1636489108841.png

There are 10 MCU movies that get a lesser audience rating than Eternals. And two others tied with it. For audiences, Eternals is right in the middle of the pack of MCU movies.

Jedijax719

This should definitely be done. And, while they are at it, they should make a sequel series as well. That's something that many said should have been done with this. I think it would be a huge hit for D+ and could right any wrongs that may have been done.

waltography

For what it's worth, I really liked Eternals. It's definitely slow to start and you're not really sure what to expect in the beginning, but you get wrapped up in the scale and scope of the story they're telling, and it really, really works for the most part. It's an ambitious family drama.

erasure fan1

And, while they are at it, they should make a sequel series as well. That's something that many said should have been done with this. I think it would be a huge hit for D+ and could right any wrongs that may have been done.
While I haven't seen eternals yet, it does seem like the type of thing that a D+ series would have been better for. If you weren't going to introduce some of the characters and backstory in another Mcu project. A D+ mini series would have really worked.

Disneyfanman

Well, a lot of *critics* didn't like...

View attachment 599636

There are 10 MCU movies that get a lesser audience rating than Eternals. And two others tied with it. For audiences, Eternals is right in the middle of the pack of MCU movies.
After seeing it I totally understand. I really enjoyed it, however, it was at least 30 minutes too long and certainly not to everyone's tastes. My son and friend both liked it too. I would place it in the middle of the pack of Marvel films (right where you say it fell with audiences). In particular, I enjoyed Angelina Jolie's performance of Thena. I thought it was a perfect match of actor and role. I also think (I hate saying this) that it would have benefitted being a mini-series instead of a film. The pacing really fit that forum IMHO, and I think it would have been much better received if it had been delivered that way to the audience.

Ghost93

As a fan of Eternals I hope it does well on Disney Plus and more and more people come to appreciate it. It's an underrated gem, and it has far more creativity than any other Marvel project that came out in 2021 (with the exception of WandaVision).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom