Marvel Studios Developing Asian Superhero Film ‘Shang-Chi’

seascape

Given that movies scheduled for this year are being moved back a year, expect more productions to be moved back. Basically, this will push the movie schedule back close ru o a year. Disney, Universal, Sony and the rest of the movie companies will lose billions in revenue this year. The theaters are also in very poor shape. It will recover but 2020 is lost.

Mouse Trap

Given that movies scheduled for this year are being moved back a year, expect more productions to be moved back. Basically, this will push the movie schedule back close ru o a year. Disney, Universal, Sony and the rest of the movie companies will lose billions in revenue this year. The theaters are also in very poor shape. It will recover but 2020 is lost.

If it doesn't last longer than 2 months then Shang-Chi has a decent chance of being released on time. Editing work might go on during this time - no idea how much has been filmed tho.

Last edited:

seascape

If it doesn't last longer than 2 months then Shang-Chi has a decent chance of being released on time. Editing work might go on during this time - no idea how much has been filmed tho.
I hope the second half of the year recovers but the year will be a disaster. Thankfully, it gives me more time to watch old Disney movies on Disney plus and some great shows on Hulu.

Darkprime

Doesn't look like a whole lot of social distancing on that set which is interesting. I guess when you test everyone that often its probably not needed but with a couple of states in Australia going back into lockdown I hope they dont have to shutdown production again.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Mike S

LSLS

Probably my most anticipated MCU movie introducing a new hero. A martial arts action film from them is going to be SICK. Tbh though I actually haven’t seen many martial arts movies 🤣

Funny, I think this is my least anticipated. Maybe because I have never heard of him before like I had for most of the other stand alone movies? Now, that could all change (actually, most likely WILL change) once a trailer drops.

erasure fan1

Now, that could all change (actually, most likely WILL change) once a trailer drops.
Yea that is how it seems to go with the lesser known heros. I was very skeptical of guardians and antman until the trailers hit, then I was all in. This one I really know nothing about so the trailer is going to be everything for me.
The fake mandarin in Iron Man 3 was a damn joke. No pun intended.
That really didn't bother me that much. I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to see the real mandarin. But I thought it was an ok twist. I think they should have put that short scene they did for the home video as an end credit scene. That would have helped knowing the mandarin was coming.

DisneyTransport

I'm probably most excited to see the real mandarin finally introduced played by an amazing actor. The fake mandarin in Iron Man 3 was a damn joke. No pun intended.
That whole movie was a joke imo... like why did all these suits suddenly disintegrate with the lightest of hits? I love iron man but I definitely block 3 from my memory!

NateD1226

Original Poster
Awkwafina talks to Style Caster about her character in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and how Shang-Chi avoids Asian tropes.

There’s a little bit of me in every character I play, which is a good and bad thing. I do feel like I can relate to her. I can’t say much about the role, but I can say that she is thrust into a world where she doesn’t really know what to do. At the same time, she’s discovering things about herself. The Marvel universe is incredible. To work within it is like utopia. Nothing goes wrong. Everyone is so supportive. Everyone is super passionate and into it at every level. I’m really excited for people to see it.
When you think about certain things that have characterized Asians and Asian Americans in American media, you think about things like kung fu and martial arts. While this movie is actually about that, we were able to work with world-class stunt teams of people where this is their livelihood. So the authenticity that the studio and Destin approached those tropes is very, very special. When you want to avoid certain things, you have to be authentic with it. You have to do it the right way. Everything that this movie is about in terms of the culture and also the action movie genre, it’s authentic every way through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom