Marvel's Spider Man : Homecoming

spacemt354

Chili's
No American films get released in China over the summer due to rules to protect the Chinese film industry, so all "foreign" releases from the summer are delayed there. If Ant-Man and Dr. Strange can make $100M in China (they did), Spider-Man easily should as well.
Dr. Strange was not a summer film, so it was not impacted by the extended delay.

However, Ant-Man is a promising statistic (it was at the time Marvel's 2nd largest opening in China next to Age of Ultron) but with predicting box office I'd rather aim modestly and leave room to be surprised. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up.

doctornick

Spider-Man: Homecoming made over $70 million opening weekend in China (I've seen both $70.3M and $70.8M cited). It's made over $820M worldwide already. Depending on how well it holds up in China, it might become the highest world wide draw for a Spider-Man film of all time (granted, that is not taking into account inflation). Not bad for a film some write off early in its release.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Spider-Man: Homecoming made over $70 million opening weekend in China (I've seen both $70.3M and $70.8M cited). It's made over $820M worldwide already. Depending on how well it holds up in China, it might become the highest world wide draw for a Spider-Man film of all time (granted, that is not taking into account inflation). Not bad for a film some write off early in its release.

It's now the 2nd highest grossing of the 6 modern S-M's. It had the 2nd lowest budget. It has the 2nd highest critical acclaim.

S-M 1.3 and 2.2 killed their series because of low critical acclaim even though they made a lot of money (because of how well their predecessors did). So, the new S-M 3.1 is in the perfect spot to keep the new series of Holland's S-M going with high gross and high praise.

Talk about the power of the Chinese Market, this movie, Wolf Warriors 2, suddenly popped into 4th place on the global gross list for 2017 at $866 million from China alone.

Global gross list: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2017

Also... use that list to laugh at anyone who says "superhero movie fatigue" or "sequel fatigue" or "reboot fatigue". Yes, there are superhero and sequel and reboot movies that fail, but there are enough that do well that it's not about it being a superhero, sequel, or reboot movie. And S-M: Homecoming is all three!

Princess Leia

Kevin Feige Confirms SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Sequel Will Be A Global Movie Set Primarily Outside Of NYC
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spid...al-movie-set-primarily-outside-of-nyc-a159871
I’m sure that Peter could be studying abroad with his school, but Tom Holland will be 23 by the time the movie comes out. I think the original plan was for each Spidey movie to correspond with a year in High School (Homecoming-sophomore, sequel- junior, third sequel- senior), but I think it might be best to follow the predecessors’ route and have him be out of high school for the next movie (or at the very least show his high school graduation).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, Homecoming did venture outside of NYC with a trip to DC and a flight over New England (which crashed on a Long Island beach??? that part seems a bit muddled).

Princess Leia

Michael Keaton Returns as The Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming 2!
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...rns-as-the-vulture-in-spider-man-homecoming-2
Are they still going with the ‘one movie for another year in high school’ idea like the article says? Because Peter was a sophomore in Homecoming, and was maybe a junior for Infinity War (though his age wasn’t mentioned).

The Sinister Six would be pretty cool to see onscreen though, as long as they’re introduced and casted correctly.

Bairstow

I wonder if the Spiderman movies would be the appropriate place to fold in a character or two from the Netflix Daredevil series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom