Marvel's The Eternals

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The only thing this impacts is perhaps Chloe Zhao being invited back for the sequel - even that probably comes down to box office.

Kevin Feige's job is beyond untouchable, he's literally the highest grossing producer of all time. All the more laughable since they JUST successfully launched another unknown character last month. I'd say Kevin Feige would need to have a solid decade of disappointments before Disney would even consider letting him go.
When was the last time Disney dumped a movie studio lead for poor performance?

DCLcruiser

Didn't Disney go bonkers when they saw the first cut? This is supposed to be an amazing movie.

I can't wait to see it on Saturday.

Jedijax719

Quite possibly the most damning press the week of release. Can't have that much of an impact if it doesn't have to be revisited. The press for this movie lately has been sadly dour.

Ghost93

Quite possibly the most damning press the week of release. Can't have that much of an impact if it doesn't have to be revisited. The press for this movie lately has been sadly dour.
I think what the producer meant to say was that Eternals may not have a second solo film, but that the characters and concepts introduced (such as the celestials) will play a part in the MCU going forward.

However, the way it comes across in that quote was that he's ashamed of the product and that this will be an irrelevant detour never referenced again. It was a really, really stupid thing to say from a marketing standpoint.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think what the producer meant to say was that Eternals may not have a second solo film, but that the characters and concepts introduced (such as the celestials) will play a part in the MCU going forward.

However, the way it comes across in that quote was that he's ashamed of the product and that this will be an irrelevant detour never referenced again. It was a really, really stupid thing to say from a marketing standpoint.
You're just angling to have your Black Knight character included in more MCU movies, Kit!!

Jedijax719

Yeah that sounds like what it is. The last thing you want to do in the week of release is say that a sequel isn't necessary. Whatever is to be meant by it, it is a VERY dangerous thing in this day and age. It comes across as if to say that people don't really need to see it at all. Very bad press and very bad timing.

I'm going to go bold and say that this movie opens at around $50-$60 million and ends up at no more than $150-$160 million domestic. If they waited with the embargo and the press viewings, it may have done better.

But you can be assured there WILL be a Black Knight movie.

Ghost93

You're just angling to have your Black Knight character included in more MCU movies, Kit!!
I completely forgot that my avatar was Jon Snow, lol. I've not seen Eternals, but most of the reviews have had positive things to say about Kit Harrington's character Dane Whitman — with the common complaint that the movie should have had more of him. Even if Marvel decides to move away from the Eternals, I think they'll probably give Dane a solo movie or have him be featured prominently in another Marvel movie.

Jedijax719

The biggest impact this movie will have on the MCU is how new MCU properties will be done in the future. Shang Chi, a mostly formulaic film (from what I read) was viewed VERY well. Eternals, something new in form (also from what I read) is getting clobbered. The next 6 MCU films are all known property sequels. It is going to be a while before something new will be made. Even when they are (FF and Blade) they will be reboots. So this was THE last foray into a new MCU realm for a couple of years.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The biggest impact this movie will have on the MCU is how new MCU properties will be done in the future. Shang Chi, a mostly formulaic film (from what I read) was viewed VERY well. Eternals, something new in form (also from what I read) is getting clobbered. The next 6 MCU films are all known property sequels. It is going to be a while before something new will be made. Even when they are (FF and Blade) they will be reboots. So this was THE last foray into a new MCU realm for a couple of years.
Remember the D+ shows are part of the MCU as well. While some won't have a direct impact on the movies themselves, some will.

We have 3 new properties being introduced into the MCU in 2022 alone via D+:

Ms. Marvel
Moonknight
She-Hulk

And at least one more on the way to D+ (2023?) with:

Ironheart

Not to mention that Kate Bishop is being introduced in Hawkeye this month. And while it has Hawkeye's name on it, meaning Renner's character, its technically Kate Bishop's show as she is taking over the mantle in the MCU.

And I expect to hear about some more new MCU shows on Nov 12th for Disney+ Day.

And with Ms. Marvel for example we already know she'll be in The Marvels movie in 2023. And with Kate Bishop being introduced as Hawkeye they will likely be doing a Young Avengers movie in Phase 5. And not to mention that new properties that will continued to be introduced via MCU movie sequels, such as America Chavez in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

Long story short, they have access to thousand of characters that haven't even been introduced yet into the MCU. So no matter what happens to Eternals there will always be some new Marvel property around the corner being introduced into the MCU.

The Grand Inquisitor

Yikes that's not a good sign. This was always going to be marvel's biggest risk ever since it was announced. I'm a big marvel comic fan and I never heard of the eternals until the movie was announced. I guess they really should cut out some characters and maybe focus on like 5 or 6. I'm still going to see it on Friday with my friends to celebrate my 21st birthday. I hope it's good! Kumail Nanjiani is great and I hope he will be great in the movie.

Jedijax719

Thing is this. Sure, Eternals was a risk because it was new. So was Shang Chi. But the same old "whew, at least we have another Spiderman, Doctor Strange, Thor, and Black Panther coming next year" will get old VERY soon, hopefully. The reason I say hopefully is that at some point, there HAS to be a new slew of stories and characters, from the MCU AND others. If not, we will get to a point where the MCU fizzles and we are in a time period like the late 1980's (before Batman). If the MCU is the only franchise that is truly alive and it begins to fade, where does that leave movie theaters? The MCU is the only thing saving theaters and keeping them open right now. That can't last forever, can it?

Jedijax719

Looking at other Disney films that had such low ratings:

Rise of Skywalker-the movie had a tough hill to climb after The Last Jedi (from audience dislike) and it was clear that the movie was a panic move that didn't pay off. It still did well but probably left at least $100 million on the domestic table and at least $500 million on the WW table. But again, it had a REALLY tough hill to climb.

Lion King: The RT score was a surprise. However, audiences generally liked it and, while predictions were through the roof, nobody can complain about $545 million domestic and over $1.5 billion WW. The RT critic score didn't hurt it. BUT this was a known commodity and a beloved one at that. it was a duplicate which is kind of what people wanted.

Aladdin: This was the biggest surprise of all. Or was it? The RT score didn't come out until a day before release. This was deemed to be a failure well before its release. But the audiences loved it. Like Lion King, it was a known and loved commodity and everyone agreed that Will Smith knocked it out of the park. Audiences loved it and it had unimagineable legs.

Maleficent: Neither a good RT nor audience score. But somehow, it exceeded expectations because of a lack of family films that summer.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Animaniac93-98

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom