Marvel vs Star Wars: The Tale of Two Different Ways Disney Implements Properties

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh I would not be surprised. As a Marvel fan, it was always said that Disney would never get Spider-Man back. They were doing fine without him, they didn't need him, thus they wouldn't make the effort. They were wrong. Then they said the same thing about the even crazier X-Men and Fantastic Four. They were wrong then as well. So don't rule out the possibility of it happening. Also don'y count on it.

Disney makes free money from USO and their parks cross promote each other.

On the other hand - Comcast doesn’t want to pay to Re-theme there park with popular IP already in place.

Parks are not movie studios...the dynamics are completely different

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's baffling all right. There's not much puppet merch even in the WDW gift shop that's supposed to be dedicated to them. And why? The merch doesn't sell. NO, Disney's not being mean to the poor little feltwads by not putting more merch in there. It's not there because it doesn't sell. Period. I think the reason the theater show, despite being very dated (please spare me the "Last Thing That Jim Henson Worked On And Thus Must Remain Forever A Shrine" crap) is that TDO is too cheap to change it out. Not that it won't happen someday. I think that's pretty much guaranteed. They were kicked out of their theater at Disneyland and now something much better is in their place. So I think it's only a matter of time (and budget) that they'll lose their place at WDW too. You'll notice that they're not in any other Disney park worldwide. So again, I think their eviction is only a matter of time. We'll see...
Mgm is still horribly underbuilt for an 8 figure annual crowd.

They hold onto things too long because they simply never have had enough.

They underbuilt the toy story land...and are underbuilding Star Wars as well...they’ll never learn

BlakeW39

Disney makes free money from USO and their parks cross promote each other.

On the other hand - Comcast doesn’t want to pay to Re-theme there park with popular IP already in place.

Parks are not movie studios...the dynamics are completely different
Universal has zero incentive to hjelp out Disney.

Even keeping The IP by having one ride for Marval and Simpsons is worth it just to block Disney.

It isn't about Universal wanting to 'help' Disney. Or even about the plausibility of a potential deal. I'm saying to rule it out or anything close to it is silly, because we don't know. Yes film is different. But people on sites like this (only dedicated to film) who thought they knew exactly what would happen were proven wrong... and so could we. I wouldn't count on it, but I wouldn't count against it either.

BlakeW39

How didn’t they?

They built the same thing and 2 measley rides in Orlando as they did for about 60% of the crowd in Anaheim...

You’ll see...this isn’t going to go well. Unless it’s just not that popular...then it will be “ok”

Big time. SW:GE is going to be a mess with nothing else coming along to balance it out. Pandora was crazy and it is no Star Wars...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It isn't about Universal wanting to 'help' Disney. Or even about the plausibility of a potential deal. I'm saying to rule it out or anything close to it is silly, because we don't know. Yes film is different. But people on sites like this (only dedicated to film) who thought they knew exactly what would happen were proven wrong... and so could we. I wouldn't count on it, but I wouldn't count against it either.

This always comes back to the same thing: there is no reason for either side to break the contract

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe so. But then again it's been said before and proven wrong. I'm not saying it's going to happen but anything is possible.
Somebody had said that they won’t break the contract and in fact...they have broke the contract?

You can’t lump the universal licensing deal in with them working on Spider-Man with Sony.

All things are not equal.

So they break the deal...pay Comcast and give up free, no overhead profit.

For what? to spend $2 billion in new construction - not to mention untold costs for infrastructure and long term overhead - to build new mini lands for you and I to enjoy? And maybe marginal rises in attendance, revenue and profit?

Those questions have to be answered to ever have a real debate on this. They never have been.

BlakeW39

Somebody had said that they won’t break the contract and in fact...they have broke the contract?

You can’t lump the universal licensing deal in with them working on Spider-Man with Sony.

All things are not equal.

So they break the deal...pay Comcast and give up free, no overhead profit.

For what? to spend $2 billion in new construction - not to mention untold costs for infrastructure and long term overhead - to build new mini lands for you and I to enjoy? And maybe marginal rises in attendance, revenue and profit?

Those questions have to be answered to ever have a real debate on this. They never have been.

There is no debate to be had; that why I'm not debating. It's pointless, it'll either happen or it won't, but to make a claim thus far is worthless because (to my knowledge, at least) Disney nor Universal have been speaking directly on the matter in either direction, so.... it's all speculation, be it good or bad.

No Name

I don't think your complaint is very true, and any nuggets of truth have reason. Let me explain.

The reimaginings, as Disney calls them, of attractions like DCA's ToT to Mission Breakout are because Chappie was appalled that there were no Marvel attractions in the parks upon his takeover in 2015. Star Tours already existed, but nonetheless, Hyperspace Mountain was approved for multiple parks. Star Wars lands were in the cards in 2015 because the IP was widely considered the stronger and more hyped one at the time. But now they are building major new Marvel attraction(s) in Florida, California, Hong Kong, Paris, and there are rumors about Shanghai. Also, the world of Marvel is our world for the most part, so the focus is understandably slightly more attraction-based than land-based.

I think Marvel might be getting the better end of the stick. However, the very notion that the popularity of an IP should correlate to the quality of a theme park land makes me question whether you really value quality in themed entertainment anyway, but that's another can of worms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom