Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Disney Analyst

How different do you consider the different games within Toy Story Midway Mania!? While the attraction is definitely one of the most popular shooting rides, that enthusiasm seems to stem from its very simple interface. The whole story of being a playset under Andy’s bed is not well communicated and is more an afterthought to justify an aesthetic choice. The technology and gameplay is the dominate focus and purpose of the attraction. Showing off simple bus bar dark ride technology is not a major focus of the Fantasyland dark rides, it’s a simple means to tell the story. It’s definitely possible that in this iteration the ride system is more tertiary, but there isn’t much space to establish that larger focus.

Sure, but aesthetically, speed, pacing, storytelling all very similar in those attractions. It’s just a thought that popped in my head. This is essentially a modern day equivalent of a fantasyland attraction scenario.

DanielBB8

I'll give you that CM was poorly used in Endgame (which they shot first before her solo film)
But Ant-Man is FAR from the worst character. Like, seriously. Without him, (and that rat) there is no victory.
I should clarify. Ant-Man was the least popular character from box office receipts. He’s not the worst character. The worst character is Captain Marvel.

I wonder why Vision didn’t return since the Solar stone was returned. He was one character that I missed.

kibia16

I should clarify. Ant-Man was the least popular character from box office receipts. He’s not the worst character. The worst character is Captain Marvel.

I wonder why Vision didn’t return since the Solar stone was returned. He was one character that I missed.

Vision was destroyed by Thanos when he took the Mind Stone from his head.
Also:
The mind stone was destroyed by Thanos. The one used in Endgame was taken from the past and returned by Captain America at the end of the Movie.

DanielBB8

Vision was destroyed by Thanos when he took the Mind Stone from his head.
Also:
The mind stone was destroyed by Thanos. The one used in Endgame was taken from the past and returned by Captain America at the end of the Movie.
I thought the destruction by Thanos could be further undone before he snapped his fingers. Thus the timeline that allows for Vision will continue.

Mac Tonight

Like 99% sure. The exterior renderings of both look very similar and the aerial views of the DCA construction space looks like a nearly perfect match.
OK, I'm just checking. And there's 0% chance that this could theoretically still utilize the swinging pendulum system?

captveg

My guess is that the "new tech" is the wall screen tech that is being used for MMRR, but enhanced to be target sensitive. So, rather than using 3D glasses and stations like TSMM the entire wall on the left or right is SM familiar settings - NY skyline, alleys, science labs, whatever - and everything can be targeted / shot with webbing, but the points will vary based on what you decide to shoot. Biggest points for villains, obviously.

My highest hope for this ride would have been use of hanging Peter Pan like vehicles to replicate the webswinging like the pendulum blueprints indicated, but it's not looking like that is in the cards, unless those new blueprints are hiding that the ride vehicles are attached to ceiling rather than the floor.

mickEblu

My guess is that the "new tech" is the wall screen tech that is being used for MMRR, but enhanced to be target sensitive. So, rather than using 3D glasses and stations like TSMM the entire wall on the left or right is SM familiar settings - NY skyline, alleys, science labs, whatever - and everything can be targeted / shot with webbing, but the points will vary based on what you decide to shoot. Biggest points for villains, obviously.

My highest hope for this ride would have been use of hanging Peter Pan like vehicles to replicate the webswinging like the pendulum blueprints indicated, but it's not looking like that is in the cards, unless those new blueprints are hiding that the ride vehicles are attached to ceiling rather than the floor.

Not sure what WDI is waiting for to give us another attraction with a modern day version of Peter Pans ride system.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Makes you wonder if he has a license to pilot that drone over Disneyland property. I'm pretty sure it's an FAA no fly zone.

The fly zones over MK and DL do exist but they're not impenetrable.

You can fly around the zone (~3 miles radius) or over it, it's capped at 3K ft. heightwise, and use a telephoto camera to peer into the zone.

At WDW, that's what many of the aerial photographers do for parts of Epcot that's in the zone (DAK and DHS are totally outside the zone). And most of those photographers use tourist helicopter/plane rentals.

We've seen aerial's of DL's SWL a few months ago from a professional aerial photography company that flew over the zone and had cameras mounted to the underside of their plane.

Or, you can get permission to go into the no fly zone. The zone was created by Congress but administered by the FAA. The FAA doesn't like the idea of these no fly zones and so, they seem to grant automatically any requests to go through it. You just have to fill out the paperwork and submit a flight plan.

It seems that bioreconstruct got that permission for this round of pictures.

All youse Caleyforneeans should got to his Twitter right now and see all the aerials of DLR there.

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct

Mouse Trap

I was wondering about this as well. I really don't follow the MCU at all, but from my understanding the general timeframe and volume of content created is roughly equivalent to a TV series, and one that's more-or-less come to its finale with the latest film

The reason TV is rarely used for permanent fixtures in the park is that by its very nature it's tied to the zeitgeist of a particular moment in time. A film's popularity can ebb and flow over time as people discover new things about it or let it fade into their memory. A TV show's popularity needs to remain high in order to justify the ongoing production costs; when the popularity dies down or the story ends, the show is cancelled and generally forgotten.

[Edit: On the flipside, if a TV show continues ad infinitum, you run the risk of having an attraction that is completely out of date with the show's current content, and risks overlooking favorite moments, settings, and characters that could otherwise be incorporated. It would be akin to having something based on only Act II of a 5 act play. To an extent, this is also an issue with all of Disney's recent hyper-detailed franchise-based lands: Carsland and Pandora are set between the 1st and 2nd film of their respective franchises, while Galaxy's Edge is set during the 3rd trilogy.]

In the 64 year history of Disney parks, there have only been a handful of "permanent" attractions with roots in TV (Davy Crockett Frontier Museum, Gadget's Go-Coaster, Kim Possible/Agent P World Showcase Adventure), all of which lingered around well past their shows had ended and were forgotten by the general public (I'm excluding the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes, since the connection is in name only). Heck, both overlays of the World Showcase interactive game began after the respective series had already been cancelled. Similar to the perennial Tomorrowland problem, as much as I'd like for Disney to keep current with their content for TV-related attractions, I recognize that's just not going to happen.

While it's current popularity is undeniable, I really question the wisdom of adding such a large and permanent area to the parks related to the MCU. From my understanding, End Game largely wrapped up the loose ends and sent the main characters on their way; will people still care about the Avengers in 10-15 years? Or will it be like having a major theme park area devoted to Lost, High School Musical, or Desperate Housewives?

Ummm are we forgetting Marvel Comics have been popular for decades?

No one is going into IOA and saying “that’s not spider-man”. It’s still the second most popular land/attraction in the park.

They aren’t going to start doing that at DCA either. People have loved Spider-Man, Cap, Iron Man, etc for decades regardless of physical interpretation. Comparing the lasting legacy of Marvel Comics and its heroes to a tv show as if it’s a blip in pop culture makes no sense.

truecoat

I tried squishing the DLP blue print onto the DL site and it kinda fits but it's obvious they aren't exactly the same.

marvel land aerial.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom