Marvel Studios Developing Asian Superhero Film ‘Shang-Chi’

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

No matter how well SC ends up doing, No Way Home is gonna squash it. Not trying to undermine SC's success, but.....Spiderman ya know.
Um Spider-Man: No Way Home is going to do EndGame level of business. It is going to easily beat Shang-Chi on its opening weekend without breaking a sweat. You got all 3 Spideys coming together against their respective villians all on screen. Fans have been dying for this. The trailer alone broke you tube records.

Wendy Pleakley

Um Spider-Man: No Way Home is going to do EndGame level of business. It is going to easily beat Shang-Chi on its opening weekend without breaking a sweat. You got all 3 Spideys coming together against their respective villians all on screen. Fans have been dying for this. The trailer alone broke you tube records.

Spider-Man: Far From Home earned $1.13 billion worldwide.

This year, during a pandemic, Spider-Man: No Way Home is going to earn $2.8 billion.

Quite the jump.

You heard it here first folks.

Jedijax719

No Way Home will probably do somewhere around Rise of Skywalker or Rogue One numbers domestically. WW it will probably do a billion or so....maybe between 1.2 and 1.5 billion. That's my guess. Just a guess.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No Way Home will probably do somewhere around Rise of Skywalker or Rogue One numbers domestically. WW it will probably do a billion or so....maybe between 1.2 and 1.5 billion. That's my guess. Just a guess.
It'll honestly depend on the state of the pandemic in Dec/Jan and the public's comfort level going back into theaters. We're still not hitting pre-pandemic levels and probably won't for a long time, indicating the public is still not 100% willing to go back to theaters. So to say its going to do x amount is really just a guess like you said.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Um Spider-Man: No Way Home is going to do EndGame level of business.

Sorry but that is going to be impossible without a China release. And right now there is no China release date for any Marvel movies, not even for Venom 2 which isn't even MCU related.

Also to say its going to do Endgame level business just here in the US, well that too is a far fetch of a claim. SM:FFH only did $390M and it was the highest grossing Spider-Man movie ever. So to say its going to do more than SM:FFH and Endgame, which made $858M in the US, during a pandemic shows how much you don't understand not only the movie business but the public's willingness to go to the movies during a pandemic.

My guess is that SM:NWH will do on the high side at most about $375M-$425M in the US. Which while more than Shang-Chi isn't Endgame levels as you claim will happen.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Sorry but that is going to be impossible without a China release. And right now there is no China release date for any Marvel movies, not even for Venom 2 which isn't even MCU related.

Also to say its going to do Endgame level business just here in the US, well that too is a far fetch of a claim. SM:FFH only did $390M and it was the highest grossing Spider-Man movie ever. So to say its going to do more than SM:FFH and Endgame, which made $858M in the US, during a pandemic shows how much you don't understand not only the movie business but the public's willingness to go to the movies during a pandemic.

My guess is that SM:NWH will do on the high side at most about $375M-$425M in the US. Which while more than Shang-Chi isn't Endgame levels as you claim will happen.
Famous last words. You'll see.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Shang-Chi after today will be over $200M domestically, and over $367M globally.

Its the highest grossing movie of the pandemic, and of 2021. Its not going to be the highest grossing movie in the MCU, but that is not because of the movie, but rather is clearly due to the pandemic and only that. To say otherwise is just fooling oneself, or more likely just trolling.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Its the highest grossing movie of the pandemic, and of 2021. Its not going to be the highest grossing movie in the MCU, but that is not because of the movie, but rather is clearly due to the pandemic and only that. To say otherwise is just fooling oneself, or more likely just trolling.
Spider Man will easily crush it

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Spider Man will easily crush it
As has just been stated, you've said that already and no one is really disagreeing with you. However I will say that its very possible it won't be the highest grossing movie of 2021, that will still possibly be Shang-Chi. With only being released 2 weeks prior to the end of 2021 its hard for SM:NWH to break even $200M in the short period of time during a pandemic.

So I don't have any doubt SM:NWH will make more than Shang-Chi, and all I have to say is so what. They are both MCU movies, and both add to the story of the overall franchise. It really doesn't matter that you aren't interested in one and are interested in the other. Shang-Chi is still the number one movie of 2021 and will likely continue to be so until the end of the year.

LSLS

Highest grossing domestic. It's nowhere close to worldwide, just for clarification.

LSLS

You are correct, but we’ve been talking domestic. 😃

Yup, just wanted to make sure it was clarified. I knew what you were saying, but just in case others weren't following along.

Still did better than I expected. I was actually somewhat closer to the side of happy ghost that it would do poorly, but I'm willing to admit I was wrong on that. Of course it's not as good as a lot of others for a variety of reasons, but still more than I expected.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

As has just been stated, you've said that already and no one is really disagreeing with you. However I will say that its very possible it won't be the highest grossing movie of 2021, that will still possibly be Shang-Chi. With only being released 2 weeks prior to the end of 2021 its hard for SM:NWH to break even $200M in the short period of time during a pandemic.

So I don't have any doubt SM:NWH will make more than Shang-Chi, and all I have to say is so what. They are both MCU movies, and both add to the story of the overall franchise. It really doesn't matter that you aren't interested in one and are interested in the other. Shang-Chi is still the number one movie of 2021 and will likely continue to be so until the end of the year.
Spider Man will be the highest grossing movie of the year. Easily.

Ripken10

That is pretty much a given. That also doesn't make Shang-Chi a flop.
As has been stated several times, it is actually unlikely Spider-man will be the top movie in 2021. It will make too much money in 2022, and likely not enough in 2021 to get that distinction. It may in fact make more money than Shang-Chi, but as for as which movie makes the most money in 2021, it is a tough hill to climb for Spider-man due to it's release date.

Wendy Pleakley

As has been stated several times, it is actually unlikely Spider-man will be the top movie in 2021. It will make too much money in 2022, and likely not enough in 2021 to get that distinction. It may in fact make more money than Shang-Chi, but as for as which movie makes the most money in 2021, it is a tough hill to climb for Spider-man due to it's release date.

Does anyone honestly care about this nitpicky distinction? Especially when we're looking at which is the most successful movie?

If I care about box office rankings I'm going to look at the top grossing movie released in 2021.

No one is going to say Spider-Man was the third highest grossing movie of 2021 and the fourth highest grossing movie of 2022. That's silly.

Ripken10

Does anyone honestly care about this nitpicky distinction? Especially when we're looking at which is the most successful movie?

If I care about box office rankings I'm going to look at the top grossing movie released in 2021.

No one is going to say Spider-Man was the third highest grossing movie of 2021 and the fourth highest grossing movie of 2022. That's silly.
That's certainly your opinion but not how most box office tracking sites do it. The top movie of a particular year is the the movie that earned the most during that calendar year. A movie released on December 30th will have most of it's income in the following year. That's just how the industry does it. You can still find list that show the top movies for a year based on their release date, but it is not common and not who they will note as the top performer in 2021. Same goes for which movie studio earns the most in 2021. They show that based on Jan 1st to Dec 31st, regardless if they put a movie out a few days before the new year and earns most of it's money the following year.

Wendy Pleakley

That's certainly your opinion but not how most box office tracking sites do it. The top movie of a particular year is the the movie that earned the most during that calendar year. A movie released on December 30th will have most of it's income in the following year. That's just how the industry does it. You can still find list that show the top movies for a year based on their release date, but it is not common and not who they will note as the top performer in 2021. Same goes for which movie studio earns the most in 2021. They show that based on Jan 1st to Dec 31st, regardless if they put a movie out a few days before the new year and earns most of it's money the following year.

Sure, but this is just a discussion, not "the industry".

In a discussion about what the most successful movie of the year will be, how things are reported and tallied don't reflect the reality.

At the end of the day, this is just speculation fueled by someone who can't accept that Chang-Chi is a hit and is looking for ways to discredit it, for, reasons?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom