Marvel vs Star Wars: The Tale of Two Different Ways Disney Implements Properties

aliceismad

This is the exact reason I made this thread. They can do this right (similar to Galaxy’s Edge). Marvel is a property adored by literally billions of people. Why cheap out and make a crappy shell of a land. Once again, this could be great but I don’t know I’m getting an off vibe.
I'm curious at to what it would look like if the "do it right" by your standard. I've seen all the Marvel moviews going back to the first Blade or so, but if I close my eyes, I can't fathom a quintessential setting that encompasses Marvel. Meanwhile what they made for Star Wars, even though a "new" place in the SW universe, is really quite close to what I would picture. It feels right, even if it's a place I haven't seen before in a movie or comic book.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I'm curious at to what it would look like if the "do it right" by your standard. I've seen all the Marvel moviews going back to the first Blade or so, but if I close my eyes, I can't fathom a quintessential setting that encompasses Marvel. Meanwhile what they made for Star Wars, even though a "new" place in the SW universe, is really quite close to what I would picture. It feels right, even if it's a place I haven't seen before in a movie or comic book.

I mean I’m curious to see how they would “do it right” also but cmon you are telling me the best way they can do a for example Spider-Man Ride is to do a midway mania type system. I find that hard to believe they can’t do something more ambitious I love midway Mania and the shooter games. I even go out of my way to make sure I ride them every visit. For Spider-Man though, I can’t help but think he deserves better, I’m also particularly scared since ant-man left much to be desired. WDI are extremely creative people I’m sure someone much smarter then myself could come up with something interesting. I’m even fine with the Avengers Campus idea but just make the rides ambitious. Like a Dr. Strange Scantum ride, maybe a Wakandan battle, hell a full out avengers ride (which I can’t judge since we don’t know anything about it). Would be amazing. Point is yes the universe may not be as interesting but the characters are. For all I know this idea could be amazing and I’m missing something here. Maybe mounting the webshooters on the guests wrists is an interesting twist I could be wrong guess we will have to see.

AugieMorosco

I agree with this - Marvel doesn't have a defined look. Star Wars locations, for the most part, all exist with a few similar types of aesthetic. Something can "look like Star Wars". Marvel lacks this.

I would also extend with these two ideas:
1) Until Galaxy's Edge, Star Wars got pretty much the same treatment. Granted it wasn't very long, but their representation in the parks was limited like Marvel is now.
2) Obviously, Disney cannot/would not do SW:GE expansion simultaneously with another major land expansion. It is possible they are completing SW:GE and trying to figure out a contractual way to do their full-on Marvel expansion down the road, without the current limitations on their Imagineers.

aliceismad

I mean I’m curious to see how they would “do it right” also but cmon you are telling me the best way they can do a for example Spider-Man Ride is to do a midway mania type system. I find that hard to believe they can’t do something more ambitious I love midway Mania and the shooter games. I even go out of my way to make sure I ride them every visit. For Spider-Man though, I can’t help but think he deserves better, I’m also particularly scared since ant-man left much to be desired. WDI are extremely creative people I’m sure someone much smarter then myself could come up with something interesting. I’m even fine with the Avengers Campus idea but just make the rides ambitious. Like a Dr. Strange Scantum ride, maybe a Wakandan battle, hell a full out avengers ride (which I can’t judge since we don’t know anything about it). Would be amazing. Point is yes the universe may not be as interesting but the characters are. For all I know this idea could be amazing and I’m missing something here. Maybe mounting the webshooters on the guests wrists is an interesting twist I could be wrong guess we will have to see.
Ahh. My misunderstanding was that your primary concern was the setting and immersion factor. It's hard to tell what the rides will be. I would assume quality-wise, they'll be somewhere between Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land. That's just my impression. It would be a huge flop if people came away from Star Wars Land and were disappointed by the rides, or the setting, etc. I don't know that Marvel has that pull. Yes, there is a dedicated audience, but is it really going to draw massive interest and crowds the way Star Wars could?

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Ahh. My misunderstanding was that your primary concern was the setting and immersion factor. It's hard to tell what the rides will be. I would assume quality-wise, they'll be somewhere between Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land. That's just my impression. It would be a huge flop if people came away from Star Wars Land and were disappointed by the rides, or the setting, etc. I don't know that Marvel has that pull. Yes, there is a dedicated audience, but is it really going to draw massive interest and crowds the way Star Wars could?

The answer to your last question is probably not. I’m more interested in a Star Wars themed land for reasons stated by @AugieMorosco

I agree with this - Marvel doesn't have a defined look. Star Wars locations, for the most part, all exist with a few similar types of aesthetic. Something can "look like Star Wars". Marvel lacks this.

I would also extend with these two ideas:
1) Until Galaxy's Edge, Star Wars got pretty much the same treatment. Granted it wasn't very long, but their representation in the parks was limited like Marvel is now.
2) Obviously, Disney cannot/would not do SW:GE expansion simultaneously with another major land expansion. It is possible they are completing SW:GE and trying to figure out a contractual way to do their full-on Marvel expansion down the road, without the current limitations on their Imagineers.

It would have a very big splash and attendance spike (which let’s face it that’s what Disney is after either way). It would be hard to capture an audience’s interest like Star Wars...but on the other hand if one franchise could do it...would definitely be marvel.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
South Texas. The Florida Project is too busy already. Time to move on, and South Texas is the only other US locale that will support a four-season resort experience. Two parks initially: Disney's Marvel Universe (Take THAT, Universal!) and Disney's Worlds of Star Wars.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The other problem with Marvel is it’s a very US centric action movie. The majority of the key figures are Americans.

In fact most of the key figures come out of New York (Tony Stark, Peter Parker, Captain America)

In this age of international diversity that a problem. Star Wars holds the edge there since it’s non regional

Star Wars is a NATO franchise...

It’s history of popularity is North America, Western Europe and Japan.

Just look at the box office.

So that “American” criticism of marvel is probably less true than Star Wars in reality.

And the Chinese don’t seem to care. They find the marvel movies fun...they don’t find the Star Wars as such.

Animaniac93-98

The other problem with Marvel is it’s a very US centric action movie. The majority of the key figures are Americans.

In fact most of the key figures come out of New York (Tony Stark, Peter Parker, Captain America)

In this age of international diversity that a problem. Star Wars holds the edge there since it’s non regional

Endgame has made over $1.7 billion at the FOREIGN box office ($600 million more than what The Force Awakens made and $1 billion more than The Last Jedi). The MCU is a global phenomenon, which is why Disney is building Marvel rides in Hong Kong and Paris.

Despite its space setting, Star Wars is much more of a US/UK thing. Disney currently has no plans to build more Star Wars attractions in its Asian parks, despite the billions being invested in DisneySea, Shanghai and HKDL.

BlakeW39

It probably is driven by a few things. Contracts with Universal might annoy them enough not to go all in. But in general, Marvel is harder to do since it's sort of more than a franchise; it's a universe. Yes Star Wars has a variety of locations but overall it all follows a similar thread of world building and design. Marvel is collection of franchises all existing together but vastly different. Therefore there is no one design or theme that is Marvel. A Wakanda land with equatorial African futuristic design, a Jack Kirby style cosmic location, or of course a big New York all are very different.

I know they probably wouldn't want to but they could do a comic art style land. Not so realistic. But if there best bet is New York... do they need to find some way to make it more fantastical? Maybe so. Something to consider. Obviously Marvel has a massive audience that's at least as big as Star Wars today, so it could be successful. We'll see what DCA is like.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
South Texas. The Florida Project is too busy already. Time to move on, and South Texas is the only other US locale that will support a four-season resort experience. Two parks initially: Disney's Marvel Universe (Take THAT, Universal!) and Disney's Worlds of Star Wars.

As always...the people interested in going to Texas already live there...

I hear there’s a lot of waterfront property in Houston right now...so that could be a selling point 🤭

Fox&Hound

I completely agree with the original poster. I find Disney's treatment of Marvel to be very underwhelming. All you need to do is look at their latest Ant Man and the Wasp ride to see how little they are putting into it. I may be wrong, but I feel like a buyout/deal is around the corner for FL so that they can use the Marvel characters everywhere and that DIS is waiting for that to happen, and Star Wars to be built, so they can really pull the trigger. Imagine is DHS has Star Wars, Pixar, and Marvel. It would quickly become one of the most popular Disney parks...

Cmdr_Crimson

Take a look at The Muppets..It's the complete opposite..From having an immersive muppet area to downgrading it to a modern LA suburb..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I completely agree with the original poster. I find Disney's treatment of Marvel to be very underwhelming. All you need to do is look at their latest Ant Man and the Wasp ride to see how little they are putting into it. I may be wrong, but I feel like a buyout/deal is around the corner for FL so that they can use the Marvel characters everywhere and that DIS is waiting for that to happen, and Star Wars to be built, so they can really pull the trigger. Imagine is DHS has Star Wars, Pixar, and Marvel. It would quickly become one of the most popular Disney parks...
The Star Wars lands are something that was desperately wanted for 30+ years since the underwhelming debut of star tours.

So they finally are getting around to it. But another side is Star Wars is on a downward trajectory for Disney...so the lands are more of a necessity to maintain popularity...hence the Star Wars hotel. They may be “playing it out”

Marvel is not in that position.
Take a look at The Muppets..It's the complete opposite..From having an immersive muppet area to downgrading it to a modern LA suburb..
Muppets just don’t sell. Disney has shown a fascination/loyalty to it that’s hard to explain. But it is what it is.

Magenta Panther

The Star Wars lands are something that was desperately wanted for 30+ years since the underwhelming debut of star tours.

So they finally are getting around to it. But another side is Star Wars is on a downward trajectory for Disney...so the lands are more of a necessity to maintain popularity...hence the Star Wars hotel. They may be “playing it out”

Marvel is not in that position.

Muppets just don’t sell. Disney has shown a fascination/loyalty to it that’s hard to explain. But it is what it is.

It's baffling all right. There's not much puppet merch even in the WDW gift shop that's supposed to be dedicated to them. And why? The merch doesn't sell. NO, Disney's not being mean to the poor little feltwads by not putting more merch in there. It's not there because it doesn't sell. Period. I think the reason the theater show, despite being very dated (please spare me the "Last Thing That Jim Henson Worked On And Thus Must Remain Forever A Shrine" crap) is that TDO is too cheap to change it out. Not that it won't happen someday. I think that's pretty much guaranteed. They were kicked out of their theater at Disneyland and now something much better is in their place. So I think it's only a matter of time (and budget) that they'll lose their place at WDW too. You'll notice that they're not in any other Disney park worldwide. So again, I think their eviction is only a matter of time. We'll see...

BlakeW39

I may be wrong, but I feel like a buyout/deal is around the corner for FL so that they can use the Marvel characters everywhere
Neither of them really benefit from giving up that deal. Hence the reason why it’s never even discussed

Oh I would not be surprised. As a Marvel fan, it was always said that Disney would never get Spider-Man back. They were doing fine without him, they didn't need him, thus they wouldn't make the effort. They were wrong. Then they said the same thing about the even crazier X-Men and Fantastic Four. They were wrong then as well. So don't rule out the possibility of it happening. Also don'y count on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom