Marvel Studios Developing Asian Superhero Film ‘Shang-Chi’

doctornick

The teaser did not captivate me either, but I actually feel like it's like that for most of the MCU teasers. The earliest Black Panther one - which this has been compared to a lot - also seemed rather pedestrian to me and it ended up being a great film. I'm also not much of a fan of martial arts films, so that action stuff doesn't necessarily entice me, but I'm sure it will be well choreographed.

I think the biggest issue with Shang-Chi in general is that we have gotten no Marvel easter egg hinting to it before - except to the extent that the Ten rings/Mandarin has been around which is pretty subtle and over time/not recent - and so it seems less "connected". That said, I'm actually probably more intrigued to learn how they will connect it to the MCU at large, as you know there will be some specific stuff. And it won't be a generic king fu movie because at the very least you'll have the Mandarin using the powers of his rings. I also wonder if the Blip will come into play about the father/son relationship or the functioning of the Ten Rings in some way

I do love that the MCU is continuing to explore other genres of film. Helps give different films a unique "flavor".

DCLcruiser

The teaser did not captivate me either, but I actually feel like it's like that for most of the MCU teasers. The earliest Black Panther one - which this has been compared to a lot - also seemed rather pedestrian to me and it ended up being a great film. I'm also not much of a fan of martial arts films, so that action stuff doesn't necessarily entice me, but I'm sure it will be well choreographed.

I think the biggest issue with Shang-Chi in general is that we have gotten no Marvel easter egg hinting to it before - except to the extent that the Ten rings/Mandarin has been around which is pretty subtle and over time/not recent - and so it seems less "connected". That said, I'm actually probably more intrigued to learn how they will connect it to the MCU at large, as you know there will be some specific stuff. And it won't be a generic king fu movie because at the very least you'll have the Mandarin using the powers of his rings. I also wonder if the Blip will come into play about the father/son relationship or the functioning of the Ten Rings in some way

I do love that the MCU is continuing to explore other genres of film. Helps give different films a unique "flavor".
I saw a rumor that the movie takes place during the blip, since Ant-Man isn't involved (the movie is in San Fran), but that could be wrong.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

My thoughts...

1) Moving from rings to bracelets helps to differentiate them from the infinity stones which were mostly worn on knuckles (close to rings).

2) Bracelets can be sold as toys w/o risk of choking or being too small to notice. Plus, bracelets can be sold to a wide range of ages and even at Alex and Ani/Pandora to adults/teens.

Now, regarding the super power aspect, it appears in the trailer that the rings give the wearer the ability to control elements, example shown is water. So... that could lead to a more supernatural/powerful capability for Shang-Chi if in the end he gets the rings. Plus, there are foo-dogs lol.
So he is battling Captain Planet?

Jedijax719

Shang-Chi will have 45 day exclusive theatrical window.
That's quite odd. What happens after that? Does it go to D+ for $29.99 in addition to remaining in the theater? Does it go to D+ for $29.99 and leave the theater? Does it go to D+ for "free"?(I'd think that latter would happen after about 90 days). Does it go to D+ for less than the normal $29.99 considering that there will be no mask mandate and most theaters will fully be open?

Like I said, this is rather odd.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's quite odd. What happens after that? Does it go to D+ for $29.99 in addition to remaining in the theater? Does it go to D+ for $29.99 and leave the theater? Does it go to D+ for "free"?(I'd think that latter would happen after about 90 days). Does it go to D+ for less than the normal $29.99 considering that there will be no mask mandate and most theaters will fully be open?

Like I said, this is rather odd.
Traditionally, the theatrical exclusivity window was 75-90 days before moving through onto the other windows (PPV, premium cable, DVD, broadcast, streaming, etc...).

In this age of COVID when no or very few theaters were open, and the ones that were open had reduced capacity, studios had few choices:
  • delay release until theaters are fully back (Eternals)
  • release to limited theaters and hope you'll do well as one of the few movies available (Tenet)
  • sell to a third party streamer, such as Netflix (Woman in the Window, Army of the Dead)
  • use your own streaming-affiliated service and release as 'free' or as 'pay per view' (Soul)
  • use a hybrid of PPV and theaters simultaneously (Raya)

Disney chose several options: Soul was released on D+ for 'free.' Mulan was Premium Access. Raya was a hybrid Premium Access (Black Widow, Jungle Cruise, and Cruella will also be hybrid). And Disney is releasing Free Guy and Shang-Chi to theaters, but with a 45 day window.

That 45 day window is generous. For now, Paramount and Universal are releasing to theaters with a 30 day window.

Warner Bros is releasing all their movies this year directly to HBO Max. That's a 0 day window.

Jedijax719

Traditionally, the theatrical exclusivity window was 75-90 days before moving through onto the other windows (PPV, premium cable, DVD, broadcast, streaming, etc...).

In this age of COVID when no or very few theaters were open, and the ones that were open had reduced capacity, studios had few choices:
  • release to limited theaters and hope you'll do well as one of the few movies available (Tenet)
  • sell to a third party streamer, such as Netflix (Woman in the Window, Army of the Dead)
  • use your own streaming-affiliated service and release as 'free' or as 'pay per view' (Soul)

Disney chose several options: Soul was released on D+ for 'free.' Mulan was Premium Access. Raya was a hybrid Premium Access (Black Widow, Jungle Cruise, and Cruella will also be hybrid). And Disney is releasing Free Guy and Shang-Chi to theaters, but with a 45 day window.

That 45 day window is generous. For now, Paramount and Universal are releasing to theaters with a 30 day window.

Warner Bros is releasing all their movies this year directly to HBO Max. That's a 0 day window.
Yeah I read that it will move to streaming after the 45-day window. I guess the big question is whether it will be free (with subscription)or will we have to pay for it (PA). Unless I missed something in what I read, I am guessing that will be later determined.

I also cannot imagine using a 45-day window forever. Spiderman NWH, for example, will have a MUCH higher demand. After 45 days, where does THAT stream?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah I read that it will move to streaming after the 45-day window. I guess the big question is whether it will be free (with subscription)or will we have to pay for it (PA). Unless I missed something in what I read, I am guessing that will be later determined.

I also cannot imagine using a 45-day window forever. Spiderman NWH, for example, will have a MUCH higher demand. After 45 days, where does THAT stream?
I very highly doubt that once a movie has been in theaters that it will be premium on D+.

The 45 day window (and 30 for other studios) is a fluid situation, I'm sure.

Ripken10

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Warner Bros just (like within 2 weeks) make an agreement with one of the movie theaters that ended (I can't remember as of when...I thought it was summer sometime) the deal with HBO Max.

It's friday, so my brain isn't working. Part of what I am saying is true, I just don't remember all the details so it could be you are right too.

Jedijax719

Reading other articles and sites, I am going to guess (just my speculation) that the 45-day theatrical exclusive window will be followed by a period of POV time while it is still in theaters. Perhaps something like this:
45 days: theaters only
30-45 days: theaters and Premium Access on D+.
Then it will come to D+ for "free" while also being released on home media and digital download. That will be 75-90 days after its initial theatrical debut.

Jedijax719

Yay! I fully expected the full trailer in time for Black Widow's release (it would be 2 months which is right in line for full trailers). Getting it earlier is a bonus! Can't wait to see more!

By the end of the summer (August or early September) we should see a full Eternals trailer as well. Add to that at least a teaser this summer for Spidey No Way Home and things are really getting exciting!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom